Why become a member? ×

Berg ae series shelved..

JMT3781

[quote name='Toasted' post='1191465' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:07 AM']Part of the sonic signature of the HT cabinets was the B&C tweeter. B&C discontinued it.

Doesn't seem to unreasonable to me.[/quote]
^^^ what him said.

I'm sure if Jim could source a similar tweeter without compromising performance, he would have done so.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1191487' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:30 AM']Jim Bergantino disagrees with you :)[/quote]

And,as he helped design cabs for other manufacturers, I would have to agree with him :)
I think that horn was/is an important factor in the sound of the Bergantino cabs.

Apparently, Bergantino was the only person that B&C made that particular horn for.

Shamelessly C&P'd from TB... I've emboldened the important bit.

[quote name='Jim Bergantino']...a tough pill to swallow and not of my choosing. After NAMM, my local B&C sales rep along with the president of B&C stopped by my office for a visit. They informed me that the tweeter they’ve been making for me since the inception of the original HT112 back in 2001, when Bergantino Audio first started, will no longer be available. I completely understand their decision as[b] I was the only one in the world they were still making this tweeter for over the last several years.[/b] As many HT112 owners know, the tweeter plays a big role in the character of that cabinet. I’m sure there are other tweeters out there that can fill the role, but for now I’ve decided to let it go and see how it plays out. If demand persists, I can and will research a new tweeter for this product and bring it back to market. As for the HS cabs, it really comes down to numbers. They have certainly been selling, but not at the volume of the AE’s.[/quote]

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1191508' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:51 AM']Shamelessly C&P'd from TB... I've emboldened the important bit.[/quote]
If you read that statement carefully, you'll see that he doesn't disagree with me at all.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1191535' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:11 AM']...but it doesn't seem to be worth his while. Hence it's not 'ridiculous'.[/quote]
What's ridiculous is the idea that he would scrap the products just because he can't get hold of the old tweeters. There's clearly more to it than that.
What would he do if all of his products used that tweeter - scrap his whole product range?

[quote name='stevie' post='1191544' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:20 AM']What's ridiculous is the idea that he would scrap the products just because he can't get hold of the old tweeters. There's clearly more to it than that.
What would he do if all of his products used that tweeter - scrap his whole product range?[/quote]
No.. he'd research and source alternatives.

Back to reality, the sales levels of the cabs concerned don't warrant it. Although I suppose he might be reconsidering now the AE line has been pulled.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1191505' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:49 AM']Apparently, Bergantino was the only person that B&C made that particular horn for.[/quote]
It sounds to me like he was the last one left using the non-neo bullet tweeter that used to be a standard B&C product. All their other customers will have moved over to the neo version or are using something else.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1191552' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:26 AM']No.. he'd research and source alternatives.[/quote]
Of course he would.
[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1191552' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:26 AM']Back to reality, the sales levels of the cabs concerned don't warrant it.[/quote]
That would make a lot more sense.

Jim Bergantino is a master craftsman and is in the position where he doesn't have to make compromises. There'll be a lot of manufacturers who will be "knocking something up" but that won't be the Bergantino approach. He'll have been working on ideas for months, as will the whole speaker industry, and you can guarantee that whatever he produces next will be a great cab.

Edited by chris_b

At the moment there is only the NV range....and tbh I was very close on a few occasions to buying the HT112ER stack and then the AE212. I had to be careful though as I was moving houses on both occasions. In the end I stuck with the Aguilar DB cabs, which sonically and aesthetically cover everything for me. I did want a Berg cab or two though.

We shall see what happens next.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1191567' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:44 AM']Jim Bergantino is a master craftsman and is in the position where he doesn't have to make compromises. There'll be a lot of manufacturers who will be "knocking something up" but that won't be the Bergantino approach. He'll have been working on ideas for months, as will the whole speaker industry, and you can guarantee that whatever he produces next will be a great cab.[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1191586' date='Apr 7 2011, 12:01 PM']I wonder how this affects MarkBass. They are very expensive anyway so what sort of price hike will they have I wonder.[/quote]

Plus one. Lets not forget, Berg still had (has) a ceramic line, and from emails I shared with Jim, he knows there is a market and customers for this market. So, at least he can come up with some stupidly amazing ceramic cabs.

Then we have Tecamp, Markbass, etc, who just have neo cabinets. I know Markbass speakers are B&C, so maybe things will be slightly different, but who knows!!!

Slightly OT, but useful background I hope.................

The name 'rare-earth' is a bit misleading. Neodymium is to be found as commonly as copper or cobalt as far as distribution within the world's crust goes - but it's the location of economically viable concentrations that matter. Other mines will start producing - the US has some potentially interesting deposits for example. It will have to be carted to China for now though, as they currently hold the only separation plant. Building one of those from scratch is a tad on the expensive side, although Avalon in the US are thinking about doing just that.

It seems to me that China are seeing how far they can run with this IF they have a virtual monopoloy at this time...
If the price gets too silly then other minerla producing ountries, might see a hole in the market and produce..and then in time we could end up with
a glut, so forcing the price down...China will hardly want that

I agree, this is a temporary marketing ploy. As for the speaker industry..it will prompt alternatives and R&D, IMO.