Why become a member? ×

A Tune I've Played On and Mixed

WHUFC BASS

You 'll probably hate the song but I though I'd ask anyway.

I'm playing bass on this and have mixed and mastered it in my home studio. Guitar sound isn't really to my taste but our guitar player likes it so not much I can do. Can you give me any pointers to how the mix could be improved is it needs it...

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1137096' date='Feb 22 2011, 01:49 PM']I quite enjoyed that!
Only thing I'd say (apart from echoing your guitar sound issue) is maybe the vocals could be turned down a tad.

Truckstop[/quote]

I'll go along with that. A more natural guitar sound and less vocal would be good. Like the bass.

Thanks for the replies fellas. The guitars were recorded though a BOSS multi-effects which as mentioned really doesn't do it for me at all. I'd much rather mic up a valve amp and get some natural drive from the valves but this is what the guitarist wanted.

I take you point about the vocals too, on reflection they are a bit loud.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for more seperation in the kit, but guess you can't do that. It gets buried under the gtr, IMV

Vocals down a touch.
Bass with a tad more low end and gtrs down in the main track.

Not sure what to do with the gtr solo.

Lots of good energy which comes through so it is only the mix, really... and how subjective that is...

listened to on my PC speakers which is about par or less for a radio type mix

So subjective I know... But for me - I would say drums up a bit, Bass EQ'd to punch though a bit more in the mids, Vox down a bit and the Reverb on the Guitar solo backed off if possible.

Just my 2 Pence worth!

Nice recording though WHUFC

Regards,
Jon

Edited by jonthebass

Thanks for the additional comments. The drums were actually put down on one track as they are pre-recorded live drum loops. I would love to separate and give separate eq'ing to the bass drum, snare etc. but this is how they came.
I'm really hating the guitar sound as much as everyone else and will definitely discourage the guitar player from using his multi-fx on future recordings. He's a really good guitar player - exceptionally good rhythm player too so its a shame he isn't doing himself justice with a guitar sound like that.

Well I have a general preference for less extreme distortion, so I guess i'm biased in saying ease it off on the the guitar, with a cut on the high end as mentioned earlier, at the moment it kind of reminds me of the guitar in the power rangers theme tune :) Other than that, sounds cool, i'll agree with turning the rhythm section up in comparison.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1156195' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:07 AM']I'd go for more seperation in the kit, but guess you can't do that. It gets buried under the gtr, IMV

Vocals down a touch.
Bass with a tad more low end and gtrs down in the main track.[/quote]

An opinion from an oldie. As JTUK says + a bit of octaver in the bass and as there appears to be echo/delay on parts of the vocals, why not try counterbalancing that with echo/delay on the bass. Don't octaver & delay all the way through but "a bit here and a bit there".

Balcro.

The guitar tone is pretty nasty, I can hear what the guitarist is going for but its a pretty plasticy synthy version IMO. To really nail this kind of immense chugg/grind sound have a search for Slipperman's guide to tracking heavy guitars, he puts it pretty well IMO. Be prepared to get it very very loud to achieve it though.

More importantly you seem to have fallen into a bit of a classic trap of everything front and center, everything as loud as possible. It means you have had to bring the vocal up a lot to make it clear, at the expense of the energy of the entire track really. If you can get the rhythm guitar double tracked and hard panned left and right then you will open up the middle for the vocal, which can then go a bit further back in the mix. Carving space in the stereo field is as important as frequncy mixing IMO...

I think the drums could have more impact, they dont need to be louder so much as poke their nose through a bit more and have more life. Maybe a bit of very very heavy parallel compression to bring out the attack and weight of the shells? Also I'd defintely duck the bass off the kick (just by a dB or two) and possibly even the rhythm guitar of the snare (just the immediate transient of the snare) to allow the kit to really punch through.

Something sounds like it may be distorting a bit when it shouldnt be to my ear as well, whether that is an overdriven preamp on tracking or something else I cant tell...

Thats about it really. Its pretty good though, great starting point for fettling IMO!

I really like the guitar sound, but I would like it to sound a bit more throaty with a little less of the aggressive top end. The guitar and the vocal is a bit too loud in the mix for my taste. The drums lack a bit of definition and seem too highly compressed and not 'airy' enough, probably to compete with the guitar? The bass seems quiet in the verses. Great song! I enjoyed it, even though I don't usually dig on that style of voice. I guess you mixed it with the audience in mind which is no bad thing.