Why become a member? ×

Looking for a short scale bass

deanbean502

Guys your input is needed

Im looking for a short scale bass and i am torn between a Fender Mustang and the Gibson SG of which Im yet to play

I did play the mustang and although i liked i found the neck got a little sticky after a while. I have looked at the Gibson and found they have two models, one with dot markers and the other with pearl inlays am i right in thinking the only difference between the two is the fret markers?

Im just after other peoples view and opinions really, have you ever owned either?

let me know what you think

[quote name='deanbean502' post='1232040' date='May 15 2011, 03:52 PM']Guys your input is needed

Im looking for a short scale bass and i am torn between a Fender Mustang and the Gibson SG of which Im yet to play

I did play the mustang and although i liked i found the neck got a little sticky after a while. I have looked at the Gibson and found they have two models, one with dot markers and the other with pearl inlays am i right in thinking the only difference between the two is the fret markers?

Im just after other peoples view and opinions really, have you ever owned either?

let me know what you think[/quote]
If you're prepared to stretch to a new SG bass you might stretch a bit further to a custom short scale [url="http://www.landingbass.com/New%20Main%20Page.html"]Landing Bass[/url] or a [url="http://www.birdsongguitars.com/"]Birdsong[/url]. Just a thought....

Bear in mind a Mustang is a budget bass so won't have fantastic hardware, pickup etc. although they've always played pretty well in my experience. The Gibson basses have always been a bit of a law unto themselves so I would definitely try before I buy, but if you like them (I do) there's nothing else that looks, feels or sounds quite the same.

[quote name='deanbean502' post='1232040' date='May 15 2011, 02:52 PM']Guys your input is needed

The SG basses are very cool, fun to play. but will put you in a mind set as to the genre of music. you'll be more inclined to want to rock out or go old school dub sort of sound.

gibson make great quality stuff though :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='1232154' date='May 15 2011, 04:39 PM']Bear in mind a Mustang is a budget bass so won't have fantastic hardware, pickup etc. although they've always played pretty well in my experience. The Gibson basses have always been a bit of a law unto themselves so I would definitely try before I buy, but if you like them (I do) there's nothing else that looks, feels or sounds quite the same.[/quote]

I wouldn't have said the Mustang was a particularly budget instrument, the current Japanese models retail for around £650 now and come with SD pickups as far as I'm aware?

[quote name='deanbean502' post='1232040' date='May 15 2011, 02:52 PM']Guys your input is needed

I currently own a '75 mustang which is really nice to play - I owned (for a very short time) one of the SG supremes... I hated it, and sent it back the same day. Sounded terrible, felt terrible and as for balance and neck dive -urgghhh.

I vote Mustang. If you think a neck is sticky just sand it down and leave it bare or do a light finish with tru-oil?

[quote name='Legion' post='1233188' date='May 16 2011, 03:53 PM']I currently own a '75 mustang which is really nice to play - I owned (for a very short time) one of the SG supremes... I hated it, and sent it back the same day. Sounded terrible, felt terrible and as for balance and neck dive -urgghhh.

I vote Mustang. If you think a neck is sticky just sand it down and leave it bare or do a light finish with tru-oil?[/quote]

Yeah I have not really heard very good things about Gibson basses in general, however i need to try one out. I have just noticed they also do a short scale thunderbird to only trouble is its only available in black

[quote name='dave.c' post='1234387' date='May 17 2011, 02:59 PM']I've got a Hoyer EB3-a-like and it's a great little bass, I prefer it to the Gibsons that I have tried over the years!

Sounds great, plays great and excellent construction and hardware.[/quote]

That could be a good call, I've heard that the Hoyer pups are based on the Gibson 60's EB3 pups, whereas the Epiphone & current EB bass pups are like night & day compared to the genuine 60's ones. I've got or had both.
The Mustang bass [i]was[/i] originally intended to be cheaper bass, in much the same way as the Gibson Juniors & MM's [i]were[/i] supposed to be, but that was then etc.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='fretmeister' post='1237346' date='May 19 2011, 08:06 PM']Any status with headless and bend well gives you 32 scale[/quote]

Yep ive been looking at there new stock basses very nice, need to save a few bit more though.

Which is probably what i will do just place a custom order with rob.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently playing a Dean Evo XM which is cheap as chips and a modern-ish design - looks like a LP but has up to date pickups, bolt on maple neck etc.

I found it to be great for the price (got it used from Tazza1 on here); you can see a clip of it being used onstage here

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP2h9B2Vwcc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP2h9B2Vwcc[/url]

JimD