Why become a member? ×

eMail received from the Kaiser Chiefs

Happy Jack

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1255538' date='Jun 3 2011, 03:18 PM']Rock turns to pyramid selling.[/quote]

I don't think you're serious but...

Not really. It's completely flat. If your mates make their own version based on yours, you don't get anything. They get a £1 and KC get the rest.

Anyway...

How is the artwork created? Is this a way to sell your artwork using their music marketing or do you have to use only their templates and stuff?

Edited by TimR

I think its a good creative idea, but if this catches on for some artists the loyalist fans will end up having to have all the tracks on offer , this means buying more than one album , me thinks it will get expensive for young fans of boy bands etc

Edited by lojo

I find it a bit of an odd approach. If a band decides that 20 tracks are worth releasing for an album, why would I want to pay for only half? And although I realise that it's 20 songs, I'm not keen on paying £15 for a full album either. The cynic in me would guess that there's probably going to be a bit of filler in there as well.

I have enough trouble keeping Nellie happy with a supply of mango, cheese and chips (but not all at once)

I think it's quite an interesting idea myself. I guess they hope die hard fans will create themselves a double album. I'm not so sure about making people choose 10 tracks or whatever but the DIY artwork bit is a great idea and a chance for people to show off their skills

ped

Ricky's explanation (email to Bob Lefsetz)

[url="http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/"]http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/[/url]

From Ricky Wilson Of The Kaiser Chiefs
Ricky Wilson, the lead singer of the Kaiser Chiefs, did not want me to print his e-mail, as you can tell by reading his missive below.

But I thought it was important. I asked him for permission, and he relented.

We live in changing times, and we’re most interested in those who try new things, who take risks. And the Kaiser Chiefs are doing that.

I’ve gotten a bunch of e-mail about this and I thought it best to hear the story from the horse’s mouth.

Ricky was anxious, worried about how he came across, but the sheer honesty was riveting, it gives you insight into the mind of the creator.

And in this modern era, where there is no barrier between act and fan, why should you hear the story from a middleman, who too often gets the facts wrong, never mind the nuances.

So, unedited, here is the original e-mail:

Hi Bob.
Ricky from the Kaiser Chiefs here. You well? Good.

We had this idea about a year ago. We wanted to do something a bit different for our 4th album. We also wanted to do something that involved the fans a bit more than usual. Take a look: www.kaiserchiefs.com Thought you might be interested to see where we’ve ended up, and to be honest we’d love to get your thoughts on it all.

To start with we thought it’d be great if everybody had their own unique album. You know, not just the music but the artwork too. That sort of rules out a physical release as it was going to cost a fortune to print and burn each one. It would have been a New Order ‘Blue Monday’ all over again.

I think we actually had a giant robot painting the album sleeves in a warehouse in our early plans. That was met with a lot of frowns at the label. So yeah, it’s a digital release.

What we did is record 20 tracks and people can pick 10 of them, in any order they like. It’s all done through a website. We had objects built that represent each song and you sort of wire them up to a machine to make your album. Then we got an artist to do an oil painting of each of those objects which people can use to piece together their artwork. So it’s a very tactile and old-fashioned looking way of making a digital album made up of computer data.

It’s £7.50 to buy. Seems fair to us. But we wanted to try something a bit different with that too. Now here’s our favourite bit (also the most unbelievably complex thing to build).

Once you’ve bought your album, you can sell it on. For every album you sell, we’ll give you a pound (or a dollar in your case). We’re giving people posters, banner adverts, a website, Facebook tools etc. etc. All to help them sell these albums. If you sell 8 you make a profit.

We’re quite excited about this. Why not make an album yourself? We wanted to reward the fans for being our fans and thought this could be nice.

We just sold all our tickets for our first two gigs exclusively on our facebook page, which worked a treat and we’re going to be getting fans to use Facebook polls to help us pick set-lists and stuff. God knows if it’ll work.

We’ve used a load of our own money to hire some really clever people to build the site and market it so we’re hopeful.

This definitely isn’t some sort of two-fingers-to-the-system thing. In fact our label Fiction have been very supportive.

It’s not supposed to be a massive statement to the world or a fight against anything. It was just fun and we needed that to be honest.

After three albums you need to shake things up a bit we think it’s led to our best ever music. I just wanted to draw your attention to it. I’d be over the moon if you made an album or talked about it, but I’d rather you didn’t publish this letter as I’ve been slightly more candid about the process than I would normally be in the public domain. I really respect your opinion on such matters and look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers
Ricky

[quote name='Lenny B' post='1256465' date='Jun 4 2011, 01:56 PM']This definitely isn’t some sort of two-fingers-to-the-system thing. In fact our label Fiction have been very supportive.

It’s not supposed to be a massive statement to the world or a fight against anything. It was just fun and we needed that to be honest.[/quote]

I like that.

Funnily enough, I too received an email from Ricky Wilson about the same subject. It was refreshingly honest:

[quote]Hi Skank

Thanks for the kip-over last week. Lovely breakfast, though the kippers kept repeating on me all the way home. What I was talking bout, the new album and stuff.

Basically, we recorded 20 tracks and no f***er could agree which were the best ones and the bass player got the hump because we'd already left two of his off. Bit too rhythmic and no real melodic development. So we thought f*** it, life's too short, let someone else decide, who gives a rat's ass anyway. Turns out no-one at the record company could remember who we were, let alone wanted to listen to it, so we were a bit stumped.

This went on for about a month. Then I saw this doo-dah about the Arab Spring and [i]Democracy[/i] and stuff and thought, why not? Let's dress it up as a concept, hoosh some 'interlectual' artwork onto it and get the mug punters to shill it out to their mates for a percentage.

Bit of a corker, eh?

All the best to Wayne, when you see him. Tell him I've got a Telecaster for him, if BigRedX doesn't want it

Yours Aye

Ricky[/quote]

Edited by skankdelvar