Why become a member? ×

Ear plugs.

hitchy64

Some important stuff there.

Just wondering though, has anyone tried the Radians self-mould earplugs? They seem to go for around £10-£15 and whilst they don't have filters (so probably block every frequency a similar amount) look a bit more comfy than the foam cylinders and the like.

Might be worth it if you can't stretch to the "proper" custom plugs...

+1 for Etymotic ER-20. Less than a tenner on eBay - I recently bought another pair from seller hear_for_life, who come recommended. They turn the volume down without muffling the sound. You can hear loud gigs better with them in.

+1 for the ER-20 plugs. If you can't afford the full on moulded ones, these are far and away the next best thing - vastly superior to foam plugs in their attenuation properties. They last longer than foam plugs (you can clean them). They often come with a wee case and a cord to hang them round your neck when you're not wearing them. For less than a tenner, you really can't go wrong.

yeah I got the ER20's for gigging with, and might start at least taking them with when going to go see gigs. As a testament to their clarity, my housemate starting talking to me when I was testing them after they arrived, and I could hear her perfectly clearly, just quieter. If you have a wife you might need more than a 15dB reduction though :)

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1234018' date='May 17 2011, 10:09 AM']Just wondering though, has anyone tried the Radians self-mould earplugs? They seem to go for around £10-£15 and whilst they don't have filters (so probably block every frequency a similar amount) look a bit more comfy than the foam cylinders and the like.[/quote]

For £10-15 you may as well just get the ER-20s.
Like nearly everyone else,I've has a pair of these for a few years and they are great. In fact,a friend of mine has a pair of custom moulded plugs to use both at work and at gigs,and he recently bought a pair of ER-20s for gigs because he preferred the sound.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1234098' date='May 17 2011, 11:17 AM']ANother +1 to ER-20s, they do get a little uncomfortable after half an hour or so,[/quote]

I find it's the opposite way around, a little uncomfortable for the first 10-15 min then I forget I even have them in. Once walked out of rehearsal and thought the traffic was oddly quiet before realising!

Perhaps either this thread should be made a sticky, or the original should be moved into the main bass discussion area. I for one have only been in the miscellaneous equipment section once or twice, and I suspect I'm not the only one, so for such an important musician's issue surely it should be where the most traffic goes through (other than off topic :))

I was wondering what the difference is between Etymotic ER-20, ACS ER-20, Elacin (ACS) ER20S, but I've just found an ebay seller that explains they're all the same sold under different brands. Like 1970s Japcrap basses.

I've got the ACS/Elacin ones and haven't got on too well with them. Amongst other things, they stick out quite a long way and I feel like the last of the Cybermen. Maybe I need the smaller fitting.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1235070' date='May 17 2011, 11:29 PM']....I've got the ACS/Elacin ones and haven't got on too well with them. Amongst other things, they stick out quite a long way and I feel like the last of the Cybermen. Maybe I need the smaller fitting....[/quote]
I wouldn't worry about how they look as long as they are working correctly. No one will notice them from the audience.

Some of the guys in the bands laughed when I first got the ER15's. Several are now using them as well, so I've got the last laugh. Mine are connected by a chord. Only a few people in the audience noticed and most thought I was using in-ear monitoring.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1235168' date='May 18 2011, 07:26 AM']I didn't realise they stuck out, I'm back to the Doc's pro plugs now then as I can keep them in until I'm in the van on the way home without them being seen as they are clear and fit flush, They work too :)[/quote]

I've never got on with my ER-20s and am interested in trying some Doc's. How did you figure out what size you were before ordering? Or did you just guess?

[quote name='bungle' post='1235497' date='May 18 2011, 11:57 AM']I've never got on with my ER-20s and am interested in trying some Doc's. How did you figure out what size you were before ordering? Or did you just guess?[/quote]
I don't remember there being a choice but it was a while ago that I got them, They are good and comfortable compared to others plus they can't be seen.