Why become a member? ×

eBay to Ban Negative Feedback by Sellers !!

Platypus

[quote name='Danny' post='134511' date='Feb 5 2008, 05:01 PM']I think it could be a good idea.[/quote]
I take it you don't sell on Ebay.

They're also hiking the final value fees quite significantly from Feb 20th:

[url="http://web.ebay.co.uk/businesshub/index.php?page=price_changes_uk_general"]http://web.ebay.co.uk/businesshub/index.ph...nges_uk_general[/url]

The angry cynic in me suspects that they're trying to squeeze individual sellers out, and make Ebay predominantly a shop front for big traders, who they make the biggest profit from, and who stand to lose the least from buyers who act like @rseholes.

Not impressed with this. At all. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='134538' date='Feb 5 2008, 05:28 PM']I take it you don't sell on Ebay.

They're also hiking the final value fees quite significantly from Feb 20th:

[url="http://web.ebay.co.uk/businesshub/index.php?page=price_changes_uk_general"]http://web.ebay.co.uk/businesshub/index.ph...nges_uk_general[/url]

The angry cynic in me suspects that they're trying to squeeze individual sellers out, and make Ebay predominantly a shop front for big traders, who they make the biggest profit from, and who stand to lose the least from buyers who act like @rseholes.

Not impressed with this. At all. :)

J.[/quote]

The way I was looking at it was that there are buyers that may of had a poor service but do not give negative feedback as they are afraid the seller will respond by unjustifiably giving them the same.
That way people who buy off of Ebay and use a sellers feedback to judge whether he/she is safe to buy from are getting inaccurate information.

You are right I have never sold anything on Ebay so maybe this will not work in real life but it doesn't sound absurd to me.

I must admit I still look at Ebay very simply.
If you are a buyer you sent the money and wait and hope that the seller sends the item and doesn't run off with your money.
If you are a seller someone sends you the money first and them you sent the item.
So looking at it from my point of view the buyer needs protection as they are taking more risk.

Plus Ebay needs their feedback to be accurate. I'm sure sellers can still report bad buyers.

I would actually like to here why you think it is a bad idea and would not work because like I mentioned I have never sold myself.

I'm not suggesting it "wouldn't work" - but it will potentially make life more difficult for sellers, while allowing no way for sellers to identify unreliable bidders. I've so far managed to maintain a 100% positive feedback record - realistically I buy more than sell, unless you run a business through Ebay, it's likely true of most people.

I sell mostly basses, guitars & videogames - for some reason these items seem to attract an unreasonable proportion of idiots, scammers & time-wasters. The feedback process is helpful in being able to identify "problematic" bidders & deal with them before they win an item they have no intention of paying for. Still this happens more than it needs to, and it's not exactly fun to have to repeatedly re-list items - and then have the same person start placing pointless bids again.

I've so far never given or received negative feedback - as a seller I'm reticent about "negging" these aforementioned idiots, as they will do the same to me. However, inevitably I [b]will[/b] get negative feedback once this new rule is in effect - you'd be surprised how many people don't - or can't - read a detailed description of an item you're trying to sell, and find fault after the event.

The idea of feedback will be reduced to "This seller sent /didn't send me an item I bought" - and nothing more. They might as well scrap the entire concept, and let everyone take their chances.

J.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='134926' date='Feb 6 2008, 12:10 PM']Well I'm getting my Streamer on tomorrow to beat the price hike. I tend to think that if there was a vaible alternative to eBay (Amazon is too faffy) then it'd be like rats leaving a sinking ship.[/quote]

agree 100%