Why become a member? ×

I'm in love with my new bass tones !!

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1146624' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:16 AM']I tell you what lads, it feels like sitting in front of a roaring log fire you built yourself from cherry wood, sipping a glass of the finest warm, rich and smoky single malt, and telling your queen you caught a 68lb common carp of the Donald Leney strain from Redmire Pool today, while she smiles at you with deep, lustrous shining eyes.

That's what it feels like.[/quote]

I am honestly baffled as to why anyone would pay big money for a US Fender when the Japanese ones are often much better (except maybe an old 60s vintage one).

[quote name='silddx' post='1146624' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:16 AM']and telling your queen you caught a 68lb common carp of the Donald Leney strain from Redmire Pool today, while she smiles at you with deep, lustrous shining eyes.[/quote]

She just can't get enough of those fishing stories...

[attachment=73701:queen_elizabeth_ii.jpg]

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1147136' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:18 PM']I am honestly baffled as to why anyone would pay big money for a US Fender when the Japanese ones are often much better (except maybe an old 60s vintage one).[/quote]

To be honest, I've noticed a big difference in quality over the MIA stuff and the CIJ stuff. The MIA just seemed better finished and nicer.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1147136' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:18 PM']I am honestly baffled as to why anyone would pay big money for a US Fender when the Japanese ones are often much better (except maybe an old 60s vintage one).[/quote]
A certain daft vanity or belief that America is a paragon of excellence and superb quality control :) Yeah right :)

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1147145' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:25 PM']She just can't get enough of those fishing stories...

[attachment=73701:queen_elizabeth_ii.jpg][/quote]
Nah, she's only into game fishing for those boring silver tourists.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1147147' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:28 PM']To be honest, I've noticed a big difference in quality over the MIA stuff and the CIJ stuff. The MIA just seemed better finished and nicer.[/quote]
And you can use the gap in the neck socket as a money clip, if you've got any left after the extra £600 for the [u]slightly better finish[/u]*.

*citation needed

[quote name='Linus27' post='1147147' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:28 PM']To be honest, I've noticed a big difference in quality over the MIA stuff and the CIJ stuff. The MIA just seemed better finished and nicer.[/quote]

I guess it's all down to personal preference, apologies if anyone thinks I'm knocking their choice of MIA or MIM Fenders. I've ended up keeping my MIJ Fenders and selling on the US ones purely based on the way they feel and sound, I've just never felt attached to a US one.

As for build quality, I've seen some terrible MIA (and MIM) Fenders, bad neck joints, poor fitting control panels and pickup misalignment mostly. The quality control on the MIJ / CIJ seems a bit less variable, I've not seen as many really dodgy ones. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I may pick up a US Fender one day and fall in love with it, but it hasn't happened yet!

Edited by Fat Rich

Hey Silddx, really pleased to hear you love your new improved tone. Would you say the John East pre-amp was the main reason for the improvement? I've got a US75 and love it to bits but am sorely tempted by an East pre. How difficult is it to fit?

Edit: OMG just realised John East's place is less than 200yds from my house in oxfordshire - surely it's a sign!!!

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1147275' date='Mar 2 2011, 03:52 PM']Hey Silddx, really pleased to hear you love your new improved tone. Would you say the John East pre-amp was the main reason for the improvement? I've got a US75 and love it to bits but am sorely tempted by an East pre. How difficult is it to fit?

Edit: OMG just realised John East's place is less than 200yds from my house in oxfordshire - surely it's a sign!!![/quote]
Without question, it's the East. I recorded a track for my friends album last night and it was pure joy.

Not at all difficult to fit but I'm sure John would do it for you.

I do smile at these 'tone as a holy grail' stories. I have never worked on my tone with this level of obsessiveness and have had three people this week (a bass player, saxophonist and a recording engineer) independently tell me my sound was great. Stock Wal with 10 year old Rotosound Solo Bass strings on it through Eden Metro.

Just play the damn thing :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1147300' date='Mar 2 2011, 04:12 PM']I do smile at these 'tone as a holy grail' stories. I have never worked on my tone with this level of obsessiveness and have had three people this week (a bass player, saxophonist and a recording engineer) independently tell me my sound was great. Stock Wal with 10 year old Rotosound Solo Bass strings on it through Eden Metro.

Just play the damn thing :)[/quote]
Smile away my friend. :)

I'm far more fickle and capricious than you, and I suppose other tone heads are too maybe. My preferences, opinions and attitude change constantly too. You seem much more settled in your ways and as long as your notes ring clear you are happy. But you play jazz and latin, it's different. The pop music I play means I need different timbres and effects. I've always enjoyed the great tone quest. Maybe for you it's less important. All I know is I found a sound that makes me very very happy. I love great guitar tone too.

I have also had engineers, band members and audience members say they love my sound, but until now, I've not had the tone that speaks true to me in the way this one does.

I'm just as obsessed with hi hat and snare sounds :lol:

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1147300' date='Mar 2 2011, 04:12 PM']I do smile at these 'tone as a holy grail' stories. I have never worked on my tone with this level of obsessiveness and have had three people this week (a bass player, saxophonist and a recording engineer) independently tell me my sound was great. Stock Wal with 10 year old Rotosound Solo Bass strings on it through Eden Metro.

Just play the damn thing :)[/quote]

Now now, steady on. You'll go upsetting the young folks, coming in here like that with your common sense and your good advice. For shame! And I bet you're wearing the wrong sort of shirt-cuffs too. It's your type that cause unrest.

[quote name='allihts' post='1147312' date='Mar 2 2011, 04:23 PM']Quite excited to hear the samples, I was thinking about a P-retro for my Squier (already upgraded the pickup to a Duncan SPB-2) but not too sure if I need one/can justify spending more than I payed for the bass on a preamp.[/quote]
I'l try to get some up tonight.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1147176' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:45 PM']I guess it's all down to personal preference, apologies if anyone thinks I'm knocking their choice of MIA or MIM Fenders. I've ended up keeping my MIJ Fenders and selling on the US ones purely based on the way they feel and sound, I've just never felt attached to a US one.

As for build quality, I've seen some terrible MIA (and MIM) Fenders, bad neck joints, poor fitting control panels and pickup misalignment mostly. The quality control on the MIJ / CIJ seems a bit less variable, I've not seen as many really dodgy ones. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I may pick up a US Fender one day and fall in love with it, but it hasn't happened yet![/quote]
Never found a stock Fender from anywhere that has the build quality you would expect from the price tag. The quality seems to sway between average and quite good.

[quote name='silddx' post='1147311' date='Mar 2 2011, 04:22 PM']Smile away my friend. :)[/quote]

I am genuinely happy for you. I think that there is nothing nicer than playing an instrument that gives you that kind of return. I guess I am lucky in that I find that in my 'off the shelf' set up. I guess its like trying to find your glasses and then realising they were on your head all the time :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1147337' date='Mar 2 2011, 04:47 PM']I am genuinely happy for you. I think that there is nothing nicer than playing an instrument that gives you that kind of return. I guess I am lucky in that I find that in my 'off the shelf' set up. I guess its like trying to find your glasses and then realising they were on your head all the time :)[/quote]

Can one really call Wal "off the shelf"?

Nige, funny what you say about the roto's - I found the Status Hotwires were the stickiest little blighters I've ever experienced - to the point of it being difficult to play certain lines.