Why become a member? ×

tonight with jools holland 24th may 2011

skidder652003

In my opinion, there are two ways any bassist could have ended up with a Fender:

1. They saw other people using them, thought they must be the best, so have only ever played Fenders, as a result.

2. They`ve played loads of different basses, makes/models etc, and found that they prefer Fenders to the others that they have tried/can afford.

For myself, it`s option number 2. Fenders just work best for me, Precisions only I might add, don`t gel with Jazzes, though they look great. . Maybe it was the same for the guys on Jools last night.

Interesting comments about the sound - usually I find the bass inaudible, will have to check out the repeat on Fri.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1244156' date='May 25 2011, 12:41 PM']Interesting comments about the sound - usually I find the bass inaudible, will have to check out the repeat on Fri.[/quote]

It sounds like you may have to sort out the TV.

I don't watch much telly, but I take a feed out of the Freeview box and chuck it into my Fatman amp (with a valve front end). The thing is that, while TV is, in the main, cobblers, if it's music I'm listening to, it may as well sound good... mind Nathaniel Rateliff still comes across as an "okay for Earls Court" busking Stoner.

I was particularly impressed by Bevery Knight's bassist playing the lines on a keyboard, with an entirely redundant bass slung round his neck*. I'd have thought he could've saved some back strain with a simple t-shirt that said "I might be playing the bass line on a keyboard, but I can play a real bass, honest". :)

I could be reading this all wrong, however, and it could be the first emergence of a new craze in very heavy and unweildy wood-and-metal jewellery...

* Even BigRedX wouldn't object to a Fender being used like that, I'd hazard. Although it'd have to be a light one...

[quote name='SS73' post='1243850' date='May 25 2011, 08:32 AM']Quite a few SVT's n 810's too.[/quote]
I think a big part of that is because SVTs are a very common rental amp.

As far as Fenders go,it's entirely possible that some people just really like them and/or don't
give a sh*t about 'boutique' instruments.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1244230' date='May 25 2011, 01:38 PM']As far as Fenders go,it's entirely possible that some people just really like them and/or don't
give a sh*t about 'boutique' instruments.[/quote]

Doddy, I have a small favour to ask you, with this being a forum of discussions we share knowledge amongst ourselves, since you've mentioned boutique basses, I am unable to tell the difference or recognise the dividing line between an ordinary bass and a boutique one.

Would you be able to list me say... 10 obvious boutique basses and explain or point me in the direction of what makes them boutique and separates them from the rest? Surely it's not just a matter of the price tag, right?

Thanks

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1244358' date='May 25 2011, 03:19 PM']Doddy, I have a small favour to ask you, with this being a forum of discussions we share knowledge amongst ourselves, since you've mentioned boutique basses, I am unable to tell the difference or recognise the dividing line between an ordinary bass and a boutique one.

Would you be able to list me say... 10 obvious boutique basses and explain or point me in the direction of what makes them boutique and separates them from the rest? Surely it's not just a matter of the price tag, right?

Thanks[/quote]

I think Dingwall definitely rest in the boutique camp GW....high end custom basses. Id love to try one!

Me thinks my future has a Dingwall in it.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1244223' date='May 25 2011, 01:36 PM']I was particularly impressed by Bevery Knight's bassist playing the lines on a keyboard, with an entirely redundant bass slung round his neck*. I'd have thought he could've saved some back strain with a simple t-shirt that said "I might be playing the bass line on a keyboard, but I can play a real bass, honest". :)

I could be reading this all wrong, however, and it could be the first emergence of a new craze in very heavy and unweildy wood-and-metal jewellery...

* Even BigRedX wouldn't object to a Fender being used like that, I'd hazard. Although it'd have to be a light one...[/quote]
If you're going to do keyboard bass do it properly...

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1243601' date='May 24 2011, 10:38 PM']Im sorry but was it me or as per usual, was every band bass player on the show tonight slinging a precision or a jazz WTF? Dont get me wrong, i love em but FFS whats that saying about every young bass player in a commercially successful band, sheep or what? Or does the "evil" empire of Leo have the industry's balls in a vice like grip of kudos and commercial nounce? - Discuss....[/quote]

Was that the show Seasick Steve played on? His bassist was playing a Precision.

Struggling to recall the guys name though.............. , ah that was it, John Paul Jones.................

Probably a bit poor & didn't have much by the way of instruments to choose from :)

Edited by Wilco

[quote name='Wilco' post='1244718' date='May 25 2011, 08:09 PM']Was that the show Seasick Steve played on? His bassist was playing a Precision.

Struggling to recall the guys name though.............. , ah that was it, John Paul Jones.................

Probably a bit poor & didn't have much by the way of instruments to choose from :)[/quote]

bit off topic...I generally watch jools holland, but find that I don't enjoy it that much. I tend to really enjoy the less 'mainstream' stuff he has, like the african/indian groups I've never heard of, lol. But I must say I was most impressed with that little performance by Seasick Steve an JPJ! Mate of mine complained that he couldn't hear the bass, despite it coming through my hi-fi amp which has the bass up almost the whole way! Curious if it's just me imagining I could hear an awesome, yet pretty simple, bassline, or was it actually pretty inaudible? Sounded like it was really thumpy, timed perfectly with the kick on the drums, made the drums/bass sound really powerful together!

Anywho...Latest show was alright, was really disappointed by Yuck though, was told they were like a modern day Dinosaur Jr. Was expecting something a lot better!

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1243601' date='May 24 2011, 10:38 PM']Im sorry but was it me or as per usual, was every band bass player on the show tonight slinging a precision or a jazz WTF? Dont get me wrong, i love em but FFS whats that saying about every young bass player in a commercially successful band, sheep or what? Or does the "evil" empire of Leo have the industry's balls in a vice like grip of kudos and commercial nounce? - Discuss....[/quote]

Just watched this episode (via Sky Box) and the first band on was Friendly Fires and the bass player was using a Peavey.

Saw Geddy was playing a Jazz (well several in fact) last night at the O2, good enough for me!