Why become a member? ×

Advice please

vmaxblues

Hi all,

About ten months ago I sold a bass on ebay, the buyer was from Thailand and was buying for her boyfriend, and offered to send the money Western Union, I was a little unhappy about this but went along with it. He arrived to collect the surprise present, and as it was a gift I threw in a few extras.

A couple of weeks later he says he has taken it to a music shop, and they found several issues. The issues mentioned were incredibly minor and I suspect a ploy to get a sale. He asked for a refund. I didn't agree with the shop but said I would and he returned the bass and I gave him a cheque for the full aount £375.00.

I thought no more about it.

This weekend I have had an email saying he forgot to cash the cheque and can I write him another and send it on.

My dilemma is I can't remember what happened ten months ago, I have a vague recollection of further arsing around and possibly having to get him cash instead, I just can't remember. Something is ringing a warning bell for me and I really don't feel inclined to write another cheque.

Any comments?

You can't remember if you gave someone £375 cash 10 months ago (wow) - that reminds me, you owe me £500 from last year :)

I doubt the customer would ask for another cheque if you already gave him cash, because most people would remember doing that.
You can cancel your original cheque through your bank, but there's not much to do about your memory.

How does anyone forget to cash £375 !!!
My advise is to ignore the guy, he'll probably cash in both at the same time.
I smell a rat, but that's just me. I'v been ripped off before so be carefull, espeically considering the timescale.

I know it sounds bad, memory and all, but it was at a time when I was buying and selling loads of basses, trying to find the ideal gig basses, and a lot of basses and money moved around at that time. And with my job and all, ten months is a lifetime ago!

Discount the fact that you can`t remember the specifics, and look at it from another point of view.

Why had this supposed legitimate buyer not cashed £375 which was supposedly owed him? It`s a hell-of a sum of money to not cash, especially when you have sent an item back in good faith.

My thoughts are that said bass that was returned was probably a fake, and that they kept the real one.

Western Union
Overeas Buyer (not an issue on its own, I might add, I`ve dealt with overseas buyers, and no problems, don`t want to offend anyone here)
Supposed Issues - minor
Asking for refund
Forgets to cash £375
Item returned

All of the above put together, in my view, stinks.

And as others have said, check your bank account - £375 leaving yr account will be easy to identify.

And, shot in the dark here, did you keep records of the serial numbers of the bass that was sent, and the one that was returned.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1219179' date='May 3 2011, 09:01 PM']Discount the fact that you can`t remember the specifics, and look at it from another point of view.

Why had this supposed legitimate buyer not cashed £375 which was supposedly owed him? It`s a hell-of a sum of money to not cash, especially when you have sent an item back in good faith.

My thoughts are that said bass that was returned was probably a fake, and that they kept the real one.

Western Union
Overeas Buyer (not an issue on its own, I might add, I`ve dealt with overseas buyers, and no problems, don`t want to offend anyone here)
Supposed Issues - minor
Asking for refund
Forgets to cash £375
Item returned

All of the above put together, in my view, stinks.

And as others have said, check your bank account - £375 leaving yr account will be easy to identify.

And, shot in the dark here, did you keep records of the serial numbers of the bass that was sent, and the one that was returned.[/quote]

It does sound like a classic scam - the kinda thing 419 Eaters would go to town on. I agree with ensuring the first cheque is properly stopped and can not be cashed before entertaining the idea of sending another.

£375 UK pounds is 18687.35 Thai Baht.

Looking on the internet, it seems that 7000 baht a month is considered a good wage.

I find it unlikely that someone has forgotten to cash a cheque equivalent to 2.5 months wages... I certainly wouldn't!

I'd be checking out that returned bass and would want a really really good reason to write another cheque.

As far as I would be concerned the deal is done...too much time has passed, you may not have the bass you returned and this person can no longer be trusted enough to do business with.

I would communicate that sentiment to him and let it be.