Why become a member? ×

FYI... Fender Adam Clayton P bass!

Noisyjon

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1255209' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:18 AM']I have a 1957 Fender Catalogue & Price list. A Fender Precision in 1957 cost $225. After a little research (So don't shoot me), the average house price in California in 1957 was $4600, which works out at around 5% of the average house price. Todays market, with the average UK house price at £164k, would make a new fender P Bass at £8,000. Not sure what this tells you though?? This is not really comparable though, because at the time, in '57, there were no other basses available, so there is no comparism, as to whether Fenders were expensive, or cheap. They certainly didnt cheap out on quality parts in the 50's, and everything was hand finsihed. It wasnt until the mid 60's when they got cheap alternatives of almost all components, and started the 'production line' system of mass production.[/quote]
No other basses available in 1957?

Gibson EB1 first produced in 1953

Rickenbacker 4000 first produced in 1957

Hofner 500/1 first produced in 1956

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1255209' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:18 AM']I have a 1957 Fender Catalogue & Price list. A Fender Precision in 1957 cost $225. After a little research (So don't shoot me), the average house price in California in 1957 was $4600, which works out at around 5% of the average house price. Todays market, with the average UK house price at £164k, would make a new fender P Bass at £8,000. Not sure what this tells you though?? This is not really comparable though, because at the time, in '57, there were no other basses available, so there is no comparism, as to whether Fenders were expensive, or cheap. They certainly didnt cheap out on quality parts in the 50's, and everything was hand finsihed. It wasnt until the mid 60's when they got cheap alternatives of almost all components, and started the 'production line' system of mass production.[/quote]

I don't know that house prices are a good yardstick, how about wages?

Average Yearly Wage in 1967: $4.550.00
Average Yearly Wage in 2010: $39,856

relative cost of a Precision in 2010= $1970

Not sure what this tells us either!

and yes: Adam's bass looks like a nine year old girl has designed it based on what's available in her nail polish drawer.

I think it's a reasonably gaudy bass (nobody look at my signature to suggest that I play either "loud or "gaudy" basses!!). On the other hand I generally don't like Fenders per se. The Warwick reverso was hideous and I'm sure a kneecap wrecker.

I went from really liking AC to thinking he was hugely overated. Probably, because I went off U2 after Pop. Just a thought.

Would I pay £4k for a precision? Not a chance. Depends if you think it's worth it or not.

Edited by Wolverinebass

" They haven't exactly been banging albums out and I guess they ran out of things to say"
[/quote]

Just like the Beatles then, plus, how many 'good' albums did they make??

I'm not defending U2, but i think its difficult to genuinly criticise them, and substantiate it, they have a pretty good defence against most comments i think??

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1255222' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:30 AM']No other basses available in 1957?

Gibson EB1 first produced in 1953

Rickenbacker 4000 first produced in 1957

Hofner 500/1 first produced in 1956[/quote]

That was a comment aimed at the general music world in '57.

Gibson EB1 - Nobody bought one
Rickenbacker 4000 - Not marketed, almost nobody bought one, and the 4001, which came from the 4000, didnt really get off the ground until 7 years later, in '64
Hofner 500/1 - Only available in Germany, and again, almost nobody bought one until a certain Mr. M made it popular in '62/'63, again 6 years later.

Fender Precision sales, whilst slow in the first 2 years (Mostly because people couldnt get their head around it, compared with uprights), very rapidly increased, consistently from 1953, to where they probably had a 95% of bass market share by '57.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1255164' date='Jun 3 2011, 10:42 AM']....fender have also given everyone, despite budget restrictions, the opportunity to own a Fender...[/quote]
Why is that so great? So you can say "Look everyone, I have a Fender.... not a very good one... but it's a Fender"?
Again, it's an image. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1255275' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:59 AM']Why is that so great? So you can say "Look everyone, I have a Fender.... not a very good one... but it's a Fender"?
Again, it's an image. :)[/quote]

I didnt say it was great? I was just making a point that they have decided to make their instruments accessible to all.

Spector basses were supposed to be good, then they made £300 versions, so they lsot credibility. Warwick did the same, everyone does it. DFender are just more honest about it.

Didnt say it was 'great', in fact if you've ever seen an Indonesian Precision, they are anything [i]but[/i] great!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1255265' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:52 AM']...I'm not defending U2, but i think its difficult to genuinly criticise them, and substantiate it, they have a pretty good defence against most comments i think??[/quote]
They have a handful of good songs spanning the years and a promotion/managmet team who are astonishingly good at their jobs. As for "the best rock band on the planet"? Oh please.
There I just did it. :)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1255293' date='Jun 3 2011, 12:06 PM']I didnt say it was great? I was just making a point that they have decided to make their instruments accessible to all.

Spector basses were supposed to be good, then they made £300 versions, so they lsot credibility. Warwick did the same, everyone does it. DFender are just more honest about it.

Didnt say it was 'great', in fact if you've ever seen an Indonesian Precision, they are anything [i]but[/i] great![/quote]
So we basically agree then. Cool. :)
Just as long as you know that they don't do it out of the kindness of their heart, they do it so that more people give them money.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1255302' date='Jun 3 2011, 12:13 PM']So we basically agree then. Cool. :)
Just as long as you know that they don't do it out of the kindness of their heart, they do it so that more people give them money.[/quote]

Of course, after all, that [i]is[/i] their business, is it not?

Just spotted this that had been up for sale on US EBay recently:

It was listed as an original 1964 Gold Sparkle Fender Jazz and there was some copy about AC having one very similar.

Maybe he's asked them to make a P bass to match the J he already has?

Personally I like it - but then I am the ex owner of a Bootsy Collins pearl sparkle star bass so what does that say about my taste in basses eh?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1255294' date='Jun 3 2011, 12:08 PM']They have a handful of good songs spanning the years and a promotion/managmet team who are astonishingly good at their jobs. As for "the best rock band on the planet"? Oh please.
There I just did it. :)[/quote]

I don't disagree, but i think they have stood the test of time, and they still produce original material, i think the '....Atom Bomb' LP, is their best since Achtung Baby, so maybe theyre getting better?? At least they still produce new material, and don't go round the stadiums, playing their 'hits'.

At the end of the day, you start a rock band, because you want to play music, preferrably your own material, sell loads of albums, get lots of recognition, sell out stadiums, put on huge shows etc. Theyve done that, and some, and continue to do so.

Their live shows are very entertaining, they dont just stand there and play the songs as they were released, like many, so-called 'big bands'.

I think they get over criticised alot. As a band, they work, simple as that.

Best Rock Band on The Planet? No, not for me, although who would you put against them??

[quote name='molan' post='1255326' date='Jun 3 2011, 12:23 PM']Just spotted this that had been up for sale on US EBay recently:

It was listed as an original 1964 Gold Sparkle Fender Jazz and there was some copy about AC having one very similar.

Maybe he's asked them to make a P bass to match the J he already has?

Personally I like it - but then I am the ex owner of a Bootsy Collins pearl sparkle star bass so what does that say about my taste in basses eh?[/quote]

Yeah, AC's one (in pic on first page of this thread) is similar, but no covers, and block inlays. I think I like that EBay best

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1255346' date='Jun 3 2011, 12:38 PM']I don't disagree, but i think they have stood the test of time, and they still produce original material, i think the '....Atom Bomb' LP, is their best since Achtung Baby, so maybe theyre getting better?? At least they still produce new material, and don't go round the stadiums, playing their 'hits'.

At the end of the day, you start a rock band, because you want to play music, preferrably your own material, sell loads of albums, get lots of recognition, sell out stadiums, put on huge shows etc. Theyve done that, and some, and continue to do so.

Their live shows are very entertaining, they dont just stand there and play the songs as they were released, like many, so-called 'big bands'.

I think they get over criticised alot. As a band, they work, simple as that.

Best Rock Band on The Planet? No, not for me, although who would you put against them??[/quote]

I find that most people who slag Adam's bass playing off either do it because they don't actually like U2's music and have no knowledge of Adam's playing or just don't like him because he is in a band with Bono and its Bono they really dislike. Either way, none of them have sat down and studied Adam's bass playing or even listened to his bass lines and learnt to play them. Far to much believing the Daily Mail U2 headlines going on and not enough finding out for themselves.

As for the best Rock Band On The Planet comment, well is it a Basschat competition now. WTF is that all about? I thought music was music and personel to the listener and not about who's the best.