Why become a member? ×

1 mic to record a jam? (for own listening).

ZMech

Well I had a random spontaneous jam with my mates, and whilst we came up with stuff we thought was great at the time, we can't remember any of it. So next time we reckon we want to record the jam, and I dunno what mic is best to do that. Would want one we can just position in the room somewhere, that would pick up guitar - drum - bass, just to a high enough quality that we can go over the ideas we came up with later.

Proper studio recording at this moment would be extreme overkill, I'm just hoping someone can suggest a 1 mic solution that'll generally record a room.

Edited by ZMech

If you only want a rough record of jamming sessions then pretty much any mic will do the job as will pretty much any recording device - even a smartphone. Of course, you won't get studio- quality recordings, but that's not usually the aim.

Mic placement and amp volumes will need a bit of attention so you can at least hear every instrument, i.e. one doesn't drown out another, but otherwise that's about all you'll need to do for a basic record of the proceedings.

[quote name='RichardH' post='1232062' date='May 15 2011, 03:02 PM'][url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Zoom-H1~ID~13779.asp"]Zoom H1. [/url]

I have an H2, and it's brilliant.[/quote]

Yup, +1.

I use my H2 for everything, all the time.

Any single mic (or stereo pair) can be used to record a band. The trick is all in the positioning and relative instrument volumes. All my early recordings - many of which are now available as a properly released CD - were done this way. You just need to take some time and experiment to find the best position for the mic(s) and the instruments/amps to get the best results.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1232902' date='May 16 2011, 12:14 PM']Any single mic (or stereo pair) can be used to record a band. The trick is all in the positioning and relative instrument volumes. All my early recordings - many of which are now available as a properly released CD - were done this way. You just need to take some time and experiment to find the best position for the mic(s) and the instruments/amps to get the best results.[/quote]

+1

Mic into used recordable mix desk, as prevously said any mic will give you okish sound, all about the positioning of equipment.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1232058' date='May 15 2011, 02:59 PM']Well I had a random spontaneous jam with my mates, and whilst we came up with stuff we thought was great at the time, we can't remember any of it. So next time we reckon we want to record the jam, and I dunno what mic is best to do that. Would want one we can just position in the room somewhere, that would pick up guitar - drum - bass, just to a high enough quality that we can go over the ideas we came up with later.

Proper studio recording at this moment would be extreme overkill, I'm just hoping someone can suggest a 1 mic solution that'll generally record a room.[/quote]

Zoom H2.
Probably the single most useful bit of gear I bought in the oast 3 years.