Why become a member? ×

Why drugs arent always so bad...

oksocialbass

Page 7 in the Metro today shows Norwood Fisher, a great bassist, constantly stoned, sitting in a German Airport because his flight has been delayed due to an ash cloud.

But wait.... :)

Is he wearing two bowler hats at the same time :)

Demonstrating that with enough drugs, anything is possible for a bassist

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1245272' date='May 26 2011, 10:01 AM']Bless Norwood.

There are loads of bands that were improved by the use of drugs - look at the sh*t the 'clean' Chili Peppers are putting out these days.[/quote]
I think that says more about how the Chili Peppers can't create anything decent without a bit of help, rather than the benefits of drugs.

Ask Frank Zappa.

It's definitely true, some of the best music in the rock genre is created on drugs, and I have my theories why.

LSD has been theorised to be a conciousness expander by so many people, and it is one hell of an experience. Salvia and mushrooms fall under this.
Cocaine and speed can make you think really quite fast.
MDMA, always a good to write a song about ups and downs.
Ketamine is kind of wierd but I could happily write a song on it.
Painkillers in general, relaxation, time to process.

Weed is the only one I don't get though, whenever I get stoned all I wanna do is lay about eating crisps and listening to the beatles. I don't want to talk to anyone just chill out. If i had to sit up and write a song I'd be most annoyed.

[quote name='Ross' post='1245345' date='May 26 2011, 10:59 AM']Cocaine and speed can make you think really quite fast.[/quote]

I remember once coming home buzzing my tits off on speed and knowing I wasn't going to get any sleep, so I picked up a bass intending to do some serious practice, and ended up spending the next five hours tuning it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1245272' date='May 26 2011, 10:01 AM']Bless Norwood.

There are loads of bands that were improved by the use of drugs - look at the sh*t the 'clean' Chili Peppers are putting out these days.[/quote]

Keidis had been off smack for 3 years when they recorded Blood Sugar Sex Magik (although he did relapse within a couple of years after). Supposedly Flea and Frusciante were smoking a fair bit of weed around that time. From what I gather Chad has never been interested in drugs, although it's always the quiet ones :)

BSSM is arguably their best album, it's certainly what got their name out there, and I'd say their drug use around that time isn't prolific at all. Although, that's not to say their drug use didn't have an impact on their approach to music.

But Freaky Style on the other hand? Now there's a drug induced album if ever there was one.

Californication is another interesting one for the "drug influenced" idea, because Frusciante was on the back end of a very long heroin addiction and Keidis was dabbling with the stuff all around that time.

I'm having a bit of a RHCP relapse at the moment. Just got done reading Keidis' autobiography and I've watched the Funky Monks documentary a couple of times in recent weeks because I love that geeky stuff! :)

[quote name='thumbo' post='1245403' date='May 26 2011, 11:40 AM']Just got done reading Keidis' autobiography ...[/quote]
That's a very good read. More downs than ups, but then that's probably likely when you have had a serious habit like that.

[quote name='Norris' post='1245416' date='May 26 2011, 11:51 AM']That's a very good read. More downs than ups, but then that's probably likely when you have had a serious habit like that.[/quote]

It's a bit pain staking towards the end of reading it when he's continuously relapsing! But it is a very good read :) I find his upbringing quite fascinating.

My girlfriend takes the piss out of me for only reading biographies about musicians with drug problems, but on that note, Motley Crue - The Dirt, The Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries and Slash autobiographies make for great reading.

Although I'd probably agree that BSSM is my favourite Chilis album, there's plenty of stuff on the more recent albums I love too. I think the newer albums are just as good as most of the early ones, but then I'm a song guy; always was.

1967 - I was unknowingly given a drink seriously spiked with speed and then played the gig!

Result - bust the G string halfway through the first number and played at such a rate of knots that we finished the planned set in 80% of normal time, the drummer was knackered and the singer/guitarist reckoned I'd played his lead breaks better than him! :)

A strange experience which I did not want to repeat after staying awake for 36 hours and then suffering a week of feeling absolute carbon bibackside. :lol:

For me the answer is simple - do what you want as long as it does not affect, pee off, hurt or offend any other soul, but if you're lucky enough to give other people pleasure at the same time then you must be very special to start with. :)

Just the pontification and opinion of another Grumpy Old Git.

[quote name='oksocialbass' post='1245197' date='May 26 2011, 08:53 AM']..

But wait.... :)

Is he wearing two bowler hats at the same time :)

...[/quote]

Don't know what drugs you're on but they look like Pork Pies to me.

I remember (back in my 20's) spending a sizable amount of time during one particularly strong mushy-trip with the 2 guitarist from my then band, slowly but firmly strumming an Em chord on an old acoustic guitar followed by a flamboyant swoop of my arm, over and over and over and asking my two equally out of it cohorts "Can you hear it.... No. Can you heeeeear it?"
To me it was layer upon fantastic layer of radiant musical emotion enveloping an irresistible beacon inviting the listener to join an odyssey to discover the source of the "secret of music".... to them it was just some jelly-brained tit-w@nk in the corner doing their heads in. :)

[quote name='thumbo' post='1245427' date='May 26 2011, 11:58 AM']My girlfriend takes the piss out of me for only reading biographies about musicians with drug problems, but on that note, Motley Crue - The Dirt, The Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries and Slash autobiographies make for great reading.[/quote]

How [b]could [/b]you leave out:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Line-Fever-Lemmy-Autobiography/dp/067103331X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306506859&sr=8-1"][/url]

Also excellent read.

I've got Keith's autobiography on my bedside table that I keep meaning to start too.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1245376' date='May 26 2011, 11:18 AM']I remember once coming home buzzing my tits off on speed and knowing I wasn't going to get any sleep, so I picked up a bass intending to do some serious practice, and ended up spending the next five hours tuning it.[/quote]
I'm the opposite, I have a really crap attention span usually but whenever I'm on uppers I get so much done.
If it wasn't for the crippling comedown I'd probably be a junky.

I came home one morning, ran to wickes, bought paint and painted the entire front room before my housemates had gotten out of bed (which was mid day in fairness) then preceeded to do a 2000 word essay in a couple of hours (for which I recieved a solid first), had a little jam out and then had the hellish comedown grinding my teeth and twitching curled up in a dark room thinking "oh god please can I just pass out, or die, something".

[quote name='dougal' post='1247222' date='May 27 2011, 03:35 PM']How [b]could [/b]you leave out:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Line-Fever-Lemmy-Autobiography/dp/067103331X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306506859&sr=8-1"][/url]

Also excellent read.

I've got Keith's autobiography on my bedside table that I keep meaning to start too.[/quote]

That's one of the next ones on my list to read :) I spotted it on Amazon the other day for £4.50.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1248025' date='May 28 2011, 10:49 AM']Bill Hicks did an interesting/funny routine about musicians and drugs. Would have posted it but couldn't find it.[/quote]
"the Beatles got so stoned they let Ringo sing!" :)