Why become a member? ×

I really miss my active Status sound

Golchen

I really liked the very 'active' sound that I used to get from my Status S2 classic, and I was wondering if there is any way I can get that sort of sound from my current bass, a Fender Reggie Hamilton jazz 5? I've always been a big fan of the active sound that you get from Status basses, or maybe Stanley Clarke's Alembic sound.

The bass feels great to play, but I really miss that old sound. It does have an active circuit, but it doesn't have the really modern sound that I really like. Could I replace the circuit, and if so, what with?

The alternative would be to go for a different bass altogether, but I've not found anything that I like as much as this (other than a Spector NS-5).

IIRC, status make a jazz style preamp? (looking again, it may take some modification for it to fit as it is all fixed on a PCB) Perhaps that may be the trick. Not sure how the east pre's sound, maybe someone else could chime in? I've got an audere 2 band pre in my jazz and it sounds pretty 'jazz on steroids'

Edited by dan2112

Nothing sounds (or plays) quite like a Status S2 in my opinion, I guess you'd better start saving! Status do make replacement pickups and EQs but I think the graphite neck is a very important part of the sound.

If you modify the Reggie you might lose it's character and still not get what you want from it. :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1210684' date='Apr 25 2011, 10:16 AM']If you modify the Reggie you might lose it's character and still not get what you want from it. :)[/quote]

Yeah, you're probably right actually. I wasn't so keen on the weight of the status, I wonder if they make any that are lighter?

[quote name='Golchen' post='1210972' date='Apr 25 2011, 04:03 PM']Yeah, you're probably right actually. I wasn't so keen on the weight of the status, I wonder if they make any that are lighter?[/quote]

MB1. :)
A trip to Status will cure you of all ills! :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='1210972' date='Apr 25 2011, 04:03 PM']Yeah, you're probably right actually. I wasn't so keen on the weight of the status, I wonder if they make any that are lighter?[/quote]

My S2s weigh in between 7 and 11lbs if that's any help, not exactly lightweight (they are 5 stringers though).

A Stealth , is around 7lbs I believe . On my list - just need the 2K though .
A popular upgrade is from the 2 band to the S2 3 band circuit . Worth a look , but beware - major GAS (I've been down there twice) . It's like Mecca to a lot on here .

I'd be having a serious look at a Status Streamline. I picked one up a couple of months ago and it's been a revelation! Around 5.5lbs, ergonomically phenomenal (just a bit weird playing seated at first), and all the high-end Status tone you'd expect. I have an old Series II and a few Alembics so I think I know what the OP means about the very modern, powerful active tone. Whilst the Alembics and Statii are quite different, they do share similarities in terms of brightness, clarity and drive. The Streamline has all the power, tonal complexity and authority of its bigger Status sisters, just in a very small package. I can't sing its praises more highly - an absolutely wonderful instrument. I know they're not cheap, but when they come up second hand, £1300-1500 (depending on spec and condition) should secure one. I'd honestly get out and try one - it really could be the answer.

[quote name='lozbass' post='1211427' date='Apr 26 2011, 08:29 AM']I'd be having a serious look at a Status Streamline. I picked one up a couple of months ago and it's been a revelation! Around 5.5lbs, ergonomically phenomenal (just a bit weird playing seated at first), and all the high-end Status tone you'd expect. I have an old Series II and a few Alembics so I think I know what the OP means about the very modern, powerful active tone. Whilst the Alembics and Statii are quite different, they do share similarities in terms of brightness, clarity and drive. The Streamline has all the power, tonal complexity and authority of its bigger Status sisters, just in a very small package. I can't sing its praises more highly - an absolutely wonderful instrument. I know they're not cheap, but when they come up second hand, £1300-1500 (depending on spec and condition) should secure one. I'd honestly get out and try one - it really could be the answer.[/quote]

I think it's a bit heavier than that - my 4 stringer is 7lb. I got mine a couple of years back from Rich (outtoplayjazz) and got the opportunity to try it alongside his S2(s). The sound isn't quite as hifi as the S2 but it is still a typical Status sound with plenty of punch and top end clarity. Unfortunately (if it's important) the 3eq pre won't fit in the Streamline control cavity so if you're looking 3 eq S2 board and light then I'd go for the Stealth or have a word with Rob to see if you can specify a low weight S2 build.

i know what you mean! i REALLY regtret selling my S2 years ago! ive had a few others since - eclipse/energy/empathy but whilst they were all great i still wanted my old S2 back!!! ive recently got hold of a trace elliott Tbass however and this thing is cooool!! has plenty of status sound! and a really versatile and responsive eq! well worth a try!!

[quote name='lozbass' post='1211427' date='Apr 26 2011, 08:29 AM']I'd be having a serious look at a Status Streamline. I picked one up a couple of months ago and it's been a revelation! Around 5.5lbs, ergonomically phenomenal (just a bit weird playing seated at first), and all the high-end Status tone you'd expect. I have an old Series II and a few Alembics so I think I know what the OP means about the very modern, powerful active tone. Whilst the Alembics and Statii are quite different, they do share similarities in terms of brightness, clarity and drive. The Streamline has all the power, tonal complexity and authority of its bigger Status sisters, just in a very small package. I can't sing its praises more highly - an absolutely wonderful instrument. I know they're not cheap, but when they come up second hand, £1300-1500 (depending on spec and condition) should secure one. I'd honestly get out and try one - it really could be the answer.[/quote]

MB1. :)
I thought we'd agreed you werent going to mention that Old Series II again! :lol: ...Gas Panic!! :)

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Golchen' post='1210506' date='Apr 24 2011, 11:32 PM']I really liked the very 'active' sound that I used to get from my Status S2 classic, and I was wondering if there is any way I can get that sort of sound from my current bass, a Fender Reggie Hamilton jazz 5? I've always been a big fan of the active sound that you get from Status basses, or maybe Stanley Clarke's Alembic sound.

The bass feels great to play, but I really miss that old sound. It does have an active circuit, but it doesn't have the really modern sound that I really like. Could I replace the circuit, and if so, what with?

The alternative would be to go for a different bass altogether, but I've not found anything that I like as much as this (other than a Spector NS-5).[/quote]

Do you fancy my 2003 S1 Classic 5? :) :)

Hi Loz; now that's interesting to hear. Always fancied trying a Streamline but never managed to find one.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1211215' date='Apr 25 2011, 09:00 PM']Could try a Wasburn Status , but they're only 4 strings. Very Bright tho'[/quote]

They never sounded authentic to me, with that wooden neck. Nice basses but definitely not the graphite sound.