Why become a member? ×

Sansamp D.I.

Paul_C

[quote name='gafbass02' post='212932' date='Jun 5 2008, 07:57 AM']I had one and also found it sapped my mids and that the dive was too fuzzy, swapped it for a hartke VXL and havnt looked back, the VXL is a great sounding, truly versatile pedal that for me really nails that valvey grind, as well as being a DI and preshape and external eq, great great pedal.[/quote]

Yep, love my VXL too. Bit of a flawed masterpiece really, the knobs are absolutely crap onstage, who in hell wants mirrored knobs with a tiny black dot on when you're under stage lighting?? Useless. Also the pre/post switch has no indication which is in and which is out when the other switches do so I keep forgetting and have to carry the manual around with me. Still love it though :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='johnnylager' post='213204' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:46 PM']If I had to do it all again though, I'd probably save for the [url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/microbass.htm"]EBS MicroBass II[/url].[/quote]

Very wise. MicroBass II - once tried, never forgotten...

re SansAmps and mids: I keep meaning to try one, but I did find it interesting that Geddy Lee switched from the [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/rbi.html"]RBI[/url] (rack bass SansAmp) to the [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/rpm.html"]RPM[/url] (with parametric mid). I didn't think his RBI sound was all that great when I saw Rush in 2004.

[quote name='silddx' post='213962' date='Jun 6 2008, 04:48 PM']Yep, love my VXL too. Bit of a flawed masterpiece really, the knobs are absolutely crap onstage, who in hell wants mirrored knobs with a tiny black dot on when you're under stage lighting?? Useless. Also the pre/post switch has no indication which is in and which is out when the other switches do so I keep forgetting and have to carry the manual around with me. Still love it though :)[/quote]

Yup i have changed the knobs and put a bit of tape over my pre/post switch with IN written on to remind me!, but its so good its worth it, a truly great sounding pedal.

[quote name='bnt' post='215533' date='Jun 9 2008, 04:31 PM']re SansAmps and mids: I keep meaning to try one, but I did find it interesting that Geddy Lee switched from the [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/rbi.html"]RBI[/url] (rack bass SansAmp) to the [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/rpm.html"]RPM[/url] (with parametric mid). I didn't think his RBI sound was all that great when I saw Rush in 2004.[/quote]
Way to go Ged, the ParaDriver (pedal style RPM) has a much more flexible sound than the Bass Driver. Having recently tried a MicroBass II however, I might just flog everything and get one. Then I might stop going on about it. :)

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='rmorris' post='212165' date='Jun 3 2008, 10:57 PM']Ah - OK . I posted to that thread.

Did the Sansamp that got blown get fixed ?[/quote]

soz...i missed your post.

no - i was pi55ed off with it so i junked it, silly i guess.

but eventually i bought basmankev's m80 and am a lot happier with the sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all -

Whilst recording with my old Bassman 100 in the studio last week, I had the pleasure of using a Sansamp, and it did indeed do my tone many favours. I have always thought that the Bassman was great, only it is very limited in the EQ department.

I visited my local music shop and they recommended the Behringer BD21, for a mere £30. Kindly, they've let me borrow it so I can usefully try it with my rig at home. I really wanted to say "cheap piece of rubbish" when I plugged it in, but I can't! It sounds great and although I am sure it's not quite as good as a big name brand, I cannot see where you could go wrong with it.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

I'm aware of it's less than durable structure with it being plastic, but other than that, I'm not getting any negative vibes tone-wise. My intention would be to run it the majority of the time throughout a live performance. If anyone has any suggestions, they are welcomed...

Jay

Yeah, there's an active thread over at Talkbass about the Behringer clone, apparently people are loving it. There was another thread on there with sound clips comparing it to the real thing and people found it hard to tell which was which. Still, I'm going for the VT Bass instead (when I can eventually get hold of one).

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='234791' date='Jul 8 2008, 10:29 AM']Yeah, there's an active thread over at Talkbass about the Behringer clone, apparently people are loving it. There was another thread on there with sound clips comparing it to the real thing and people found it hard to tell which was which. Still, I'm going for the VT Bass instead (when I can eventually get hold of one).[/quote]

I'd be very interested in VT, but like you sourcing one seems tricky. I think I'll buy the Behringer and if/when it falls apart the VT should be more widely available, and perhaps a little less dosh too.

Digital Village are selling the VT Bass at the moment and are willing to price match the Thomann.de price (around £125) according to someone at TB. I've got one order from the US for $150 + $20 shipping, which works out at about £85 if I manage to dodge import taxes (I've been lucky so far with everything I've ordered from overseas!).

• 3 months later...

sorry to bring this old threat back up but i have a question about the mid scoop thing.

so if id just use the bddi for only the grit and use minimal treble on that? would that prevent the mid scoop?
if its a dumb question i can understand cause i dont have the pedal and im really new on the subject

thank you

MXR M80 flat eq as standard (no mid scoop) plus distortion/grit if you want it, a great pedal/DI [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=257"]http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=pr.../pip&id=257[/url] and only £128.72 from Thomann [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/mxr_m80_bass_di_plus.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/mxr_m80_bass_di_plus.htm[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='312568' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:21 PM']IMO the only wat to overcome the mid-scoop is to roll the blend right off... which defeats the purpose.

Even rolling the bass and treble right off (an oft-suggested workaround) still introduces a sizeable scoop.[/quote]
Indeed. How about the Para Driver with it's free semi-parametric mid control? Mine was great. If you're lucky with customs, you could pick one up from the US fleabay or online retailer for about the same money as the MXR 80 from Thomann. Or get an EBS for twice the money with free headphone amp. :)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='312859' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:46 AM']Indeed. How about the Para Driver with it's free semi-parametric mid control? Mine was great. If you're lucky with customs, you could pick one up from the US fleabay or online retailer for about the same money as the MXR 80 from Thomann. Or get an EBS for twice the money with free headphone amp. :)[/quote]

I bought one of those after the SABDDI.

The scoop is still inherent in the design. You end up using the mid knob to put it back in.. it sounded bad (IMO).

I gave up at that point and shelled out for the EBS.

SHAZAM!

Instant, beautiful, natural-sounding mids.

...and lots of other fab features, too.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='312882' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:14 PM']The scoop is still inherent in the design. You end up using the mid knob to put it back in.. it sounded bad (IMO).[/quote]
Ah. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='312882' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:14 PM']I ... shelled out for the EBS.[/quote]
Me too. :huh:

I own the Hartke VXL and MXR M-80.
Both sound good in their own way DI'ed into my practice desk at home.
If you could but switch the EQ on and off independently of the drive on these two units, they'd be truly excellent.

I'd save up and buy the EBS unit as it offers far more flexibility due to the better channel switching options.