Black / Matching Headstock,
Brazilian RW Board,
Clay Dots,
Wide Dot Distance at 12th fret
Serial L19xxx,
Neck Stamp 7 FEB 63 A
Pot Codes 13763xx,
4,1 kg,

all original except Pickguard (Fender Reissue) and replaced nut.

The Body Back had a buckle rash and has got a black overspray over that long ago, the Neck Back has got a clear overspray. Vintage Frets with a lot of life in them, straight neck. low action .... and that huge pre-CBS sound.

Without Pickup Covers. No Case.

WITHDRAWN.

Edited by mrbassman_de

Agreed, I bought a Celinder from Rainer recently and can confirm that he was great to deal with - bass arrived in perfect condition and had been very well packaged

[quote name='walbassist' post='1205617' date='Apr 20 2011, 11:00 AM']I sold a Ken Smith to Rainer. He's a great guy to deal with and owns some amazing basses.[/quote]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1205537' date='Apr 20 2011, 09:33 AM']Strange that Fender only fitted part of the transfer to the headstock, is that normal for painted/matched headstocks?[/quote]

I've seen this before, and I think it's to do with being a black headstock. Fender had their standard transfers which they used, and they had black text, and obviously that wouldn't show up on the black background. Knowing what Fender were like in those days, I'd assume they couldn't see the point of going to the extra expense of creating alternative transfers for a few custom colour instruments.

[quote name='lozbass' post='1205582' date='Apr 20 2011, 10:15 AM']I'm no expert (and I'm sure that somebody will come along with an 'official' answer) but I've seen a few like this where the transfer wouldn't show on a dark coloured MHS[/quote]

You beat me to it! :) I'd only disagree in that I think it was only the black headstock instruments they did this with.

It was also quite common for Lefty instruments just to have the "Fender" logo applied, and nothing else, as Fender couldn't be bothered designing a reverse logo and model layout, so there's a skewed Fender logic in not bothering with black text on a black background.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='1205673' date='Apr 20 2011, 01:01 PM']I've seen this before, and I think it's to do with being a black headstock. Fender had their standard transfers which they used, and they had black text, and obviously that wouldn't show up on the black background. Knowing what Fender were like in those days, I'd assume they couldn't see the point of going to the extra expense of creating alternative transfers for a few custom colour instruments.[/quote]

I had the same concerns when I purchased this bass. Since then I've seen only a few black MHS but they all featured the shortened decal. All other custom colour MHS had the full decal.

One trustful reference might be the book "The Fender Bass" from Black & Molinaro - they show on page 56 a copy of the Jazz bass Ad in the 1970 Fender catalog. It is a Black JB with black MHS where you can see the same transfer layout like on my 63JB.

• 2 weeks later...