Why become a member? ×

I want to join this band!

xilddx

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1148216' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:44 AM'][url="http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/"]Bad band promo shots[/url]

I have to share this for anyone who missed it last time I posted it.[/quote]
The Hall of Douchebags, great. I could keep looking for ages, but it's lunchtime and I need to get out!

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1149310' date='Mar 4 2011, 10:58 AM']Or maybe this one...

[/quote]
Funnily enough, that's [i]me[/i] on the far left! 'Scandinavians' was actually 4 Brits and a Rhodesian. This guy I knew called Barry Mucas had worked the rigs and heard about the Scandinavian dance band market. Barry wasn't clever, but he was sharp and he could smell a quid a mile away. He roped me and some other guys in and we knocked up a 4 hr set in about a week.

For maximum appeal in the Scandinavian market, we decided to call the band 'Scandinavians'. Barry said it would help us to fit in. We bought some secondhand red Danish wedding suits - see above - from Lord John's shop just off Golden Square in the West End and piled off over to Goteborg in a Luton van, sometime in 1974 IIRC.

No-one spoke any of the languages. So when we were in Sweden we pretended to be Norwegian. When we were in Norway, we pretended to be Finnish. We didn't go to Finland, but if we had, I think we agreed we'd pretend to be Latvian. Worked a treat, though we got some funny looks.

We did about 40 or 50 really well-paid gigs, then 'Beardy' Brian the drummer got into one with some Swedish bikers. They bayonetted his head to the door of a disco in Malmo and the rest of us had to leave a bit hurriedly. It's actually referred to in Hugh Cornwell's autobiography.

Great days.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1149327' date='Mar 4 2011, 11:15 AM']Funnily enough, that's [i]me[/i] on the far left! 'Scandinavians' was actually 4 Brits and a Rhodesian. This guy I knew called Barry Mucas had worked the rigs and heard about the Scandinavian dance band market. Barry wasn't clever, but he was sharp and he could smell a quid a mile away. He roped me and some other guys in and we knocked up a 4 hr set in about a week.

For maximum appeal in the Scandinavian market, we decided to call the band 'Scandinavians'. Barry said it would help us to fit in. We bought some secondhand red Danish wedding suits - see above - from Lord John's shop just off Golden Square in the West End and piled off over to Goteborg in a Luton van, sometime in 1974 IIRC.

No-one spoke any of the languages. So when we were in Sweden we pretended to be Norwegian. When we were in Norway, we pretended to be Finnish. We didn't go to Finland, but if we had, I think we agreed we'd pretend to be Latvian. Worked a treat, though we got some funny looks.

We did about 40 or 50 really well-paid gigs, then 'Beardy' Brian the drummer got into one with some Swedish bikers. They bayonetted his head to the door of a disco in Malmo and the rest of us had to leave a bit hurriedly. It's actually referred to in Hugh Cornwell's autobiography.

Great days.[/quote]

:) nutter

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1148216' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:44 AM'][url="http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/"]Bad band promo shots[/url]

I have to share this for anyone who missed it last time I posted it.[/quote]
Thanks for posting this again, I just cried laughing. :) :) :lol: