Why become a member? ×

What sounds like a GIBSON Thunderbird...

Jono Bolton

A Variax 700? :)

Actually, now I think about it: would a Gibson Victory be comparable? The [url="http://www.gibsonbass.com/GibsonVictoryBass.php"]GibsonBass[/url] site has sound samples from the three models, and other Gibson basses.
edit: after a bit more comparative listening, how about a Ripper or a Grabber? (If you can find one, that is.)

Edited by bnt

[quote name='bnt' post='139885' date='Feb 13 2008, 09:47 PM']Actually, now I think about it: would a Gibson Victory be comparable? The [url="http://www.gibsonbass.com/GibsonVictoryBass.php"]GibsonBass[/url] site has sound samples from the three models, and other Gibson basses.
edit: after a bit more comparative listening, how about a Ripper or a Grabber? (If you can find one, that is.)[/quote]

Gibson Victory? I'm sorry, you must have misread the bit that said "...but [b][u]doesn't[/u][/b] look so hideous" :) Sorry but that's foul. Don't mind the Ripper but I don't like the Grabber. Les Paul looks alright, but they have a weird headstock.

The closest is a 1960s [url="http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/epiphoneEmbassyDeluxe.php"]Epiphone Embassy[/url] - it's the same hardware, pickups etc, and both are all mahogany 34 3/8" scale.

Not many other long scale mahogany through-neck basses - does anyone else know of one?

Do rickenbacker do a mahogany bass?

The Embassy's a bit too Pete Docherty for me, and I don't want an Epi T-bird because it's the shape I have a problem with. Although, I forgot about the non-reverse Thunderbird. That is a thing of beauty! I think Epiphone did one, but it was a while ago, and they're pretty scarce, which is a shame. But a sunburst one would be lovely if I could find one. Possibly even a cherry red.

[quote name='jono b' post='139882' date='Feb 13 2008, 09:39 PM']Edited the original post. Apparently there was some confusion :huh:[/quote]

Spoil sport.... it was fun while it lasted...... :)

Anyhoo.... what I'd like to know is what is it that defines teh T-bird sound to you?

Maybe if you investigate that you may come up with your own answer...eg I can make my PRSs sound like a P bass, but nothing sounds the same as a P bass....

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='139944' date='Feb 13 2008, 11:04 PM']Hmmm... I know this sounds a little too obvious, but how about an Epiphone Thunderbird?[/quote]

Other than the shape they are quite different - the epi has a bolt-on neck, and not a neck-through of the Thunderbird (or a set neck, like the non-reverse), and although I don't know what wood makes the Epi, it certainly isn't mahogany. The very earliest Tbird necks were all mahogany, with the neck becoming a mahogany/walnut laminate fairly quickly. The non revs go back to the plain mahogany neck.

They are not the same pickups either.......

I do think Epi thunderbirds are quite nice though - certainly good value, and the non rev version is also really nice, despite still being a bolt-on etc