Why become a member? ×

ebay/private or basschat?

thanks for all youre lovely comments
ill think ill hold the bass for a guy on here

then to put it simply i wont gass for a new bass for at least 3 months ( wife happy ,basses happy /get played , new buyer happy, and im not not chasing a bass that maybe dont exsist for me!).

i recently got a nice 5 string so ill have time to sit and play my basses
!!

once again
kindest regards
ziglet!

After a few buying/selling experiences on here I wouldn't sell anywhere else... unless it was to a mate. I've always bought items for prices I'm more than happy with, and have felt glad to be a part of the community, i think it'd only be fair to sell/trade stuff i'm bored with back on here to 'keep it in the family' so to speak :) I wouldn't mind making a few quid less than selling on eBay considering all the fantastic deals i've had here. I know it'd be an ultimately more pleasant experience, too!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1227077' date='May 11 2011, 07:48 AM']The point about it going to a nice bass player here who 'deserves' it is ok but some kit also goes through quite a
lot of hands as well.
One of the things that puts me off here, is how some stuff goes through a lot of people pretty quickly.
There may be reasons for it, but I wouldn't happy if a bass I had built and had had for 17 plus years got passed around
very quickly.
Maybe not rational, but I wouldn't like to see that.[/quote]

I buy all my basses on here now and can't see me buying another one from a dealer and having to pay more.

Basses offered for sale here generally are offered at a fair price, I've bought one or two from Basschat knowing that if I don't get on with it I can re sell on here for more or less the same price I bought it for.

There have been one or two I've sold on here that I wish I had kept, but I don't get hung up about where the bass has gone.

Also, it's free to buy and sell on here which is a great bonus if you get through a few basses like I do.

In the end it doesn't matter how friendly the forum for sale section is when the selection of instruments available on eBay is far greater.

I've been a member here from the BassWorld days and I have bought exactly 1 bass from the for sale forum and that's because there has been exactly 1 bass for sale here that I've been interested in at what I would consider a sensible price. In the same time I have bought over 20 basses from eBay and Ishibashi.

I'm struggling to sell the bass in my sig, which surprised me as it's great. Thing is, I'm hesitant to hit eBay as it's a bit more hassle and I'd rather it go to someone from here who will look after it and use it properly.

Ho hum.

[quote name='burray' post='1228647' date='May 12 2011, 12:27 PM']I'm struggling to sell the bass in my sig, which surprised me as it's great. Thing is, I'm hesitant to hit eBay as it's a bit more hassle and I'd rather it go to someone from here who will look after it and use it properly.

Ho hum.[/quote]

If you're insistent on selling it here then you'll have to drop your price, as no-one is biting at the price you have it advertised at currently.

I reckon you'll get a good price for a Yamaha BB414 on eBay - they're held in high regard and don't come up as often as you might think. Search for Yamaha bass right now and you'll get wall to wall RBX models with the occasional BB and TRB (as well as trombones and recorders :) ).

Looking back, I've bought and sold a fair bit on here but I have to say that in recent times (like the last year or so) I find myself getting more and more annoyed with low-balling chancers who will annoy you over the sake of a fiver, or seem to think that postage costs don't exist. It's really beginning to put me off - so much so that I've been preferring to arrange deals locally (gumtree/other localised fora). Maybe it's just that everyone's skint, but the chancers irritate the hell out of me as I find it rather insulting given that I take the time to research my prices and put stuff up at a reasonable value with good photos and honest descriptions, pride myself on bombproof (or at least courierproof) packaging and prompt postage. Maybe it's just because BC is getting bigger - more people == more chancers.

I've bought and sold on here and eBay and have had some very good experiences on both. I really don't understand the implication that a bass sold on eBay will go to someone who won't look after it and use it properly. What possible justification is there for that? Loads of Basschat members buy and sell basses on eBay, and they don't suddenly become bass destroying monsters because of it. I've sold several basses on eBay and overwhelmingly the people I've sold to have shown every sign of appreciating what they've bought. I can also say that every bass I've bought on eBay has been in very good condition and obviously very well cared for.

I would agree that if it goes wrong on eBay, it does tend to go very wrong and eBay may not be much help. But to characterise everyone on eBay as an idiot is unfair and quite insulting to those of us on Basschat who use it.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1228684' date='May 12 2011, 12:44 PM']Looking back, I've bought and sold a fair bit on here but I have to say that in recent times (like the last year or so) I find myself getting more and more annoyed with low-balling chancers who will annoy you over the sake of a fiver, or seem to think that postage costs don't exist. It's really beginning to put me off - so much so that I've been preferring to arrange deals locally (gumtree/other localised fora). Maybe it's just that everyone's skint, but the chancers irritate the hell out of me as I find it rather insulting given that I take the time to research my prices and put stuff up at a reasonable value with good photos and honest descriptions, pride myself on bombproof (or at least courierproof) packaging and prompt postage. Maybe it's just because BC is getting bigger - more people == more chancers.[/quote]

I think because a lot of people put up an ad, and then after a few days with no interest reduce the price, often several times, everyone now expects the price to have some room for negotiation.

[quote name='burray' post='1228647' date='May 12 2011, 12:27 PM']I'm struggling to sell the bass in my sig, which surprised me as it's great. Thing is, I'm hesitant to hit eBay as it's a bit more hassle and I'd rather it go to someone from here who will look after it and use it properly.[/quote]
Don't see the logic in that. Does it mean that if I buy a bass on Basschat, I'll use it more properly than if I bought it on That Ebay?

I don't use e-bay..
The truth is I have agonised over this sale for months..probably 2 years or more..
but I just don't use it now..and it is too nice to be boxed up.

It needs a good home. I understand I can't track it and have no say over where it goes so it is here or the Gallery.