Why become a member? ×

My first gig in a tribute band last night!

Telebass

Last night (Sunday 20th March) was the first outing for The Fleetwood Mac Experience. We crammed this 6-piece into a small pub in Plympton, Plymouth, and hoped people would respond to the promotion and come an dhave a look. It was essentially done as a self-promotional freebie, no fee from the pub.

Well, we must have done something right! Place was rammed, we pulled it off well, and so much went over the bar that we got £250 for our trouble!

A good start, or what?

Mucho pleased!

:) :)

PS: Anyone on here with a very long memory might recall that I started on this road nearly 5 years ago - some bands just take longer to put together!

Glad to hear how well it went. We are soon to be adding Go Your Own Way to our set. I can only bet that it is a good crowd pleaser? Never done any Fleetwood Mac covers before live. I'm sure we have all jammed out The Chain, but that doesn't count.

Keep up the good work. If you get to gig in the Torbay I'd like to come and see you. As you are on Lemonrock (just checked) then I can check out your dates from there.

[quote name='Clarky72' post='1172156' date='Mar 22 2011, 02:51 PM']Doing covers/tributes is turning to the dark side, but until you try you don't realise how much fun it can be. My wallet is a LOT happier for me doing them too. :)[/quote]

No dark side at all. :)
Ask any orchestra! Music is music is music. Take your pick! I do agree with Bilbo on one point, though, and need to follow it through: LEARN TO READ MUSIC!

:lol: :D

[quote name='Telebass' post='1172207' date='Mar 22 2011, 03:28 PM']No dark side at all. :)
Ask any orchestra! Music is music is music. Take your pick! I do agree with Bilbo on one point, though, and need to follow it through: LEARN TO READ MUSIC!

:) :lol:[/quote]
Oh don't get me wrong, I do it and love it, but a lot of people consider it selling your soul... They just need to try and see what they're missing out on. Its a lot of fun! :D

[quote name='Clarky72' post='1172215' date='Mar 22 2011, 03:35 PM']Oh don't get me wrong, I do it and love it, but a lot of people consider it selling your soul... They just need to try and see what they're missing out on. Its a lot of fun! :)[/quote]
Yep, covers are much more fun from a performing view, easier on the audiences ears, more often than not Fri/Sat gigs, and there`s usually a reasonable payment as well.

I remember my "not selling my soul" stance in the late 80s. Finish work at 5pm, drive 100 miles (sometimes more) to the gig, play the gig to 12 people as the venue hadn`t done any publicity, drive home at 2am, and all for a tenner. I did enjoy it, but covers bands are sooooo much more enjoyable.

Well done to the OP for The Fleetwood Mac tribute as well, that is one tight rhythm section to keep going.