Why become a member? ×

++++SOLD SOLD SOLD ++++ 1973 Fender Precision - Sunburst/Tort/Rosewood

Jesso

Hey folks,

The pictures hopefully speak for themselves....

I bought this from a vintage guitar shop in Dublin a couple of years ago. I haven't taken it apart to photograph (I'm afraid I won't put it back together properly!), but at the time I saw all the relevant marks / stamps / pots and this bass hasn't been messed with at all since it was born in 1973.
I can take more pictures of any specific parts of the bass if there is any interest.

I haven't gigged it much since I bought it, mainly it's been a very elaborate practice bass.
It's very nicely set up, and the pickups have tons of grunt left in them. The frets too are still good for many more years of regular playing too.
It has both original ashtrays intact.
It sounds great.... even unplugged it's got that imposible to fake woody precision feel.
Very decent weight too.... somewhere just over 9lbs I think.

There are a couple of mysterious holes in the back of the bass. Not sure why they're there, but maybe you've got a theory?
Also it has "curlyleaditis" - which means that at some stage someone stored this in a case under their bed for a few years but forgot to take out their curly lead from the case first!

Comes with a fender case (pics to follow) which is in great nick. It's not the original case, but it's from the correct time period.

I don't expect to get back what I paid for it. I bought at the top of the market, and I know things are a bit slow at the moment (here in Ireland anyway), but I'm inviting offers in the region of 2K.
Obviously, I live in Dublin, so for most of you viewing won't be possible. However, if your really serious about taking this bass I don't mind getting the ferry across to Hollyhead and possibly hopping on a train somewhere to meet up.

Trade wise, I'm only interested in Sandbergs at the mo, so if you've got a nice one theres scope for a PX.

Cheers

Jesse

Edited by Jesso

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1157304' date='Mar 10 2011, 09:51 PM']Beautiful bass, but I'm baffled by those two holes. Looks almost like a metal plate of some sort was attached there, but I can't imagine why that would be.[/quote]
Maybe some kind of metal plate that had the owner's name engraved on it? Can't think what else as that position is no good for an alternative strap attachment

and +1 on a gorgeous looking bass

[quote name='Clarky' post='1157316' date='Mar 10 2011, 09:55 PM']Maybe some kind of metal plate that had the owner's name engraved on it? Can't think what else as that position is no good for an alternative strap attachment

and +1 on a gorgeous looking bass[/quote]

Someone told me that some of the german shops used to put a metal plate on the back if their basses with the name of the shop. Seems a bit extreme though.
Thanks all for the positive comments about the bass, it is indeed stunner.
A chance for someone to own a true classic - for much less than it would have cost a couple of years ago!

[quote name='Jesso' post='1157330' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:11 PM']Someone told me that some of the german shops used to put a metal plate on the back if their basses with the name of the shop. Seems a bit extreme though.[/quote]

Even in 1964 at least some German shops were using stickers like this one on my old Hofner 500/1:

Note that the sticker (or possibly plate in other cases) was placed very sensibly on the back of the headstock. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to placing it on the rear of the body, where the edges of the plate and maybe the screwheads themselves would inevitably catch on the material of the player's shirt.

Beautiful.

I saw a P once with a plate attached there with a military army band insignia on it perhaps it came from an army big band or the like, thats my theory any way. Superb.

Edited by phsycoandy

[quote name='chewrocket' post='1157451' date='Mar 11 2011, 01:39 AM']wouldnt catch me lying this bas down on gravel![/quote]

I guess that means you don't have the cash and also haven't heard about how the 'bed of nails' trick works. :)

(bump for a P in my favourite colour scheme)

[quote name='Jesso' post='1157931' date='Mar 11 2011, 12:20 PM']Don't worry, there was a tea towel under it so the gravel wouldn't do any damage![/quote]

I think he was more worried that you might have damaged the gravel. :)

Jesso Its your mate in Galway, Paulie Here

Just to let you know that I was the previous owner of this bass and its a cracker.

I bought it from the Gallery in London. Its light, in excellent condition and plays like a dream.
Its 100% original except for the hsc which is actually an early 70s case also, just may not have come with the bass.

The screw holes on the back were from a name plate which the original shop would have added (quite normal back in the day)

I sold it as I just dont get along with precisions, but I've owned a few and this was definately the cream of the crop. If this bass was in a vintage guitar store it would sell for 3k easy.

Bargin!

Good luck with the sale

Paulie

[quote name='paulie' post='1160921' date='Mar 13 2011, 07:55 PM']Jesso Its your mate in Galway, Paulie Here

Just to let you know that I was the previous owner of this bass and its a cracker.

I bought it from the Gallery in London. Its light, in excellent condition and plays like a dream.
Its 100% original except for the hsc which is actually an early 70s case also, just may not have come with the bass.

The screw holes on the back were from a name plate which the original shop would have added (quite normal back in the day)

I sold it as I just dont get along with precisions, but I've owned a few and this was definately the cream of the crop. If this bass was in a vintage guitar store it would sell for 3k easy.

Bargin!

Good luck with the sale

Paulie[/quote]

Hey Paulie hows it going?
Good to know some of the recent history of the bass!
I must agree with you about it being the cream of the crop.... I haven't come across another precision yet that feels so right in so many ways. I'm a bit sad to let it go, but I'm not gigging it and it's a bit of a luxury to just have it just sitting around as a practice axe!
Yeah I reckon it'd easily go for 3K in a guitar shop.
Unfortunately, I'm not a guitar shop, hence somebody is going to get this for a lot less than I paid for it!