Why become a member? ×

Lightweight basses...

Feelgood

OK, I won't bore you with my medical history, suffice to say I have some pre-existing neck & shoulder issues that are presenting a problem when playing. As a result I've already had to suspend playing a couple of times and park my Stingray in the stand or pack it away in its case. Being conscious of my posture when playing certainly helps but if a lighter bass means I can play for longer without discomfort then I need to consider it.

So, what are my options folks? I realise this isn't exactly a unique scenario so thought you might have some experiences to share.

The only bass I can remember playing that was noticeably lightweight was an Ibanez SR (can't remember which model). But I've seen one recently up for sale on here because it wasn't lightweight enough to solve a back problem - so maybe they're not consistently lightweight (?). For reference, my Stingray isn't exactly a boat anchor at 9lb!

I've never considered it previously, but I suppose I shouldn't rule out short-scale as an option. Although, other than potentially being lighter, I don't know the pros and cons of short-scale. Anyone care to enlighten me?

[quote name='Feelgood' post='1158380' date='Mar 11 2011, 06:12 PM']OK, I won't bore you with my medical history, suffice to say I have some pre-existing neck & shoulder issues that are presenting a problem when playing. As a result I've already had to suspend playing a couple of times and park my Stingray in the stand or pack it away in its case. Being conscious of my posture when playing certainly helps but if a lighter bass means I can play for longer without discomfort then I need to consider it.

So, what are my options folks? I realise this isn't exactly a unique scenario so thought you might have some experiences to share.

The only bass I can remember playing that was noticeably lightweight was an Ibanez SR (can't remember which model). But I've seen one recently up for sale on here because it wasn't lightweight enough to solve a back problem - so maybe they're not consistently lightweight (?). For reference, my Stingray isn't exactly a boat anchor at 9lb!

I've never considered it previously, but I suppose I shouldn't rule out short-scale as an option. Although, other than potentially being lighter, I don't know the pros and cons of short-scale. Anyone care to enlighten me?[/quote]
Same problem!

I've played about thirty different basses over the last few years, many of them top-end basses, but due to my neck and back problems, I was forced to look for something really light.

I eventually took the plunge for a Ibanez SR500 which I saw on Gumtree for £250. As soon as I picked it up, I new the weight was perfect, but when I actually played it, I was completely bowled over by the playabilty, the feel, and the sounds that it produces is just amazing.

They sell for around £450 new, £250/300 s/h, and IMO they are worth twice that.

Like I said, I have played many great basses such as Fender J/P, Musicman, Warwicks etc. but I can honestly say that the Ibanez SR500 is the best of the lot, and I would play it through choice, even if my neck/back problems cleared up.

Go and try one, you will get a whole lot of bass for your money, and it really is extremely light!

[quote name='thebrig' post='1158460' date='Mar 11 2011, 07:02 PM']Same problem!

I've played about thirty different basses over the last few years, many of them top-end basses, but due to my neck and back problems, I was forced to look for something really light.

I eventually took the plunge for a Ibanez SR500 which I saw on Gumtree for £250. As soon as I picked it up, I new the weight was perfect, but when I actually played it, I was completely bowled over by the playabilty, the feel, and the sounds that it produces is just amazing.

They sell for around £450 new, £250/300 s/h, and IMO they are worth twice that.

Like I said, I have played many great basses such as Fender J/P, Musicman, Warwicks etc. but I can honestly say that the Ibanez SR500 is the best of the lot, and I would play it through choice, even if my neck/back problems cleared up.

Go and try one, you will get a whole lot of bass for your money, and it really is extremely light![/quote]

+1 on the SR500

I have one myself. Its not as nice as my other bass but it is a dam good one.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1158460' date='Mar 11 2011, 07:02 PM']I eventually took the plunge for a Ibanez SR500 which I saw on Gumtree for £250. As soon as I picked it up, I new the weight was perfect, but when I actually played it, I was completely bowled over by the playabilty, the feel, and the sounds that it produces is just amazing.[/quote]

+1

I have an SR505 and, although weight wasn't a deciding factor in buying it, it weighs next to nothing and has one of the most comfortable neck profiles I've experienced.

[quote name='icastle' post='1158542' date='Mar 11 2011, 07:59 PM']+1

I have an SR505 and, although weight wasn't a deciding factor in buying it, it weighs next to nothing and has one of the most comfortable neck profiles I've experienced.[/quote]
The neck is unbelievable on the SR500 too, and I'm now on the lookout for SR505.

Have you seen the Rees F-Light basses? They've pretty much been designed specifically for players who need a lighter bass due to injury or whatever.

[url="http://www.rees-electric-guitars.com/index.html"]http://www.rees-electric-guitars.com/index.html[/url]

They're goo value too - £775 for a British hand-built bass!

The slightly more 'normal' looking version, the Big F-Light is still lighter than most basses and had a very good review in BGM a while back.

Might be worth checking out.

Some interesting options here!

Anyone care to get the kitchen scales out and give me any specific weights?

Just been browsing the Ibanez website and see they also do an SR600. Looks like the same spec as the SR500 but with an ash body. Is this likely to be lighter or heavier than mahogany-bodied SR500?

[quote name='Feelgood' post='1158380' date='Mar 11 2011, 06:12 PM']OK, I won't bore you with my medical history, suffice to say I have some pre-existing neck & shoulder issues that are presenting a problem when playing. As a result I've already had to suspend playing a couple of times and park my Stingray in the stand or pack it away in its case. Being conscious of my posture when playing certainly helps but if a lighter bass means I can play for longer without discomfort then I need to consider it.

I've never considered it previously, but I suppose I shouldn't rule out short-scale as an option. Although, other than potentially being lighter, I don't know the pros and cons of short-scale. Anyone care to enlighten me?[/quote]
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180635881354"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180635881354[/url]
Twas carved from the wings of a fairy.................and its an option being both fluffy light and a shortscale,also could do with another bidder :)

[quote name='Feelgood' post='1158651' date='Mar 11 2011, 08:59 PM']Some interesting options here!

Anyone care to get the kitchen scales out and give me any specific weights?

Just been browsing the Ibanez website and see they also do an SR600. Looks like the same spec as the SR500 but with an ash body. Is this likely to be lighter or heavier than mahogany-bodied SR500?[/quote]
I've tried both and there's not a lot in it, but I would say that the SR600 is slightly heavier IMO.

[quote name='Feelgood' post='1158769' date='Mar 11 2011, 10:45 PM']Did you notice much difference in the sound of the SR500/SR600?[/quote]
Both sounded great to me, but I would say that the SR500 was slightly warmer sounding IMO.
But they are both really nice, and well worth a try.

Obviously, we all have different ideas as to what makes a great bass, but to me, they are so comfortable,
they feel like guitars rather than basses, and once you get your hand on the neck, you just can't stop playing it.

It came with rounds on it, which sounded great, but I prefer flats and it sounds brilliant with Ernie Ball flats on it.

Edited by thebrig

OK, looks like I definitely need to try an SR500. The Yamaha RBXA2 could be an option - anyone got any experience?

Hadn't considered a Hofner violin-type bass. It'd be nice for those McCartney basslines - how does it work in other contexts?

Prosebass always gets positive comments on BC. Still not entirely sure of the possible downsides of short-scale (?)

FWIW, budget would have to be covered by the eventual sale of my Stingray :) so that might rule out a few options.

Put flatwound strings on a shortscale bass and you're going to get "thuddy" - great for some stuff, not so for others.

Put rounds on the same bass and you obviously get more note definition and a more versatile tone.

I've had a bunch of Hofner violin basses, and the combination of construction and body shape CAN define the sound if you want it to, but ultimately you're in control. I can make a 500/1 ( [url="http://tinypic.com/a/r1wm/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/r1wm/3[/url] ) sound exactly like a 185/E2 ( [url="http://tinypic.com/a/q4ir/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/q4ir/3[/url] ) and [i]vice versa[/i].

Same scale length, same strings, same pickups, same player ... it's not hard.