Why become a member? ×

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS !

Machines

Well, it seems are webhosts are feeling generous ! All customers (of which Basschat is one) have just been given a 25% (that's 15GB for us) increase in disk space for free. This was only decided 3 days ago and has just filtered down to us (and should be active shortly).

This doesn't mean all of the work done by people was pointless, a tidy out is always beneficial for everyone ! Thanks for all the effort so far, resizing images before uploads is still a good practice to follow though - it also means pages will load faster for people on lower bandwidth connections :).

[quote name='bluesparky' post='1276295' date='Jun 20 2011, 08:05 PM']I've just had a big old purge.
I didn't realise quite how much stuff i had on here![/quote]

+1

Just one attachment left :)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='1158207' date='Mar 11 2011, 04:44 PM']Does having ur pics on a public server like photobucket or the like mean you dont use up space here? Speak o wise people :)[/quote]

But
does this fetching images from another server not slow it down more than if the image were stored on the website server though ? ( i was told this on another forum, where people quite logically assumed the above)

[quote name='daz' post='1286398' date='Jun 29 2011, 01:44 PM']But
does this fetching images from another server not slow it down more than if the image were stored on the website server though ? ( i was told this on another forum, where people quite logically assumed the above)[/quote]
I don't see how it is logical to assume that just because the request for an image is going to a different server, it will be retrieved any slower. What if the image server is faster, nearer, less bogged down, higher capacity? Then it's logical to assume that the images will appear more quickly, reduce strain on the BC server & make the forum quicker for everyone.
In [i]theory[/i], if 10 images are hosted on 10 different servers, they can all be served/loaded simultaneously & speed things up a lot.

What slows a server down is lots of simultaneous requests to serve lots of different & large files, so the more images that are hosted on the BC server the slower it is likely to be. Image hosting services are set up and optimised for this kind of thing and don't impose restrictions, so you can post as many pics as you like whilst keeping hosting costs down for our beloved forum owners :)

[quote name='Stuee' post='1286499' date='Jun 29 2011, 02:59 PM']I don't see how it is logical to assume that just because the request for an image is going to a different server, it will be retrieved any slower. What if the image server is faster, nearer, less bogged down, higher capacity? Then it's logical to assume that the images will appear more quickly, reduce strain on the BC server & make the forum quicker for everyone.
In [i]theory[/i], if 10 images are hosted on 10 different servers, they can all be served/loaded simultaneously & speed things up a lot.

What slows a server down is lots of simultaneous requests to serve lots of different & large files, so the more images that are hosted on the BC server the slower it is likely to be. Image hosting services are set up and optimised for this kind of thing and don't impose restrictions, so you can post as many pics as you like whilst keeping hosting costs down for our beloved forum owners :)[/quote]

When i said "logically asummed the above" i meant the above bit in quotes, above my own message ie: [quote]Does having ur pics on a public server like photobucket or the like mean you dont use up space here? Speak o wise people[/quote]

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1286949' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:54 PM']When i said "logically asummed the above" i meant the above bit in quotes, above my own message ie:[/quote]
Fair enough. In any case both questions have been answered at least once in this thread now.

Don't mention it :)

So the limit is now 30 Mb ? Now i realise why i couldnt upload those pics ? :)

I have 37mb and dont consider myself any sort of pic posting freak. If i start deleting them then threads will be devoid of pictures. If we all do it threads will be a [i]holey [/i]imageless mess. We all know how many times an old thread can come back to life, or needs to be perused by a newbie or someone whos a tad forgetfull.

Edited by daz