Why become a member? ×

Best used bass for around £300

danhkr

I'm thinking about getting get a spare (backup) bass and was wondering if you were doing the same with a budget of around £300, what you would suggest? I'm preferably looking at second hand to maximise the value for money, so any suggestions/ideas etc would be most appreciated. Thanks

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1142246' date='Feb 26 2011, 12:16 PM']bit more info on what sort of spec your after would be good..[/quote]

Thats kind of the point though. Normally I go for MM/Fender types, so I'd say that's probably priority, but like I say, I'm interested in suggestions as sometimes having something different as a spare/backup can give you other options.

I`d take a look at this Yamaha BB1100s

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=112782"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=112782[/url]

P/J pickups, passive/active mode, active with seperate boostable/cutable bass, mid & treb

I had one in the late 80s - was a real workhorse, must have done 1000 gigs with it, when it was my only bass, never let me down

Superb build quality & playability, neck from what I recall was slightly thinner than a P, but bigger than a J

A serious bargain at the price - I paid £400 for mine in 1987

[quote name='Me And My Bass' post='1142281' date='Feb 26 2011, 12:46 PM']There is a MM SUB for sale just now for £340 or so....great USA built MM bass[/quote]

Yeah, just bought it.... :) Seriously, the SUB is a great budget option if you're into the 'Ray sound. Have had MIM P bass and also the Hohnner B2A 'Berger clone in my time, the latter is a great go-to/sofa/travel bass, also lightweight for prolonged gigs. Sound is leagues above the P in terms of versatility, however for some folks, only a P will do...

[quote name='Me And My Bass' post='1142281' date='Feb 26 2011, 12:46 PM']There is a MM SUB for sale just now for £340 or so....great USA built MM bass[/quote]

Yeah a sub is a lot of bass for the money. If I could get hold of one shipped for a bit closer to £300, I don't think anything else would would come close.

MIM Fenders are an option but they seem to have shot up in price. Thanks for all the input.

If it were my £300 I'd be keeping an eye out for a high end model SGC Nanyo Bass Collection like a SB-320. I may still have my rose tinted specs on but I very recently bought an SB-310 for £180 and, for the money, it is an unbelievably sophisticated and well built bass guitar. The best value for money I have had on bass gear - for some reason they just don't hold their value. If an SB-320 comes along in the right colour/condition etc I'd seriously consider changing my Fender Jaguar for it. And I'd probably get change from my £300, too.

[quote name='danhkr' post='1142308' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:23 PM']Yeah a sub is a lot of bass for the money. If I could get hold of one shipped for a bit closer to £300, I don't think anything else would would come close.

MIM Fenders are an option but they seem to have shot up in price. Thanks for all the input.[/quote]

I have a lovely Made in Mexico Jazz bass ( approx 10 yrs old ) in pale blue that I am thinking of selling.

Its in Excellent condition and has just been restrung and set up with a new set of Fender 9050 Flatwounds.

Plays and sounds great and you are welcome to come and try it out ( Im in Leeds )

Will.

[quote name='gareth' post='1142366' date='Feb 26 2011, 02:28 PM']fender MIM classic series precision[/quote]

+1 (Kind of)

I recently bought a MIM Classic Series Jazz from Joe (captain black) on here for £350 (with a hardcase)

Beautiful bass, great value and if another one pops up, make sure you're first to get it!

You can't go far wrong with an old Yamaha, if it was my £300 and I was looking for a backup for MM/Fender type basses I'd be considering an Ibanez Roadster bass. I have a Roadstar bass and it does a pretty good Precision impression but the neck dimensions are somewhere inbetween Jazz and Precision.