Why become a member? ×

Tc eletronic

Mikeg

I went into Mansons with my bass today to try out amps and the tc electronic range caught my eye. The RH450 looked lovely but was out of my price range so i tried out the classic 450. I was blown away by the sound. I was playing through a TC 210 and it was very, very load. The amp seems briliant and with a great price.
Any opinions on this? Also anyone have a better option for this price range?
Cheers
Mike

I`ve got the Classic, and when using it, my band all said that they thought it fitted better within the mix of the band, rather than just sitting at the bottom of the mix.

I`ve used it through a Marshall 412, Ampeg 410 & 210, and an Eden Nemesis 410, and it sounds great through all of them. Great little piece of kit, and very versatile, clean modern sounds to filthy tube sounds.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1139015' date='Feb 23 2011, 07:02 PM']I`ve got the Classic, and when using it, my band all said that they thought it fitted better within the mix of the band, rather than just sitting at the bottom of the mix.

I`ve used it through a Marshall 412, Ampeg 410 & 210, and an Eden Nemesis 410, and it sounds great through all of them. Great little piece of kit, and very versatile, clean modern sounds to filthy tube sounds.[/quote]
I also thought it gave a great modern tone, on the website they gave the impression it only gave a vintage sound.
How are the TC cabs compared to others?

I`ve not used any TC cabs. A couple of the guys on here have, and am sure they`ll be along later with their opinions, which from what I`ve read, are very favourable.

The TC cabs were described to me as more modern sounding than what I was after (respect to The Bass Merchant, they went through the ins & outs of both cabs I was looking at, and they couldn`t have been more helpful) so in the end went with my other choice, an Eden Nemesis 410.

I've had a Classic, and now I've got the RH450, and I've also tried the TC cabs, and they were a little clinical for me - I was after something a bit warmer and old school (for want of a better phrase), so I ended up with a Schroeder.

The Classic is a lot of amp for the money: lots of tones in there. Any of the opposition of lightweight heads (MB, Genz, etc) will be in the same ballpark, cost-wise, if not more expensive.

All this is pretty subjective, though - the only way to decide is to let your ears have a go...

The RS cabs are quite light for ceramic cabinets. They look great, but you have to look after them and buy covers.

I really like how they sound. I cant describe it. Id say there is a lo mid thump to them. Warm, clear, crisp, and the tweeter is nicely designed so it isnt overly harsh or ganky.

Id say they underpriced the cabinets. The amps are also great.

Have you looked at the BH500 range which is a lot cheaper with more toys than the Classic.
Cabs also a good bit cheaper than the TC range although power rating is lower at 250W for 2x10" cab.

If anyone has tried these I'd be interested to know how they compare.

Dave

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1139052' date='Feb 23 2011, 07:40 PM']I`ve not used any TC cabs. A couple of the guys on here have, and am sure they`ll be along later with their opinions, which from what I`ve read, are very favourable.

The TC cabs were described to me as more modern sounding than what I was after (respect to The Bass Merchant, they went through the ins & outs of both cabs I was looking at, and they couldn`t have been more helpful) so in the end went with my other choice, an Eden Nemesis 410.[/quote]

Lozz what do you think of your Eden Nemesis cab ? How does it sound compared to your Marshall 412 ? I am still trying to decide on a new cab and like the idea of a lightweight 410.

Well I`ve not used it "in anger" yet, but in my spare room, at household volume I`d say it was warmer sounding than the Marshall, more in touch with the sound of my Ampeg 410 that I had. They do a 2x12 in this range though, so that would probably concentrate on the low-mids a bit better, get that JJ thudding sound. Don`t know about the rest of the range, but the 410 has an adjustable tweeter, and comes with castors - neither of which fact are shown on Edens site.

To be honest though, by upping the low-mids on my amp, I can make this 410 sound harsh, especially if going through my Sansamp, so that could be a way of achieving what yr after, but in a carry-friendly way. The 410 has great specs too, for a fairly cheap cab (£389). The 2x12 is even less, abt £340.

Overall, I`m very impressed with the 410 so far, but of course it`s when used loud that the real verdict will appear.

It sounds really good. I am very tempted with one of these or a 212 , maybe a 210 as well - Eden say the 210 has more bottom end which would suit my five string well and the 410 or 212 would be great with my Fender P for the JJ sound , esepcially with my JJ-500 head. Sorely tempted here. Trying to decide between two Nemesis cabs or one Aguilar DB212 which would cost about the same....... but I do like the look of a stack ........hmmmmm........

I look forward to hearing what you think after you have gigged it , when is your next one ?

I picked up an RH450 last week second hand from here (instead of going for the BH500 for the portability). Its a great piece of kit. I have it running through a Ashdown ABM 410T and Trace elliot compact 1x15 and the bottom end is there in buckets. Still trying to find that sweet spot between rumble an punch, baffled by the whole shift-eq function - so if someone can give a quick simplistic overview of this that would be appreciated.
Having the spectracomp, tubetone, tuner and preset features on one kit is fantastic.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1140561' date='Feb 24 2011, 10:17 PM']When I join my next band and learn a 40 song set-list, my band broke up a couple of weeks ago :)

I did like the look of the 2x12 & 2x10 together, but wanted one item to carry about, instead of two, so 4x10 it was.[/quote]
Oh that's shame. I'll let you know what mine is like at a gig if I buy one. Hope you get a new band sorted soon.

Yeah 212 and 210 together could cover all my requirements. It all depends who has what in stock and how quick they can send it out. My old Ashdown 410 is going on Monday and I'll need the new cab for a gig next Saturday.

Edited by Algae

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1139890' date='Feb 24 2011, 01:02 PM']Have you looked at the BH500 range which is a lot cheaper with more toys than the Classic.
Cabs also a good bit cheaper than the TC range although power rating is lower at 250W for 2x10" cab.

If anyone has tried these I'd be interested to know how they compare.[/quote]

That's what I'm wondering too, as I'm tempted to get a BH500...

[quote name='CXIII' post='1140645' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:24 PM']I picked up an RH450 last week second hand from here (instead of going for the BH500 for the portability). Its a great piece of kit. I have it running through a Ashdown ABM 410T and Trace elliot compact 1x15 and the bottom end is there in buckets. Still trying to find that sweet spot between rumble an punch, baffled by the whole shift-eq function - so if someone can give a quick simplistic overview of this that would be appreciated.
Having the spectracomp, tubetone, tuner and preset features on one kit is fantastic.[/quote]

The shift EQ allows you to choice at which frequencies you want to centre at (in order to have the largest impact at THAT frequency)

[quote name='CXIII' post='1140645' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:24 PM']....baffled by the whole shift-eq function - so if someone can give a quick simplistic overview of this that would be appreciated....[/quote]
Try running the whole thing flat. Put everything at 12 o'clock and see what you get.

I heard a friend do this with his RH450 and he sounded so good that I've started to do the same with mine. I'm changing the tone a little on the bass but I don't miss the presets at all.

Edited by chris_b

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1140669' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:42 PM']That's what I'm wondering too, as I'm tempted to get a BH500...[/quote]
hi,i bought a bh500 amp last week,played it in a very large venue in belfast on saturday night and the amp lasted 3 songs,,,it made an awful farting noise when i turned up the gain,needless to say its in the box awaiting the courier back to where it came from!

[quote name='owen3371' post='1154242' date='Mar 8 2011, 06:38 PM']hi,i bought a bh500 amp last week,played it in a very large venue in belfast on saturday night and the amp lasted 3 songs,,,it made an awful farting noise when i turned up the gain,needless to say its in the box awaiting the courier back to where it came from![/quote]

Unusual from TC but this is the first feeback I've seen on the BH500 range.
Keep us posted on what happens with it.

How did the first 3 songs sound out of curiosity or did you not have enough time to really get into it. ?

Cheers
Dave
:)

[quote name='owen3371' post='1154242' date='Mar 8 2011, 06:38 PM']hi,i bought a bh500 amp last week,played it in a very large venue in belfast on saturday night and the amp lasted 3 songs,,,it made an awful farting noise when i turned up the gain,needless to say its in the box awaiting the courier back to where it came from![/quote]

Hi owen,

Sorry to hear that.

Out of interest, what cab were you using? Are you sure it's the amp that's blown and not the cab? Have you tried the amp with another cab to check this?

As said above, please keep us posted.

Frank.

[quote name='owen3371' post='1154242' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:38 PM']hi,i bought a bh500 amp last week,played it in a very large venue in belfast on saturday night and the amp lasted 3 songs,,,it made an awful farting noise when i turned up the gain,needless to say its in the box awaiting the courier back to where it came from![/quote]

Hey, I am Uffe from TC, sorry to hear that the BH500 crashed on you. Very curious to find out the cause of that. Did you get it replaced at your dealer or how did you deal with it.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
/U

[quote name='TCEUKH' post='1155612' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:24 PM']Hey, I am Uffe from TC, sorry to hear that the BH500 crashed on you. Very curious to find out the cause of that. Did you get it replaced at your dealer or how did you deal with it.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
/U[/quote]

Great to see some precence from TC here showing some concern for their product and the owner. Top stuff from TC :)