Why become a member? ×

Matt Freeman Signature Squier

Doddy

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1222402' date='May 6 2011, 05:26 PM']Am I right in saying a CV usually has a RW but this has maple?[/quote]

Yeah the CV precision is a 60's reissue so has a RW board. Not tried the Matt Freeman but it might also have a slightly narrower neck as well as a maple board.

[quote name='Machines' post='1222520' date='May 6 2011, 07:34 PM']£399 for the Overwater (Tanglewood) Classic J.. Or this overpriced Squier ? :)[/quote]

I've played both the Overwater classic J and the Squier classic vibe Jazz and there's next to nothing in it.

[quote name='danhkr' post='1222790' date='May 7 2011, 12:35 AM']I've played both the Overwater classic J and the Squier classic vibe Jazz and there's next to nothing in it.[/quote]

I don't think that was the argument... the point was that an Overwater classic J is cheaper than buying the "overpriced" Matt Freeman Signature model Squier specifically...

The point being that the signature model does not justify the extra cost, and potential buyers have plenty of other reasonably priced alternatives (i.e. the CV Jazz or Precision... or the Overwater Classic J) that are similar in quality!

[quote name='skej21' post='1222795' date='May 7 2011, 12:48 AM']I don't think that was the argument... the point was that an Overwater classic J is cheaper than buying the "overpriced" Matt Freeman Signature model Squier specifically...

The point being that the signature model does not justify the extra cost, and potential buyers have plenty of other reasonably priced alternatives (i.e. the CV Jazz or Precision... or the Overwater Classic J) that are similar in quality![/quote]

I didn't think so, because the Matt Freeman is actually cheaper than the overwater.

My point was if it was similar quality to the CV jazz, and cheaper than the overwater, perhaps it's not quite as poor value for money as was being made out.

Edited by danhkr

[quote name='Waterboarder' post='1223078' date='May 7 2011, 12:26 PM']Tried one out yesterday, straight out of the box in my local shop. Gloss black and maple board - looked bloody lovely!
Pretty much identical to my CV Precision, but the neck felt slightly fatter.
If you like it, you'll pay the extra £50...[/quote]

But it's not Identical as it has a maple board.

• 1 month later...

I picked one of these basses up from The Gallery a couple of weeks ago to use in the Jam/Weller band I joined a few months back.

I have to say, I am [i]really[/i] impressed with it. It's very well put together, with excellent fit and finish. The weight is good (just a shade under 10lbs) with no neck dive, no dead spots. The neck is chunky but fast.

It sounds great passive, but I had Alex put a P Retro in it anyway, and it is an absolute tone monster.

Amazing what you can get for under £400 these days...

Gareth

• 1 year later...