Why become a member? ×

New Shuker 6 string fretless P Bass.....Its here

voxpop

voxpox - you have inspired me to buy a Shuker! I have played a few different models and I love them all! I have been putting it off for about 4 years and I feel like spoiling myself! I might have to sell my MTD 535, but that hardly ever comes out of it's case these days. I am going to email Jon soon for a quote for the following spec...

Uberhorn 5 bolt-on
Ash body
Some kind of burl top (I'll ask him what he has in stock)
5 piece birdseye maple neck and fingerboard (no markers)
Delano MM pickup / 3 band circuit

Quite a simple bass, but those Delano MM pickups are unreal! Don't need a neck pickup as I hardly use it on my other basses. The timescale doesn't bother me as I had to wait 15 months for my MTD to arrive. Once I have a quote back I'll have a chat with the missus!

dood - would you say it would better to call Jon instead of email?

Hi shizznit! Sorry, totally missed your reply! Yes, certainly give Jon a bell for a chat, at least to say hi and that if he's unable to chat at the time, to say that you're sending a mail I guess. That way you're covering the bases. Though certainly if he is a bit nose deep in neck carving, arrange a time to have a proper natter as he'll want to discuss what you are looking for. Better still, arrange a day to go up and see him. It's a long trip for me up to Sheffield, but his instruments are worth a trip out to LA, I promise you that! Thankfully, he's a lot closer!!

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1326180823' post='1493275']
The six string fretless P bass will be here tomorrow morning, just in time fr a recording project.

Pictures will be up as soon as I can... Pos Thursday.
[/quote]

Excellent mate, can't wait to see this beast!

Eude

I am so looking forward to seeing the pics of your new addition! A 6 string fretless P sounds so cool!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1326156611' post='1493233']
Hi shizznit! Sorry, totally missed your reply! Yes, certainly give Jon a bell for a chat, at least to say hi and that if he's unable to chat at the time, to say that you're sending a mail I guess. That way you're covering the bases. Though certainly if he is a bit nose deep in neck carving, arrange a time to have a proper natter as he'll want to discuss what you are looking for. Better still, arrange a day to go up and see him. It's a long trip for me up to Sheffield, but his instruments are worth a trip out to LA, I promise you that! Thankfully, he's a lot closer!!
[/quote]

No worries mate. Thanks for replying ;)

I am having an inner arguement with myself about the spec I want for the bass. The wood selection I want is very similar to my MTD, so I am trying to decide if I want to stick to what I know or go in a different direction. Also, dunno if I want a 5 or a 6...so still not quite ready to place my order! I want this bass to be a work horse...my number 1, so I am taking my time to ensure I get what I want and be comfortable with it for many years to come.

My Lakland gets a lot of work at the moment because it's so versatile, but it weighs a frigging tonne! I have a whiplash injury which I have had treatment for the past 4yrs and the Lakland doesn't help my recovery when I am playing a gig for 2hrs. My chiro actually asked me to bring it to him and looked at my posture whilst playing. He wasn't happy that I would play an instrument that heavy 2-3 nights a week. I want to replace it with something lighter and resign it to studio use only. Though I love my MTD I don't play it much because I favour the Lakland and it's too much of a fine instrument to keep hidden in a hardcase all year round. The bass cost me £3k and I am always nervous about playing it at gigs. Never thought I would get to this point and a couple of mates have already told me I am mad, but it's strange how things work out sometimes.

I already have a buyer on standby for my MTD, so sorry guys...I can't offer it to Basschat members :( But, if that falls through for whatever reason this site will be the first referral.

Jon thought the black ebony board would be to dark with all the black hardware so he found some wood with lighter brown yellowish stripes. Unfortunately you can't see it in the pics..... Will have to wait for pics when I get it later ths week.

Edited by voxpop

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1326440576' post='1497170']
Jon has sent better pics..........

[attachment=97229:marc6.jpg] [attachment=97230:marc1.jpg] [attachment=97231:marc2.jpg] [attachment=97232:marc3.jpg] [attachment=97233:marc5.jpg]

Should be with me over the weekend. :gas:
[/quote]

Why is the word it brings up in my mind "brutal"? There's something mean about that bass, I hope it's a growly bass monster :P

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1326440576' post='1497170']
Jon has sent better pics..........

[attachment=97229:marc6.jpg] [attachment=97230:marc1.jpg] [attachment=97231:marc2.jpg] [attachment=97232:marc3.jpg] [attachment=97233:marc5.jpg]

Should be with me over the weekend. :gas:
[/quote]

that looks very very nice!

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1326806964' post='1502151']
update................ It will be with me tomorrow. :) :) :)
[/quote]

So that's today then? It's today now isn't it?

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1326883828' post='1503109']
Is it there yet? Is it there yet? Is it there yet? Is it there yet? We're waiting with baited breath!! :D
[/quote]

What shizznit said!

Its here..............

First impressions....... OMG its a monster. :)

I cant plug it in because I'm at work but acoustical it has all the fretless magic I need and some.... Mwah.

Only one little niggle it has a paint drip on the backside near the neck about 5mm round... will need to talk to Jon on that one.

Apart from this little niggle its finish is perfect.

Also what struck me when putting it on the strap it has NO neck dive and the balance is just perfect.

Will take pics tonight.

Well pleased for you matey! hopefully Jon will be able to sort something out without you having to send it back what with you having finally got your mitts on it!

In this modern age of sounds with clouds in them could we have some initial noodlings to demonstrate it's sonic majesty as well as some pics?

Edited by andydye