Why become a member? ×

Scratch band gig this Saturday...

tonybassplayer

Due to our singers back problem we have not been able to gig for six weeks and its not showing any sign of improving but I had a call from our guitarist who wants me to play on Sat night with him and a drummer and singer he knows.

I have agreed and just got the set list with a good few on I am familar with, a few that I have played but not in along time and several that I probably should really know but have just never bothered with :)

I only have a few hours available on Sat afternoon due to other commitments so it could be an interesting night but after a six week gig break I am really revved up to play as I cant believe how much I have missed it :)

Good luck mate!

There's pedigree in all this - didn't Lemmy get told to "make noises in E" when he got the Hawkwind gig?

We were playing an awful number last week, which I didn't know much about - so I just knocked the volume down a bit and hid in the mix :)

I'm sure you'll do better than that, mind - glad to hear you're excited, let us know how you get on :)

Good luck Tony!

I did the same thing at the Thornhill Arms last summer, I put together a trio and I ended up singing nearly half the numbers! Good job I didn't have time to worry about the vocals. Speaking of Lemmy, we did a couple of Motorhead numbers that I'd never played live or sang before. It was a great experience :)

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='1166873' date='Mar 18 2011, 11:30 AM']Due to our singers back problem we have not been able to gig for six weeks and its not showing any sign of improving but I had a call from our guitarist who wants me to play on Sat night with him and a drummer and singer he knows.

I have agreed and just got the set list with a good few on I am familar with, a few that I have played but not in along time and several that I probably should really know but have just never bothered with :)

I only have a few hours available on Sat afternoon due to other commitments so it could be an interesting night but after a six week gig break I am really revved up to play as I cant believe how much I have missed it :)[/quote]
Will this be at the Brewery Tap??

Had a late call for a dep a couple of months back. Played with them about six months previous and run through tops & tails of the set. Turned up on the night and there were a few I hadn't plated but knew (sort of) and busked, others I had done the previous time, and some my band do as well (but in different keys).

All in all we got there and it was quite a laff

[quote name='Doddy' post='1166919' date='Mar 18 2011, 11:55 AM']At least you found out the day before.
It's not uncommon to turn up at the gig,have a quick chat about what tunes you'll do,then start.[/quote]

or "do you know this one"..

"..eh..??? give me a clue.."

"just follow me then"

[quote name='Doddy' post='1166919' date='Mar 18 2011, 11:55 AM']At least you found out the day before.
It's not uncommon to turn up at the gig,have a quick chat about what tunes you'll do,then start.[/quote]

indeed.

I did a gig with a band I'd never played with before on boxing night and didn't find out until about 10 minuts to go that they tune down a semitone. even learned Big Fat Mama by Status Quo (proper Quo song) which is a bugger and ended up not doing it.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='1167222' date='Mar 18 2011, 02:46 PM']No, I think it's the Mill Lane club at South Kirby

I like playing the Tap it's a great pub. Have you played there ? and what band are you in ?[/quote]
Oh, I thought that Spike (Landlord) said that someone from Empress was playing there with another band there soon

I have played the Tap many many times over the years with a variety of bands - recently with Spank The Monkey and now with Paddy Maguire.....

I'm depping in a few weeks, and had a run-through with the guitarist to get on with the set. Had a full band run through on Monday and the singer had decided to drop loads of songs to give himself an easier time. Keep on Running in G I ask you. The guitarist helpfully suggested a "singer capo", produced a monkey wrench and attempted to raise the singer up a tone!

Best of luck for tomorrow and good on you for putting your neck on the line in order to get out there. Live gigging is what it's all about and I would like to think I'd be able to take the plunge like that if my band were on hold for a while.

[quote name='peteb' post='1167623' date='Mar 18 2011, 08:45 PM']Oh, I thought that Spike (Landlord) said that someone from Empress was playing there with another band there soon

I have played the Tap many many times over the years with a variety of bands - recently with Spank The Monkey and now with Paddy Maguire.....[/quote]

That could be Gavin our guitarist who plays with other bands if available as he is so talented and has such a wide repertoire.