Why become a member? ×

AMPEG PF 500

DieselCowboy

[quote name='indiegrungesound' post='1251727' date='May 31 2011, 04:25 PM']I have to say to say two things though. Firstly, I'm tempted to trade in the Yamaha for a Squier Vintage Modern P-Bass or Jazz, largely because the amp sounds so much better with passive basses. Secondly, on the strength of the PF-350's size AND tone(I could happily jam away all day THINKING I'm Nate Mendel with this thing! <:-) ;-)), I'm tempted to part-ex my Hartke LH500 for the PF-500!

Any thoughts folks?[/quote]

Well I get a very large smile on my face playing my Precision through the PF-500. Think the pairing of Precision/Ampeg is just, well "right", so I can definately recommend the aquisition of a Precision to go with your PF.

Re the trading in of the Hartke - depends on your needs, and wants - I do love the sound that the PF-500 gets though, and seems to me that you like the same sort of sounds, so go for it, if you`ve now found that the Hartke doesn`t give the exact sounds you want. I was kindof the same, had a TC Electronic Classic 450 - great amp, but as soon as I heard the PF-500, I knew it was the right amp for me.

been using a PF350 for a couple of months yet. About 3 weeks till ill gig it for the first time, with a PA. Ive been happy with it to no end. Great for recording, sounds huge at practice (with the pad button in too). Really want a 4ohm cab for it though.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1251976' date='May 31 2011, 08:12 PM']You know you don't have to use the pad when using an active bass right? If it's cutting the output so much on an active bass then the output of your active bass might not be hot enough to warrant padding it.[/quote]
In this instance, I'll refer you to my earlier comments. When the -15db pad isn't engaged, the output from the Yamaha through the Ampeg is OVERWHELMINGLY LOUD! I might try it next time out, but I don't want to risk blowing one of my Warwick when I'm only using one-even with the limiter on constantly. I don't exactly buy top dollar gear, but I do try to look after it.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1252321' date='Jun 1 2011, 07:12 AM']Well I get a very large smile on my face playing my Precision through the PF-500. Think the pairing of Precision/Ampeg is just, well "right", so I can definately recommend the aquisition of a Precision to go with your PF.

Re the trading in of the Hartke - depends on your needs, and wants - I do love the sound that the PF-500 gets though, and seems to me that you like the same sort of sounds, so go for it, if you`ve now found that the Hartke doesn`t give the exact sounds you want. I was kindof the same, had a TC Electronic Classic 450 - great amp, but as soon as I heard the PF-500, I knew it was the right amp for me.[/quote]
The only thing going against the Hartke is that it weighs 23.1 lbs, whilst the Ampeg only weighs 7.8 lbs; which is important considering I've a glass back. Also, it's a shame having a flightcased 500 watt amp that isn't being given the full use it demands and deserves.

[quote name='dumelow' post='1252522' date='Jun 1 2011, 11:40 AM']been using a PF350 for a couple of months yet. About 3 weeks till ill gig it for the first time, with a PA. Ive been happy with it to no end. Great for recording, sounds huge at practice (with the pad button in too). Really want a 4ohm cab for it though.[/quote]
Ah! Dumelow! Hats off to the man who piqued my interest in these lovely cabs in the first place! Cheers! If you're after a 4 ohm 4 x 10", the PF-350 should go nicely with either the TC Electronic BC410, the Marshall MB410 or the Ampeg B-410HF I think.

Ta for the feedback everyone!

You could always turn the input gain down on the Ampeg, unless it's obviously clipping then it's going to be fine... Or assuming the Yamaha active electronics are electrically quiet could also turn that down a little :-)

[quote name='indiegrungesound' post='1252861' date='Jun 1 2011, 04:41 PM']In this instance, I'll refer you to my earlier comments. When the -15db pad isn't engaged, the output from the Yamaha through the Ampeg is OVERWHELMINGLY LOUD! I might try it next time out, but I don't want to risk blowing one of my Warwick when I'm only using one-even with the limiter on constantly. I don't exactly buy top dollar gear, but I do try to look after it.

The only thing going against the Hartke is that it weighs 23.1 lbs, whilst the Ampeg only weighs 7.8 lbs; which is important considering I've a glass back. Also, it's a shame having a flightcased 500 watt amp that isn't being given the full use it demands and deserves.

Ah! Dumelow! Hats off to the man who piqued my interest in these lovely cabs in the first place! Cheers! If you're after a 4 ohm 4 x 10", the PF-350 should go nicely with either the TC Electronic BC410, the Marshall MB410 or the Ampeg B-410HF I think.

Ta for the feedback everyone![/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='indiegrungesound' post='1252861' date='Jun 1 2011, 04:41 PM']In this instance, I'll refer you to my earlier comments. When the -15db pad isn't engaged, the output from the Yamaha through the Ampeg is OVERWHELMINGLY LOUD! I might try it next time out, but I don't want to risk blowing one of my Warwick when I'm only using one-even with the limiter on constantly. I don't exactly buy top dollar gear, but I do try to look after it.[/quote]

If anything untoward is happening you'll hear it before it goes, I'm sure! I've never really understood padding you see as I figured you could always just turn the gain down to suit the bass. I could be completely wrong and nothing i've said is worth listening too, though!

[quote name='solo4652' post='1253506' date='Jun 2 2011, 08:55 AM']I'm interested in the PF500 head. What would be a good, lightweight 210 cab to get the full 500W? Excuse my ignorance - I'm new to this seperate head + cab lark.[/quote]
The PF-500 puts out 500 watts at 4 ohms, so this will be a case of "check the spec" on 2x10 cabs, I`m afraid. Can`t think of too many 2x10s at 4 ohms that will handle 500 watts - there must be some though.

Although, as said on another thread on here, the difference between the amount of volume at 500 watts (4 ohms), compared to 300 watts (8 ohms) won`t be that much.

For info, I use my PF-500 with an 8 ohm 4x10 cab (so getting 300 watts), and in a rock band with 2 gtrs, and a punk band with 3 gtrs, my volume doesn`t need to go over 3.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1252984' date='Jun 1 2011, 06:31 PM']If anything untoward is happening you'll hear it before it goes, I'm sure! I've never really understood padding you see as I figured you could always just turn the gain down to suit the bass. I could be completely wrong and nothing i've said is worth listening too, though![/quote]
I wouldn't say that at all! Your advice is appreciated.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1253506' date='Jun 2 2011, 08:55 AM']I'm interested in the PF500 head. What would be a good, lightweight 210 cab to get the full 500W? Excuse my ignorance - I'm new to this seperate head + cab lark.[/quote]

I'd recommend a Schroeder - they do a variety of 2 speaker cabs (2x10, 12&10, 2x12, 2x15) in 4 ohms and are very small, very loud and very light. They do have a 'character' though, so it might be best to try and hear one. Alternatively, I'd say Alex at Barefaced has something suitable...and he does a trial scheme, too...

And now I'm gassing for one of these PF500s - even though my RH450 is fantastic. Gonna have to get down to PMT to get it out of my system. I hope. :)

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1231164' date='May 14 2011, 05:59 PM']Ok, so went to Andertons today, tried one out, listened to abt two to three bars of me playing a Precision through it, decided straight away to get it. It was hooked up to one of the PF 115HE cabs, and man, did it sound sweet.

Anyway, got it home, hooked up to my cab, and am really pleased with it. Re the fan - yes, you can hear it whirring away, but as soon as I start playing, or start up a song on Youtube through my PC speakers (at home practice level) you can`t hear it any longer. Fuss abt nothing, imv.

As said, I`ve got a couple of band practices this week, so I`ll post a review, but at the moment, I`ve got 500 watts of Ampeggy Bassiness, for under £350 (Andertons very nicely agreed to price-match for me).

The scores so far:

:) :lol: :D :P :lol:[/quote]

ordered one on sunday from andertons, hoping to get it tomorrow *(tuesday), rehersal wednesday and gigging it sunday! Will let you know how it sits!
Also FWIW got it on 9 months 0% credit on andertons so thats the next few gigs money taken care of then! :)
Wife doesnt know yet!

hi there!
getting a PF 500 hopefully tomorrow. I was wondering what you thought of it at your gig? good value for the money? im gigging this sunday!
regards
steve

Hi Steve. Sorry I didn't reply to the forum.

Well, what can I say? WOW!!!

First let's talk about power. I didn't had the chance to take my both SVT410 and SVT15 cabs because the stage was not too big, so I took only the SVT410. This is a 8 ohms cab, so I only had circa 300W from the amp. With the gain LED flashing for more strong notes I had the volume set for less than half (about 4) and it was ....LOUD! It was a place with 200 people and I had power enough even with half of the PF-500 max power.

Now the sound. I had one SVT3pro so I will compare with it. I felt the sound was not so full and deep as the SVT, in fact the characteristic of the valve preamp is missing on the PF500. But in another hand, the bass was more clear and much more defined when playing. Please note that I'm not saying it doesn't have strong bass sound, but is not the sound of the valve if I'm making myself clear.
Then, after one or two musics I've selected the ultra low filter. WOW (again) now with the ultra low filter it is the ampeg sound I know. A very strong sound very deep and still clear. It's really dificult for me with these sets to compare it with the SVT3Pro, they seem similar.
Of course we should not forget I'm comparing two amps one costing around 1000 Euros and the other costing 400Euros! And the main issue...one is 12Kgs and the other 5 Kgs!!!

I'm very happy with it. The next month (on the 1st) I'll have a gig on the outside in a place where 10000 people are expected. I'll will take my two cabs with me and because they are both 8 ohms, I'll have 4 ohms and the full 500W from the PF500. It will be the final test

I don't know what type of amplification you use and perhaps you can have a different idea from mine. I can only compare what I know and all of my life I've used ampeg for amplification.

Hope this small opinion helps you to peace your mind.

Cheers.
Joao

Hope Joao doesnt mind me posting this PM between us regarding his experience with the PF-500, i cant wait to get mine! :)

OK, used mine at a gig for the first time last night.

With my "all on flat" settings, but ultra-deep and untra-high both engaged, gain on 7, compression on 5, volume on about 3.3. Going through my Eden Nemesis 410 (8 ohm) cab, so getting 300 watts from the amp.

Currently in a rock band with drums, bass & 2 guitars. The venue was probably about 120 feet long, 30 feet wide. The drums and guitars were put through the pa for extra presence, though not volume. The sound guy heard my bass, and said that it didn`t need to go through the pa, saying it had plenty of presence on its own.

As always, I went out front for the soundcheck, to see if my tone needed adjusting to the venue. For starters, it didn`t, which was nice. Secondly, the sound guy knew what he was on about. Plenty of presence, but not over-powering, or over-boomy. Just nice solid presence on the low end.

These amps are great for the money. Ampeg performance in a £350 amp, that can be carried about in a lap-top bag. To anyone who loves Ampeg, but can`t either afford, or carry the SVT all-valve amps, check these out. Of course they won`t sound as good as the SVT all-valves, but they are great little amps. I love the Ampeg tone, and never feel like I`m playing sub-standard through this amp. I`m that happy with it.

Another update - I`ve just spent a weekend in the studio, and the recorded sound from it is great. All tone controls flat, ultra-low engaged, gain on 7, compression on 5, DI`d post-eq - just a great solid Ampeg sound.

I am getting just that wee bit interested in this. It kind of passed me by when I was looking to put together my long list of "micro amps". I have my heart set on an Aggy TH500 I think, but will need to try this out given the incredible price. Actually I have a sneaking suspicion I should also give the GK MBs a longer harder look.

Edited by RichF

Well it appears Andertons' cracking £299 deal on these was too good for me to pass up. Should be with me tomorrow :) I have been enjoying my Micro-VR, but need a bit more oomph with a similar sound. All being well after a few gigs I can release my MAG600 and Micro VR to some lucky new owners...

I'm sure my Compact & Midget will enjoy it too :)

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass