Why become a member? ×

String Spacing and other similar measurements

dc2009

Hi all,

Just been considering string spacing as I see it is mentioned a lot on here. It has also got me thinking about neck width at nut, fingerboard radius and neck radius/profile.
I have realised that I have never even bothered looking at what this figure is for any bass I have looked at or even bought. I have always considered 5ers to be much of a muchness in these departments and never really thought much more of it. Now, trying to find out what the string spacing, neck width and radius are, I am struggling to find the information, even for my Warwick.

So I guess I'm asking a) where can you find such information if the manufacturer's site doesn't make it obvious, is there a comparison site?
:) How much do these figures affect play, are certain numbers better for certain playing styles, and is one manufacturer known to make, really wide necks, or really closely packed strings, for example?
I know I dislike the thick neck profile on fender p's, but is this down to the shape profile, the radius, or a mix of both, and where can I find information about this on other basses?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

If it's never bothered you before then it's probably advisable not to down that particular slippery slope into bass nerddom which will ultimately narrow down you choices and cost you money. I love that I can play any bass I pick up (although I do have preferences to scale, neck profile and width). I feel sorry for (and sometimes sceptical to valididity of) those comments which claim that bass xyz is unplayable because it has 1 or 2 mm difference here and there.

Just my 2p like. :)

I don't think there's one particular source for all this information ... except some website called Basschat or something. :)

IME spacing varies from 19mm (most 4-string Fenders) down to 14mm (Hofners and Rickenbackers, IIRC), and can be almost anything between for either 4-string or 5-string basses.

I play mainly fingerstyle and I like to dig in, so I play only 19mm spacing on 4-string basses, and I still like 19mm spacing even on my 5-string basses (see [url="http://tinypic.com/a/236uo/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/236uo/3[/url] for example) but this leads to a very wide fretboard of course.

I find 18mm spacing on a 5-string just about acceptable (see [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2k3kg/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2k3kg/3[/url] and [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2m78j/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2m78j/3[/url] for example) but anything less than that I find unplayable. This has led to me selling a number of really very good basses over the years.

When I was new to basses and playing very lightly (i.e. timidly, with my fingertips) I was perfectly happy with vintage Hofners ... these days I can only play them comfortably with a pick. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1257431' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:19 PM']I feel sorry for (and sometimes sceptical to valididity of) those comments which claim that bass xyz is unplayable because it has 1 or 2 mm difference here and there.[/quote]

Hmmm ... oh alright then, not "unplayable" but just not so easy or as much fun. When I play a 5-string with 17mm spacing, for example, my playing is all over the place and I'm constantly brushing strings that I didn't mean to touch.

That's not through unfamilarity. I've owned basses with 16.5mm and 17mm and 17.5mm string spacing, and I played them all for a while before deciding to move them on. For me, it just didn't feel right.

It's worth mentioning that I've never had a problem switching from 1 1/2" at the nut to 1 7/8" which I know many are sensitive to. For me, it's the [i][b]right [/b][/i]hand that defines what feels comfortable on string spacing.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1257444' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:27 PM']Hmmm ... oh alright then, not "unplayable" but just not so easy or as much fun. When I play a 5-string with 17mm spacing, for example, my playing is all over the place and I'm constantly brushing strings that I didn't mean to touch.

That's not through unfamilarity. I've owned basses with 16.5mm and 17mm and 17.5mm string spacing, and I played them all for a while before deciding to move them on. For me, it just didn't feel right.

It's worth mentioning that I've never had a problem switching from 1 1/2" at the nut to 1 7/8" which I know many are sensitive to. For me, it's the [i][b]right [/b][/i]hand that defines what feels comfortable on string spacing.[/quote]

Yeah see this kind of personal idea I find interesting. Though as ou7shined says, perhaps I don't want to get into caring, because it will narrow my choices, but then I understand the flipside that is that if I play only basses with a narrower tolerance of such measurements, perhaps my playing will improve and be more consistent as a result.

Also what is the string spacing definition? I assume it's centre line to centre line?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1257444' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:27 PM']Hmmm ... oh alright then, not "unplayable" but just not so easy or as much fun. When I play a 5-string with 17mm spacing, for example, my playing is all over the place and I'm constantly brushing strings that I didn't mean to touch.

That's not through unfamilarity. I've owned basses with 16.5mm and 17mm and 17.5mm string spacing, and I played them all for a while before deciding to move them on. For me, it just didn't feel right. ......[/quote]
But if you reeeeealy worked on you'd crack it right? I'm not saying you're wrong... but you know what I mean?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1257452' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:39 PM'].... perhaps my playing will improve and be more consistent as a result....[/quote]
That's how they try and get ya. :)
I play guitar too. How loopy would I sound if I insisted on playing only guitars that had my preferred bass settings (should such a thing exist)?

String spacing generally refers to the dimensions at the bridge but if specified can mean at the nut too. Measured centre to centre - if you do this, it soon becomes apparent that with the differing width in strings that the preciseness (and therefore part of the theory) kinda goes out the window... I prefer to use it as nothing more than a guide.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1257431' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:19 PM']If it's never bothered you before then it's probably advisable not to down that particular slippery slope into bass nerddom which will ultimately narrow down you choices and cost you money. I love that I can play any bass I pick up (although I do have preferences to scale, neck profile and width). I feel sorry for (and sometimes sceptical to valididity of) those comments which claim that bass xyz is unplayable because it has 1 or 2 mm difference here and there.

Just my 2p like. :)[/quote]

+1 if its got strings, you hum it and i will play it (badly) :)

I think knowing these dimensions helps understanding why I seem to like bass A and B, but not C, and I'm undecided about D.

For me, the single most important factor deciding whether I like a bass or not is the neck. Yes, I can play pretty much any out there, but some just feel right. It's a combination of width, profile shape, radius...

I used to think narrow spacing on a 5 string was the way for me. Until I found I am much more at home with a wider version if the neck is relatively shallow. That allows me to scan for 19-20mm inter-string spacing basses and focus on those when looking for my "ultimate" 5-string.

Similarly, years ago I thought a Jazz bass neck was my type. I had several thin necked basses... and then one day I realised I much preferred a Stingray neck: it is wider, but relatively shallow, and it just fits in my not-very-large hands much more comfortable than a Jazz neck does. I can and do play various types and profiles, but found wide and shallow works for me. For that reason my Warwick Corvette $$ ended up being sold. It sounded great, but the profile was too deep.
a couple or mm don't sound like much, but on Warwicks, where you can easily change string spacing, I experimented: I preferred the widest spacing I could manage whilst still keeping the strings on the fretboard.

Personal preference. It's good to be able to explain with specific words and numbers what it is that you seem to favour.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1257542' date='Jun 5 2011, 06:08 PM']For me, the single most important factor deciding whether I like a bass or not is the neck. Yes, I can play pretty much any out there, but some just feel right. It's a combination of width, profile shape, radius...[/quote]

Totally agree . . . . . I've always felt the neck dimensions and profile is by far the most important aspect of a bass (after all its not impossible to change the pickups on common popular makes of bass - but you can't do much in the way of aftermarket neck modifications ! !) . . . and yet, manufactures advertising on the net hardly ever bother to say anything about the neck ?

So, I rarely buy a bass without trying it for this very reason . . . . its probably one of the strongest arguments for supporting Guitar Shops and not just going for the cheapest internet price !

I think I've contributed to a thread on this subject before . . . and I seem to remember someone enlightening me about a fender system of different neck widths and profiles that used to exist to help players understand exactly what the neck would be like (A, B and C necks etc . . . can anyone elaborate on this ?) . . . . but dear old fender don't, as far as I know, do this any more apparently . . . and the others never ever did as far as I know . .

Well . . . . thats progress for yee ! ! ! !

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1257465' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:58 PM']That's how they try and get ya. :)
I play guitar too. How loopy would I sound if I insisted on playing only guitars that had my preferred bass settings (should such a thing exist)?

String spacing generally refers to the dimensions at the bridge but if specified can mean at the nut too. Measured centre to centre - if you do this, it soon becomes apparent that with the differing width in strings that the preciseness (and therefore part of the theory) kinda goes out the window... I prefer to use it as nothing more than a guide.[/quote]

Well yeah I am very inclined to agree. As a guy who has an acoustic and electric guitar (I'm not very good but I enjoy them), along with 4 and 5 string basses of varying make etc, I am aware that it takes me a bit of adjustment if I pick up one after playing lots of another, but I can't say I massively prefer one over another, I sort of just pick up and play.

Though I do like mcnach's first sentence, I think it would help me make more reasoned decisions when considering a bass, obviously it isn't the be all and end all, something can have my favourite string spacing (if I have one) and still not feel right, and vice versa, though it might help me narrow down my searches a lot more methodically and with a little more reasoning behind it!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1257431' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:19 PM']I feel sorry for (and sometimes sceptical to valididity of) those comments which claim that bass xyz is unplayable because it has 1 or 2 mm difference here and there.

Just my 2p like. :)[/quote]

Im one of those that does feel it matters, although im not too hung up on it. The Squier CV High mass bridges are 20mm and i find that to be a bit uncomfortable. I changed the bridge on the P to a 19mm spaced Gotoh 201 and i do notice the difference between this and my Jazz which still has the stock bridge on it.

Unplayable? no, uncomfortable? yes, especially with a P neck that i also find a bit uncomfortable.

I decided to try 6 string bass approx 18mths - 2 yrs ago and bought a 16mm spacing sixer..
Being used to 18mm i found my right hand was catching other strings and was "out of sync" with my left hand.
Took me a little while to understand what was going on.
Then tried an 18mm sixer and lo and behold it fealt right.
Maybe there was more to it than that - who knows ?

Fact is the spacing made a difference to me with 6 string bass.

I have never over 35yrs noticed this issue with any 4 string bass for some odd reason.
Had everything from Fender P & J, Rick's, Shergolds, WAL, Ibanez, Yamaha, Warwick, Aria's and some I've probably forgotten.
So maybe it was simply the fact i was trying something new with the 6 stringers. ?

Dave

I think there's a difference between bridge and nut spacing that is often overlooked. Ibanez seem to have very close spacing for both on their SR series (which I would struggle with) whilst I prefer wide spacing as per Overwater and Lakland seem to do by default.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1257434' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:21 PM']I don't think there's one particular source for all this information ... except some website called Basschat or something. :)

IME spacing varies from 19mm (most 4-string Fenders) down to 14mm (Hofners and Rickenbackers, IIRC), and can be almost anything between for either 4-string or 5-string basses.[/quote]

I think there's a big problem here in that many sources measure differently. Rics 14mm??? They're more like 16.5mm to 17mm, but again it depends how you measure it. If you measure edge to edge then the distance will vary depending on your string gauge, and will be smaller. I tend to measure centre saddle to centre saddle....except when I don't :) . Centre to centre I tend to like 16 to 17mm, even on a 4. Rickenbacker and Alembic have the most natural 4 string spacing for me (no surprise there) but Alembic's spacing varies depending on string gauge; I know, I asked! My custom Rim (see Affiliates section) is going to be 16.5mm.

It actually makes a big difference to me because I generally play with a pick in a guitaristic fashion and I like a minimal hand movement; the narrower the spacing (up to a point) the less my hand has to move, which means more speed and accuracy. For some obviously this won't be a factor due to different technique; once again it's important to note that everyone is different.

Edited by 4000

I'd have said that the only place that a 1 or 2 mm change in measurements would make a difference is in string spacing. Fortunately, there's [s]an app for that[/s] bridges with adjustable string spacing available.
All you need add is pick-ups with bladed pole-pieces so your string alignment/output doesn't suffer...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1258649' date='Jun 6 2011, 05:24 PM']I'd have said that the only place that a 1 or 2 mm change in measurements would make a difference is in string spacing. Fortunately, there's [s]an app for that[/s] bridges with adjustable string spacing available.
All you need add is pick-ups with bladed pole-pieces so your string alignment/output doesn't suffer...[/quote]

providing the fingerboard is wide enough :)