Why become a member? ×

AMPEG PF 500

DieselCowboy

From your neck of the woods, try Andertons in Guildford. Not the cheapest about, but, and this is a big but, they price-matched for me when I bought mine.

Theirs was up at £389, Soundslive were doing them at £346. I asked, they made a call, to see if Soundslive actually had them in stock - you can`t always believe websites unfortunately - and once confirmed, matched the £346.

So do an on-line search, see who actually has them with a couple of phone calls, then take a trip to Andertons - they have a room for basses/bass amps only, so a good environment to try it out.

[quote name='Kirky' post='1304310' date='Jul 15 2011, 07:29 AM']Mine arrives today. Another Barefaced compact user here.[/quote]

I used my PF-500 + Compact loudly for the first time the other night at a rehearsal and was blown away by the tone from the amp paired with the clarity of the Compact. My bass sound was distinct the entire way through rehearsal competing with a drummer and guitarist, and the amp was set flat!

Prepare to be utterly amazed. I can't imagine how loud it would be at 4 ohms!

Similar reaction from me using it with my Compact. With Compact + Midget I just get more of the same, with midrange that cuts through rather nicely. And the compact gives all the trouser flapping stuff :)

I've used the setup at two outdoor gigs and the PA guys said they didn't need to DI me. Oh happy days.

Am toying with the idea of changing the Midget for another Compact though... no real reason, just like the idea of 2 x 15!

Cheers

Geoff

Gigged a pf500 last nights, post eqd into the desk

Bass was quite present in the fold back and I had my 115 behind me

All I can say is wow, the tone is pretty much what I've been looking for in a lightweight head

I did have a fancy amp that I'm sure could do this but I was not clever enough with the settings , then the next amp I used was to harsh

This for me is really plug n play for the sound Im after

Nice one lojo, these amps really DI well, don`t they?

The recording I did with mine, which was also post eq DI`d, with all eq flat, except ultra-low engaged, and compression on 5, was the best recorded bass sound I`ve ever had.

This thread on Talbass does that:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-pf500-pf350-722043/index20.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-pf...43/index20.html[/url]

After hearing the PF-500 on these, I [b]knew[/b] I had to get one.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1306504' date='Jul 17 2011, 11:16 AM']Nice one lojo, these amps really DI well, don`t they?[/quote]

Yes, ran it at the -40 and it still only needed a trickle in the desk, the tone through the PA was really spot on

TBH my 115 was drowned out, but it was loud in the foldback in front of me so I didn't push the volume on the amp

I used the ultra low and ultra hi button but didn't touch the EQ at all, all flat

Using the 115 tonight for an acoustic set up in a church , so I'll get a feel for the cab without the loud band

I think Ampeg just saw the way that many bassists are turning to lightweight gear, and realised that they should get some of that revenue, rather than see it all go elsewhere. Previously, to get the Ampeg sound, it was both costly, and back-breaking.

I`d like to think they listened to bassists opinions, but in reality, they probably saw the other lightweight brands, such as TC & Markbass growing rapidly, and realised they had to compete.

Either way, I`m glad they made these amps.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1307633' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:40 AM']COOL.

So why are these so cheap? Built to a price? Reliable? I think I might have to get one....or a Streamliner......[/quote]

I hope they are reliable, only time will tell, but Id guess there is no more chance of a failure than with any other decent brand, a small % of owners will always have bad luck with all range of electronic goods

Price wise, Id say they are about right, the quality is in the sound, the DI etc, but its a little heavier than some other light heads, and the fan is noisy, both issues which don't bother me, but may assist in the price point

I am very pleased with mine indeed

Mine has arrived and sounds fantastic through my compact. The only problems are the loud fan and I'm getting an annoying buzz when using the headphones - anyone else getting this? I've tried different leads and basses and the headphones are fine using other sound sources.

Played this BA600 210

[url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba600/210.html"]http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba600/210.html[/url]

It was decent....had two channels, vintage and modern, but I didn't think I could drive it that hard with just 2x10's onboard. IIRC, it didn't have
an extention cab socket either..which was odd.

Not sure what the price was, but its competition, IMV, is the MB 102 which is better. You still have the problem with just 210..but at least you can add an extention

I'd be wary of cheap chinese Ampeg, if it were me...but then I'd say that about a LOT of chinese stuff.

[quote name='Kirky' post='1314477' date='Jul 24 2011, 09:38 AM']Mine has arrived and sounds fantastic through my compact. The only problems are the loud fan and I'm getting an annoying buzz when using the headphones - anyone else getting this? I've tried different leads and basses and the headphones are fine using other sound sources.[/quote]

Fan yes, but its not an issue for me as any level of player or headphone use isnt affected by it

Headphone buzz , no , mines fine and clear , check everything again, are you running an audio feed into the amp , could be that ? If not best take it back

[quote name='lojo' post='1314967' date='Jul 24 2011, 06:20 PM']Headphone buzz , no , mines fine and clear , check everything again, are you running an audio feed into the amp , could be that ? If not best take it back[/quote]

I tried it using a different power socket and it was fine - must me an earthing problem at home.

This really is a fantastic amp and works extremely well with the Compact.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Kirky' post='1314477' date='Jul 24 2011, 09:38 AM']Mine has arrived and sounds fantastic through my compact. The only problems are the loud fan...[/quote]

Yes it's a shame that the fan is fairly loud. I'm hoping there is an upgrade I can do.

It's a wonderful amp though. I think I've found my settings for a fingerstyle alder P / TI flats by cutting significantly at 450hz with a slight treble cut and compressor on half (no Hi/Lo boosts engaged). The compressor adds a nice squareness to the note attack and the overall sound is not harsh at all but almost valvey. There are still plenty of mids in there. Very John McVie. I might even get another PF-115HE for it. I also need to find Ampeg PF cabinet covers but as far as I know there aren't any yet.

Edited by markorbit

• 2 weeks later...

Had one turn up this morning, played around for half an hour. Got to say i prefer it over the svt3 i had a few years back, not so confusing maybe control wise. Only hooked it up to an abm 2x10 at present, but im loving it. Best sound's so far have been with my squier 51 precision. Who know's my sansamp could become a thing of the past :) Not sure what the thresh light is though ????

Edited by buff