Why become a member? ×

AMPEG PF 500

DieselCowboy

Ok apologies. I`m jealous!
As a far as I can tell from the manual there is no "threshold" light.
There is a peak led light to warn you your input gain is too high and a limit light to warn you that limiting is in effect to prevent you clipping the output stage.
So,I`d say to set the gain up properly you turn up till you get red led then back off a bit till it stops.That`s optimal gain.

MM

Yes the peak light is also the mute light (red) the thresh light is yellow, the 350 doesnt have this light. Probably were the misunderstanding comes from. It say's in the manual, THRESH LED this illuminates when the signal is above the compressor threshold and gain reduction is active. So im guessing the compressor or gain need's turning back. It would help if it said turn back or amp will go into self destruct mode. Maybe if the amp was made in the UK i'd understand it all.

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1316723609' post='1382025']
It would help if it said turn back or amp will go into self destruct mode. Maybe if the amp was made in the UK i'd understand it all.
[/quote]
But that's not what it means. It means when the light is on the compressor is actively effecting (or is it affecting) the signal...

Right. confusion,yes.
The threshold light does just indicate the compressor is working and is there to let you adjust it so it doesn`t under or over compress.
As with the peak led I would give the bass a good loud note, either a slap or a good plectrum whack, and adjust the threshold till you get a little compression going.This will be indicated by the Threshold led flickering on.
Whether you want loads or little is up to you.
After all that, I hope it sounds good!
>still jealous.
:)

Called loud technologies this afternoon, who confirmed that if the led is on it means the compression is working. At the volume ive tried so far havent noticed a lot of difference once it goes past 12 o clock, so i'll keep my eye on it tomorrow night.

Gigged the PF last night using a abm 2x10 and homemade cab fitted with a1x15 BW speaker. Got the volume up, before started playing. Turned it whilst playing ending up with the volume at about 1 o clock, gain At 10 o clock and compression at about 8 o clock. Everything else on flat, hi and low buttons in and centre knob on position 3. I found certain times the sound was disappearing in the mix compared to my tour 450 head. It could be down to the poor output from my 51 squire precision. Not really found any definate setting on the net as yet. I'm guessing the gain should be brought up in line with the volume, then turned back if it starts to clip.

I have the Gain on 7 on mine, Compression on 5, Ultra-Low engaged, then adjust the rest (all from 5/flat) to suit the room, which is usually boosting the mids on either position 3 or 4, depending on how new my strings are.

Trick with the Gain is, get it to the point where it lights on your hardest hit note (usually a low G for me) then take it back half a notch.

In comparison with your Peavey, from what I understand Peaveys usually have a low-mid boost, so may be worth putting the mid selector on 1, and boosting a bit. May bring it into line with what you`re used to.

Will definately fiddle around over the week, so far have had the mid's flat with a tiny bit of treble. Think i got caught out last night in a band situation with the volume and worrying about the tresh light. But as long as the peak doesnt come on, i suppose its all ive got to worry about. Like i say just been used to peavey's for so long, the svt3 i had was more complicated but seemed louder. But some ampeg cab's could make all the difference.

More fiddling, have noticed that once the gain goes past 5 it really effects the amount of distortion through the speakers. But by bringing up the bass, mid and treble at the same levels it boost's the volume along with the volume button but still retains the same tone as lower setting's. Probably common sense maybe. One thing i did notice was that with even the gain up all the way the peak light didnt come on. I know there have been issues with these not working on some peoples amp's.