Why become a member? ×

A beginners bass

Themrperson

Well I am starting bass soon so I need to get a bass guitar. I have been looking at 3 and I don't know what to get. I have been looking at the squier affinity P body and the jazz model and also and the ibanez GSR190JE. I have choosen them 3 because they come in packages and my price range. It might help if I told you I want to play pop-punk, rock (all kinds) and metal. If you have any more ideas of what else I should buy leave any suggestions. I am also going to a few shops to see if can have a better feel as of what they sound like.

You may want to have a look at the Squier Precision Special. Has a jazz pickup in the bridge, and a precision pickup in the usual position. Best of both worlds!! The neck is quiet slim, very similar to a Jazz bass, and the bass is pretty light. Might be out of your price range, if you want an amp as well.
If you can stretch your budget, also have a look at the Yamaha RBX range and maybe the BB414 bass.

Definitely have a look at shops, ask the assistant to let you play them and (assuming you don't already know some riffs) try playing the 1st 2nd and 3rd frets, using your index, middle and ring fingers respectively - repeat on all four strings in order.

That will give you a good idea of how the bass feels to you - I liked the RBX170 (and nearly bought one), but found the Ibanez neck too big to be comfortable for my smallish hands. In the end I settled on a 2nd hand VMJ (as in my sig) as it just felt right to me.

All of the instruments mentioned so far would be a good bet.

Yamaha and Ibanez are excellent for the money, and are well made. Squiers have improved recently, and the Vintage Modified (VM) and Classic Vibe (CV) series are both worth a look.
Do you know anyone who can play? Maybe take them along for an opinion.
Try not to get too hung up on pretty colours (!) How the instrument feels and balances are as important as how it sounds.
Remember to budget for an amplifier of some sort- even if you just get a little headphone amp that you can plug an MP3 player into.

Good Luck! And Enjoy! It's not every day you get a new instrument (although some folks on here may get close! :) )

Yamaha RBX270 is the best cheap bass IMHO. Having worked in stores selling a lot of cheap basses (Squier, Vintage, Ibanez, Yamaha, Aria, etc, etc), I'd say Yamaha are well ahead not just in terms of build quality, but the quality of the components used as well. This results in a better feeling, better sounding bass.

See my "Best £200 bass ever!!!" thread to see what I did.

I really rate Yamaha's beginner stuff, my first 'proper' bass (after my awful, awful £50 Satellite Jazz copy) was one of their RBX basses.

Definitely try both the Squiers though, one might feel more comfortable than the other, and at least then you'll have an idea of whether to look for a Jazz-like or Precision-like neck (Jazzes are more tapered and feel smaller). The current Squiers are good basses I've got one here that I happily gigged all last year and I've been playing 20 years.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1251934' date='May 31 2011, 07:31 PM']I really rate Yamaha's beginner stuff, my first 'proper' bass (after my awful, awful £50 Satellite Jazz copy) was one of their RBX basses.

Definitely try both the Squiers though, one might feel more comfortable than the other, and at least then you'll have an idea of whether to look for a Jazz-like or Precision-like neck (Jazzes are more tapered and feel smaller). The current Squiers are good basses I've got one here that I happily gigged all last year and I've been playing 20 years.[/quote]

I have only been playing a few months and have the Yamaha RBX 170. My guitarist friend who came round couldn't beleive it was only around £160! A question though what would the neck on a Yammy compare to?
Regards
Peter

[quote name='charic' post='1252826' date='Jun 1 2011, 04:12 PM']Go secondhand, occassionally a rare bargain comes up on here :)[/quote]

Indeed. This might do nicely: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136716"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136716[/url]

(Reply to first post, read it and skipped to reply, please excuse any areas I may have missed)

I'd like to add to this: Yamaha RBX170. Cheap starter bass that's so all round it's a crime!
P / J combo gives you a massive spectrum of sounds, the neck ain't bad, you can get the action practically sitting on the frets without buzz (or mine did) AND it has 24 frets, should you decide to get experimental...Saves buying loads later to cover these avenues. :-)

Was my very 1st bass, and I learned every technique I know on it...Can't fault them!

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1251930' date='May 31 2011, 07:27 PM']Yamaha RBX270 is the best cheap bass IMHO. Having worked in stores selling a lot of cheap basses (Squier, Vintage, Ibanez, Yamaha, Aria, etc, etc), I'd say Yamaha are well ahead not just in terms of build quality, but the quality of the components used as well. This results in a better feeling, better sounding bass.

See my "Best £200 bass ever!!!" thread to see what I did.[/quote]

I actually bought one of them as a "mkII" model to my 170. I begun to mod it, as it was to be made in homage but I flogged it in the end on here, after changing the pick ups...Damn, it was pretty damn sweet!
Difference it has over the RBX170 is a pan pot and single volume instead of 2 x volume.
Fantastic basses...

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='1253376' date='Jun 2 2011, 12:20 AM']Difference it has over the RBX170 is a pan pot and single volume instead of 2 x volume.[/quote]

And it has a solid Alder body instead of Agathis, and better quality tuners, just for the info of the OP.

If you can afford a little more, the Ibanez SR300 is absolutely unbelievable for the money! I think there was a favorable review in BGM a while back (should be on their site). IMHO it's about the best [b]active[/b] budget bass around.

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1253828' date='Jun 2 2011, 12:40 PM']And it has a solid Alder body instead of Agathis, and better quality tuners, just for the info of the OP.

If you can afford a little more, the Ibanez SR300 is absolutely unbelievable for the money! I think there was a favorable review in BGM a while back (should be on their site). IMHO it's about the best [b]active[/b] budget bass around.[/quote]

Ah yes, this as well...Which is why you can get a beautiful Natural Yellow Satin finish on the 270, and only solid colours on the 170...
Another really TINY note is the pick ups are also covered on the 270, whereas the 170 has exposed pole pieces...but now we really are pointing out the tiniest details haha! Hmmm I still have em lying somewhere when I swapped them out......

I would also +1 the Ibanez SR, can't go wrong with em. They have really thin necks as well, whereas the RBX series favours slightly thicker ones (but by no means hunk-a-chunk). Apparently, it's for really fast playing but, is it just me, or does neck thickness really not count that much?
My TRB has a right fat neck, width and thickness and it's rapid as hell, as does my P-bass. Yet my Ibanez BTB that has a very thin neck...no difference.
Just thinking out loud here...

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='pqs' post='1255136' date='Jun 3 2011, 10:17 AM']So am I right in thinking the RBX 170 has a wide neck then? more ike a P than a J?
Regards
Peter[/quote]

Feels more like a P-bass neck to me, not quite as thick, but not as thin as an Ibanez.
Still try one out though because they are very easy to play. Neck thickness has never been an issue in my book.