Why become a member? ×

eMail received from the Kaiser Chiefs

Happy Jack

Hello.

Click here to make your own version of our new album then sell it to your mates to make a profit.

What?

Yep, we know it's a bit of a weird concept to get your head around but bear with us. (Is it bear or bare???)

Right...

Our new album isn't a CD. It's digital. And no two copies are the same because each one is made by a different person. Like you!

The album is called The Future Is Medieval.

We've built a website where you can listen to 20 new songs. You can pick any 10 you like for your album and you can pick which order they go in.

Next you can design your own album cover. We can't wait for you to play around with that. It's brilliant.

Once you're happy with your album you can download it for £7.50

BUT WAIT...

You can earn that money back.

Yes! If anybody buys your lovingly created version of the album we'll pay you. You'll get £1 for each one sold.

So if you sell 8 albums, you'll make a profit. It doesn't matter where you are in the world, you can still do it.

We'll give you everything you need to sell it. Your own web-page, posters, adverts for your blog, facebook tools...

Now some of you might be thinking:

"HANG ON! I don't want to do all that.

I just want to listen to an album and download it if I like it.

I can't be arsed to sell it! Do that yourselves!"

Yep. That is completely fair and you can do that too by visiting the ALBUM H.Q. There you'll find the best selling versions of the album and some of our favourites too.

But we urge you to at least have a go at making an album. It's a try-before-you-buy affair.

CLICK HERE TO START

All the best

Nick, Peanut, Simon, Whitey & Ricky

This mailing is from Kaiser Chiefs to XXX

'All digital' eh? probably means that all 20 tracks are already available on Demonoid or similar for nowt. Still, any new angle to try and prise hard earned cash from the public should be investigated I suppose. Hope the songs are a bit better than some of them last time round though.

how come as a bass maker i'm not allowed to advertise my wares on basschat and posts are instantly deleted when all i'm asking for is a few opinions, and yet it's fine for every man and his dog to try and flog their cd's? sort it out mods. this is BASSchat after all, not sellmemusicchat. one for all and all for one!

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1255608' date='Jun 3 2011, 03:51 PM']how come as a bass maker i'm not allowed to advertise my wares on basschat and posts are instantly deleted when all i'm asking for is a few opinions, and yet it's fine for every man and his dog to try and flog their cd's? sort it out mods. this is BASSchat after all, not sellmemusicchat. one for all and all for one![/quote]

The purpose of the OP was to highlight a new technological development in music marketing, not to sell the Kaiser Chief's CD/download.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1255560' date='Jun 3 2011, 03:26 PM']Not sure I'd want to listen to one of their tracks let alone 20. I still haven't forgiven them for that brief period where it seemed that dreadful ruby song seemed to be played everywhere I went.

Novel concept, but why not just offer the lot for £15 and save all the farting about?[/quote]

Now some of you might be thinking:

"HANG ON! I don't want to do all that.

I just want to listen to an album and download it if I like it.

I can't be arsed to sell it! Do that yourselves!"

Yep. That is completely fair and you can do that too by visiting the ALBUM H.Q. There you'll find the best selling versions of the album and some of our favourites too.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1255608' date='Jun 3 2011, 03:51 PM']how come as a bass maker i'm not allowed to advertise my wares on basschat and posts are instantly deleted when all i'm asking for is a few opinions, and yet it's fine for every man and his dog to try and flog their cd's? sort it out mods. this is BASSchat after all, not sellmemusicchat. one for all and all for one![/quote]

PM me if you have a problem and we can discuss. Or were you joking?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1255624' date='Jun 3 2011, 04:03 PM']Careful, sunshine. I haven't bought anything but downloads for over 10 months now.[/quote]

I forgot you were modern jazz :)

I agree with you about the 'pyramid selling' actually. I don't like the sell our stuff to your mates bit.
The rest of it sounds fun and a good idea though.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1255705' date='Jun 3 2011, 05:11 PM']i'm not so sure :) bloody pluggers![/quote]

OK, it's true, my ID here on Basschat is in fact an elaborate sham.

My secret identity is that I am the marketing genius behind the Kaiser Chiefs. Far from being a soft southerner with a Home Counties accent, I am actually from Leeds and I talk like a character from Viz magazine. Those of you who have met me may be surprised at how old I am to be a "plugger" for an Indie band, but I have sworn a solemn oath not to reveal the secrets of my make-up artist ... I am of course not yet 30.

If this revelation has come as a surprise to you, then you had better be sitting down when Clarky and LowEndBee reveal who [i][b]they [/b][/i]really are.