Why become a member? ×

Shuker Satinline

Thunderpaws

Hello,

I am getting over my eBay nightmare and looking for other options:

Anyone tried one of these Shuker Satinlines and how does the build quality and playability compare to a Lakland 4401?

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/shuker1/shuker-satinline-4-string/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/sh...nline-4-string/[/url]

I think it looks amazing.

g

The guy who runs bass gear isna pretty active member on here, drop him a PM? If you search "satinline" in this forum you'll find him as he was the op in a thread about these basses.

I've had three shukers and they've all been great, I'm sure Jon must be happy with them to put his name on!

I've played both the prototype and the first fully finished one and was really impressed.

The first thing that struck me, after the funky look, was the weight - must be just about the lightest bass I've ever tried. Feels great on a strap because of this and kinda makes you want to start chucking it around and digging in because of this :)

Sounded really nice to me, although I was only playing at low volume.

There was one at the Yorks Bass Bash and I think a few people tried it there. I also think at least one BC'er now owns one so he'll be a good sounding board.

Build quality seemed really good to me, I don't know Jon Shuker is able to make something like this by hand, and with quality components, yet still sell at a price that competes with the, higher end, Far Eastern manufacturers!

I'm sure Phil from BassGear will be along soon to give some more background :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1186551' date='Apr 3 2011, 10:14 AM']If they were 60s spacing and rosewood board I would have definitely been interested. Cool idea.[/quote]

Pretty sure the plan is to make them in 'batches' - current ones will all be the same as the ones on BG site but I'm sure they'll be open to ideas from customers on future models :)

i actually swapped my Zon for the prototype Satinline at Bassgear on friday & i am mighty impressed with it, especially after i set it up just how i like 'em.
as mentioned above it is a real feather weight at about 8lbs & the build quality is amazing,much better than any Fender jazz i've every played plus the finish is beautiful,some very nice craftmanship has gone into this bass.
also although the pickups may look like your standard single coils they are infact split coil humbuckers so sound nice & punchy,like a standard jazz on steroids also with none of that annoying single coil buzz normally assosiciated with the Fenders.
so i can highly reccomend one of these babies,especially when you consider that a U.S. Fender jazz is at least £200.00 more & nowhere near as good.
plus of course Phil at Bassgear is a damn nice bloke too :)

[quote name='Rich' post='1186621' date='Apr 3 2011, 11:49 AM']800 notes for a handmade 5 string Jazz? Absurd value.[/quote]

I've just been thinking about this - I reckon if any one of us posted a perfect condition 5 string Shuker J up in the for sale section at £800 it would get snapped up really quickly, lol.

Scott Devine who did the seminar for us at the Bass Bash last week was well impressed (sorry, been down with the kids today) with the Shuker Satinline too. It's a shame Jon was unable to join us on the day.....
It's astonishing value for money and as others have said, very light. I wondered if it was made of fibreboard like the Dan Electro's back in the day ( which it isn't!)

I think it could be the new Sue Ryder Bass, albeit a bit more expensive!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Hi all,

I just want to respond to a couple of points raised here.

Spacing is 100mm between the centre of each pup to the next.

The 5-string version is not out yet and maybe a couple of months away.

One of the reasons for the price being lower than your typical hand built Shuker bass is the standardising of the finish and materials used.

Not everyone will ever agree on the same colour of the body etc. Nor the fingerboard wood. But then there aren't enough being made to satisfy everyone!

We quite like the idea of changing the finish colour each year, so 2011 is the year of the Amber Tiger :)

There may come a time when more variety is offered but until then we have what we have.

It's been a pleasure to bring a new option to bass guitarists, albeit in limited numbers to a lucky few.

Thanks,

Phil

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1187034' date='Apr 3 2011, 08:09 PM']Hi all,

I just want to respond to a couple of points raised here.

Spacing is 100mm between the centre of each pup to the next.

The 5-string version is not out yet and maybe a couple of months away.

One of the reasons for the price being lower than your typical hand built Shuker bass is the standardising of the finish and materials used.

Not everyone will ever agree on the same colour of the body etc. Nor the fingerboard wood. But then there aren't enough being made to satisfy everyone!

We quite like the idea of changing the finish colour each year, so 2011 is the year of the Amber Tiger :)

There may come a time when more variety is offered but until then we have what we have.

It's been a pleasure to bring a new option to bass guitarists, albeit in limited numbers to a lucky few.

Thanks,

Phil[/quote]

Personally I think it looks amazing, the aesthetics are sport on with the trans orange with black hardware. How does the neck compare to say a Fender Jazz, as I don't think I could try before I buy? The fingerboard radius is pretty flat...what are the advantages there?

Also, are there any sound clips out there?

Finally, what's the lead time from order to posting?

g

That's a lovely bass and if I was in the market for a J spec bass in that price range, it would be the first one I looked at. :)

The bridge is interesting, not seen that design before - looks like it's heavily derived from the Schaller 3D (my usual choice of bridge on Fender-style basses) - does it have adjustable spacing?

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1187572' date='Apr 4 2011, 12:27 PM']That's a lovely bass and if I was in the market for a J spec bass in that price range, it would be the first one I looked at. :)

The bridge is interesting, not seen that design before - looks like it's heavily derived from the Schaller 3D (my usual choice of bridge on Fender-style basses) - does it have adjustable spacing?

Jon.[/quote]

hi Jon
if you click on this link [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/bass-guitars/shuker/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/bass-guitars/shuker/[/url]
then click on the picture on the bottom you'll see 2 blokes holding Satinlines.
the ugly bloke on the left :) ,Phil from bass gear,is holding the prototype (my actuall bass) where as t'other bloke is holding a production model which has a different bridge to mine & different tuners.
mine certainly doesn't have adjustable string spacing & i've no idea what the bridge is but it looks cool.
the production model has black clover leaf Hipshot tuners where mine has modern style Schaller units.
it is certainly a fantastic bass though,i'd rather part with my balls than this 'ere bass.

[quote name='artisan' post='1188080' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:21 PM']hi Jon
if you click on this link [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/bass-guitars/shuker/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/bass-guitars/shuker/[/url]
then click on the picture on the bottom you'll see 2 blokes holding Satinlines.
the ugly bloke on the left :) ,Phil from bass gear,is holding the prototype (my actuall bass) where as t'other bloke is holding a production model which has a different bridge to mine & different tuners.
mine certainly doesn't have adjustable string spacing & i've no idea what the bridge is but it looks cool.
the production model has black clover leaf Hipshot tuners where mine has modern style Schaller units.
it is certainly a fantastic bass though,i'd rather part with my balls than this 'ere bass.[/quote]
Right - that's your bass used for the publicity shots, then!

The specs say the bridge is a Gotoh, and the one on the production model could well be a Gotoh 203. No matter, if I had one I'd probably bung a 3D on anyhow. I'm fighting unnecessary GAS really hard here - that's a great-looking bass, somehow looks even better in the pic you linked to, I absolutely love the finish!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1188120' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:50 PM']Right - that's your bass used for the publicity shots, then!

The specs say the bridge is a Gotoh, and the one on the production model could well be a Gotoh 203. No matter, if I had one I'd probably bung a 3D on anyhow. I'm fighting unnecessary GAS really hard here - that's a great-looking bass, somehow looks even better in the pic you linked to, I absolutely love the finish!

J.[/quote]

go on do it
you know you want to
:)

p.s. that is indeed my bass on the photo's

[quote name='artisan' post='1188080' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:21 PM']the ugly bloke on the left :) ,Phil from bass gear,is holding the prototype (my actual bass) where as t'other bloke is holding a production model[/quote]

How much do I owe you for not being described as the 'slightly less ugly one on the right'? :)

I do have a very stupid look on my face though :lol: