Why become a member? ×

Impossibly clean re-fin'd 1955 P-bass at a sensible price

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-1955-Original-NOT-Reissue-/220789011397?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item33680cf3c5"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...=item33680cf3c5[/url]

Thank God it's not a 1956 ... that would present me with a serious decision to make. :)

What does the panel think?

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1243047' date='May 24 2011, 03:32 PM']...
Thank God it's not a 1956 ... that would present me with a serious decision to make. :)
...[/quote]

But it was made in the second half of 1955. What month were you born in? YOC bass perhaps? :)

Interesting! .. he bought this in March:-
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390294556498"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=390294556498[/url]
and some 54 pots and amber shellac a bit later (his Selling profile is Private .. but not the Buying).
Could it be the same bass?

Good detective work, but not the same bass IMO... the March auction body has fan-shaped grain above the p/up cover and much more f/board wear... also it's a more impressive-looking Clive refin... pretty good price from Fat Rick at NKR...

[quote name='eubassix' post='1243577' date='May 24 2011, 10:16 PM']Interesting! .. he bought this in March:-
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390294556498"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=390294556498[/url]
and some 54 pots and amber shellac a bit later (his Selling profile is Private .. but not the Buying).
Could it be the same bass?[/quote]

Shame on you for bringing such things to our attention, you are risking a Super Injunction. :) Surely it must be 100% genuine, I would want to take it out and use it at gigs to get it 'reliced'. What risk would there be to it at the 'Stoat & Groat' blues night or the 'Spit & Snot' punk night or some clubs I have played in (sinking low here). The price is most reasonable, but then again I am a merchant banker.

eubassix - the Kramer DMZ is just wonderful. Always wanted one, now have one :) and I am not a merchant banker - bad career choice in youth.

[quote name='eubassix' post='1243577' date='May 24 2011, 10:16 PM']Interesting! .. he bought this in March:-
Could it be the same bass?[/quote]

Bl**dy Hell Sherlock, you have some free time!! LOL I joke

This is my bass for sale.

Regarding your investigation;

1. The shellac purchased was for an ageing job i did on a tweed amp, you wouldnt use shellac amber tint for a guitar, you'd use amber nitrocellulose lacquer
2. The pots i bought were 1954 pots, and, ahem, dated 1954. I still have those pots, they were purchased because they were too cheap not to.
3. The pots on the bass for sale are '55 pots, and dated 1955. They are original to the bass.
4. The '56 i bought from NKR is completely different, the body/neck are clearly different. wood/grain. The wear on the '56 is extensively worn.

The bass for sale is a complete '55 bass, not a bitsa whatsoever. It has been professionally nitro refin'd, which is now very weather checked and cracked, starting to age nicely. Very rare in the UK, and not an unreasonable price, based on current vintage prices. NKR has a beat up '59 for £10k...for example.

Only sell to fund another purchase, otherwise i'd leave it in the collection.

Sensible offers considered, i've had a few, and some random trade offers?!?! Someone even offered me a Ford S-Max!! Seriously. LOL

Must sell

Hope this clarifies the story above.

Feel free to ask anything.

Should i list in on here , in the For sale section?

Regards to all.

Rick.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1243178' date='May 24 2011, 05:32 PM']Does the bodywork chrome not look a little shiny compare to the machineheads??

It's almost as if the neck came from one bass and the body from another. Some of the solder looks very shiney too.

If it was a car I would think it was a reshell :) :)[/quote]

As stated in the ad, the covers are reissue.

See more on this thread for further clarity.

Thanks

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1247780' date='May 28 2011, 12:24 AM']1. The shellac purchased was for an ageing job i did on a tweed amp, you wouldnt use shellac amber tint for a guitar, you'd use amber nitrocellulose lacquer

Feel free to ask anything.[/quote]
Hi Rick.

Did you do the refinish on your bass?

Just out of interest do you still have the 'Sting' sig bass that you won on ebay, as I'm looking for one and it'd be significantly cheaper than your original?

At the right price I'd buy that off you and it'd go some way towards your next purchase.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1247780' date='May 28 2011, 12:24 AM']The bass for sale is a complete '55 bass, not a bitsa whatsoever. It has been professionally nitro refin'd, which is now very weather checked and cracked, starting to age nicely. Very rare in the UK, and not an unreasonable price, based on current vintage prices. NKR has a beat up '59 for £10k...for example.[/quote]

Welcome to my topic, Rick. :) :)

Seriously, this is one of the things I love about Basschat - I was very curious about your bass, and now I get a complete explanation from the owner/vendor.

I entirely agree about your price (as implied in the title of this topic), and you have made me even more glad that it's a '55 rather than either a late '56 or an early '57. I'm in no position to be spending that sort of dosh right now, and if yours had been a true YoB bass for me (29 Dec 1956) I'd have been in temptation's way ...

Good luck with the sale.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1247947' date='May 28 2011, 09:53 AM']Welcome to my topic, Rick. :) :)

Seriously, this is one of the things I love about Basschat - I was very curious about your bass, and now I get a complete explanation from the owner/vendor.

I entirely agree about your price (as implied in the title of this topic), and you have made me even more glad that it's a '55 rather than either a late '56 or an early '57. I'm in no position to be spending that sort of dosh right now, and if yours had been a true YoB bass for me (29 Dec 1956) I'd have been in temptation's way ...

Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

I do have a 2-tone sunburst version that has neck and body dates of 1/57!! Try and get some pics up soon.

[quote name='wesfinn' date='May 28 2011, 09:57 AM' post='1247953']
absolutely gorgeous bass! If i had that sort of money spare I'd of bought this in a flash!

Excellent ebay post as well, has every bit of information that you could need. Good luck with the sale Rick!

Thankyou Wesfinn, i appreciate that. To be honest, as a buyer too, there's nothing more frustrating than having to ask loads of questions, then only getting half the q's answered, and having to ask again, its a real pain, so i try and be as full as possible with descriptions, and pics.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1247968' date='May 28 2011, 10:08 AM']I do have a 2-tone sunburst version that has neck and body dates of 1/57!! Try and get some pics up soon.[/quote]

You saw me coming, didn't you?

:)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1247883' date='May 28 2011, 07:47 AM']Hi Rick.

Just out of interest do you still have the 'Sting' sig bass that you won on ebay, as I'm looking for one and it'd be significantly cheaper than your original?

At the right price I'd buy that off you and it'd go some way towards your next purchase.[/quote]

The Sting bass was bought as a Project for me, as i wanted to actually play one regularly, but the 2 originals i have are too expensive to take out, so i bought the sting, and completely stripped it, the body was completely relic'd (Properly, it looks genuine, lacquer checking all over it), the neck was swapped with a '51 reissue neck (No horrible Sting pearl inlay at the 12th fret), stripped, edges rolled, and amber nitro tinted, new decal added, single screw thumbrest was added, and the chrome covers were distressed and fitted to complete the look. It now looks the part, and sounds great.

Here's a pic, alongside my originals, the completed Sting bass is on the left.

Not sure if i want to sell it though??

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1247883' date='May 28 2011, 07:47 AM']Hi Rick.

At the right price I'd buy that off you and it'd go some way towards your next purchase.[/quote]

Here's some pics of the Sting bass i bought, that you mentioned, before and after. Quite a difference...

Before..

What do you think??

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1248211' date='May 28 2011, 01:28 PM']If you've managed to relic the Sting bass like that it reinforces why I'll NEVER buy a vintage instrument! :)[/quote]

It looks good, but when you see it close up next to areal one, there's a world of difference. The real difference of course, is when you play it...absolutely no comparism.

But then one would cost upwards of £10k, the other one cost me £320, and a couple of Saturdays work.

Having said that, people buy vintage gear as investments too. I bought a '58 Precision 5 years ago, for £3000, totally original, its now worth £10000, cash in the bank invested over that time, on the current and recent interest rate of...errr....zero, would probably be worth about £3500. And, for the past 5 years i've enjoyed it immensely, and made a tidy profit when i decide to sell. Good pension fund if you ask me.....which you didnt of course.

[quote name='tredders' post='1248951' date='May 29 2011, 09:58 AM']Absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but Rick, I'd love to see some pics of your 4005 if you have any? Pretty much my dream bass....[/quote]

Here's some pics, it took quite a lot of effort. The body is handmade, has all the correct contours, and bridge recess area. The neck is off a Hondo (Or similar) ricky copy. The trussrod cover is handmade. Everything else (Scratchplate; pickups; controls; wiring; knobs; tailpiece; tuners) is original Rickenbacker. Cost a pretty packet to put together, but Mani is my hero, and i always wanted one. A real 4005 is about £5k++, and you wouldnt want to paint it would you!!

What do you think??

Click on the pics to enlarge.

Thanks for looking

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1249030' date='May 29 2011, 11:56 AM']Here's some pics, it took quite a lot of effort. The body is handmade, has all the correct contours, and bridge recess area. The neck is off a Hondo (Or similar) ricky copy. The trussrod cover is handmade. Everything else (Scratchplate; pickups; controls; wiring; knobs; tailpiece; tuners) is original Rickenbacker. Cost a pretty packet to put together, but Mani is my hero, and i always wanted one. A real 4005 is about £5k++, and you wouldnt want to paint it would you!!

What do you think??

Click on the pics to enlarge.

Thanks for looking[/quote]

That looks bloody marvellous! Must have taken a while to track all the right parts down? Let me know when you start taking commissions :)