Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones?

zigmondo

I've never tried the Briefcase or Suitcase (much as I'd like to) but I doubt they'd suit the music I play too well, given that the Orange Terror Bass through a Barefaced cab sounds perfect to my ears.

I've heard they're love-it-or-hate-it rigs; either they really work for you or they really don't. Try before you buy.

On the other hand, my pjb Bass Buddy is my single most used and most useful piece of kit - just not on stage.

If I was playing in, say, a funk band or maybe a prog band, I'd be very tempted to run the Bass Buddy straight into a power amp.

As an indicator of how highly I rate it, I just bought a second one. :)

I recently got a PJB Super Flightcase (250W, four front-firing 5"s and two up-firing 5"s). The sound is absolutely heavenly (everything from low B to the highs comes through smoothly and richly), the build quality is superb* and it's only about 14 kg. And with the up-firing speakers, you can stand right on top of it and still hear yourself perfectly. Very useful for fretless intonation. The 5-band EQ is really useful, and very musically voiced (low bass, high bass, low mid, high mid and treble), and the lack of tweeter really suits me.

The downside is that it's a [b]very[/b] quiet 250W, due to the low-sensitivity speaker. It's the old trade-off: you can only have two out of loud, low and small. This is small and low, but certainly not loud. I've yet to gig it (and I won't have the chance for a while now), but I've had plenty of low-volume rehearsals; it'd be fine with a small acoustic gig, but it might struggle up against a drummer... even a sensible drummer. Oh, and the other downside is the cost. You can't think of it in terms of £ per dB. :)

In summary: not a rock rig, but a bloody lovely rig. :) If you get the chance, try one out. It's a very surprising experience.

[size=1]* I say this... actually mine was faulty straight out of the box (intermittent cut-outs). It went straight back to the distributor, who fitted a new main board and got it back to me within a few days. Hunky-dory ever since. Brilliant, smooth service; no hassles. Apart from the broken amp, obviously.[/size]

Just got a cub for practice and hopefully rehearsal. In the shop and at home it sounds great and really lets the natural sound of your instrument shine through. It's a little light on treble due surprisingly so I've got the treble control up full, but that's my only con. It's loud and clear for 100w but whether it'll keep up with a drummer at a quiet rehearsal is not clear yet. However, if it starts to struggle then I'll just DI into the PA and use it as a monitor. I agree with BottomEndian that I don't think PJBs are really a rock rig (although put the right pedals in front of it and it'd work).

Thanks folks, that's really interesting and useful. I've sort of become aware that wattage "gets spread wider" rather than louder with bass matters, and moreso with that low B. Interesting comment about the "right pedal" ezbass: this would indicate the PJBs(or the right PJB) do have the headroom, then, if preamped..?..

[quote name='zigmondo' post='1169215' date='Mar 20 2011, 09:32 AM']this would indicate the PJBs(or the right PJB) do have the headroom, then, if preamped..?..[/quote]
The power stage on even my tiny 100w has headroom right to up to pretty much wide open with boosted bass and treble on the eq. As for the preamp I'm running the gain without clipping at about 2 o'clock using active basses on the high sensitivity setting.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1167808' date='Mar 18 2011, 11:51 PM']I've never tried the Briefcase or Suitcase (much as I'd like to) but I doubt they'd suit the music I play too well, given that the Orange Terror Bass through a Barefaced cab sounds perfect to my ears.

I've heard they're love-it-or-hate-it rigs; either they really work for you or they really don't. Try before you buy.

On the other hand, my pjb Bass Buddy is my single most used and most useful piece of kit - just not on stage.

If I was playing in, say, a funk band or maybe a prog band, I'd be very tempted to run the Bass Buddy straight into a power amp.

As an indicator of how highly I rate it, I just bought a second one. :)[/quote]

i also love my bass buddy, perfect for recording with its subtle compression, powerful EQ control. I also use it's 10 watt power (through my midget!) to give me a cool wee practice amp.

I tried a suitcase in GuitarGiotar (Glasgow) just prior to buying the MB combo & whilst it was a nice looking combo & sounded nice at low volumes, it farted the minute I turned it up.
I then tried an EA 1x10 combo which blew it away (which was also very nice).

• 1 month later...

I love my 6Pack, it's got plenty of volume for a pub or small hall, anything bigger and it goes through the pa anyway...
I still fancy a 12b to go with it just to see what it can do!

Edited by andydye

I had a 6 pak combo and it sounded great but not loud enough without added cabs. Briefcase is too quiet to gig and the flight case is nice but mellow and not loud enough either. All great for acoustic or upright. The 12 b cab is loud but too heavy even though it's neo.
The stuff was well made but u need to remember that to get the power of a STD 410 cab you would need a 16 speaker PJB cab!
They do have a new model called the road case that might be nice but I'm not sure.
Try before u buy with the PJB stuff, that's what I say.

Edited by paulie

I've got the M 500 and D 200 heads, and 6T, 9B and 4B cabs. As you can guess, i love the stuff.

I haven't tried any of the Neo stuff yet, but i love the pyranha drivers.

I'd say if you want loud with PJB you can definately get it, it's just not going to be cheap, or possibly light. My M500 6t 9b combo can keep up with any 4x10 i've come across with much better clarity at all volumes. I will say that when trying out any PJB gear don't get too put off by having the master fairly high comparatively, i think a deceptive factor is that (from my personal experience having owned 4x10, 1x5 heads combos etc. of trace and ashdown) the PJB gear will sound sweet and clear all the way upto 10 on the volume control (obviously you can make the cab/amp distort by putting too much into teh preamp etc), whilst i wouldn't dream of turning most amps/combo's above about 6-7 as they generally start to distort etc. quite easily.

I bought the 6t and 9b to have a modular combo which could cater for all, then teh 4b becasue if gave me further flexibility (and sounds very sweet being driven hard at lower volumes - suprsiingly deep), then the d 200 as a backup, but also foudn that for most non-rock gigs it had plenty of power - but often beign run high on the master

I'd say the Pro's of PJB gear is:
-Build quality
-Clarity and projection (lots of tiems i've had sound engineers tell me that they've taken me out of the FOH - apart from the subs somtiems - becuase my amp fills the room with a much cleaner/clearer soudn than the PA achieves and they didn't see any point in muddying it (obviously in smaller PA venues))
-Cleanness - alot of people say PJB gear lacks character, however i'd say it's just very true to wahtever you put into it, it highlights floors in your playing and exposes your instrument and finger tone mroe than any other gear 've tried, but this doesn't eman you can't warm that tone up if you want to, it jsut gives you a very clean canvas to start with
-I also love the lack of tweeters, i think it's a much more natural sound, and EQ has a much more even response
-I love the attacka dn transient response, those drivers pack a serious punch aswell as the crystal clarity and depth, particularly great for slap and finger funk, whilst also having a loevly bowed DB sound

Cons:
-Heavy
-Expensive
-Lots of the smaller combo's aren't meant to compete with a markbass etc. small and ridiculously loud combo, they're meant for quieter gigs and studio work whilst keeping the pure tone

Definately try before you buy.