Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratts Disco Basslines

Hobbayne

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135350' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:38 PM']What a cock! I really can't stand the guy. I really don't rate him as a bassist either....[/quote]
Seems like a very nice guy to me.. that seems harsh?... hes a better bassist than most... deserves a little respect maybe...

possibly his sense of humour that irritates you?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1135383' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:56 PM']Seems like a very nice guy to me.. that seems harsh?... hes a better bassist than most... deserves a little respect maybe...

possibly his sense of humour that irritates you?[/quote]

no it's his stupid face....

Maybe a bit harsh indeed.... but you know when you see one of those people that just get on your tits..... well thats him

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135350' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:38 PM']What a cock! I really can't stand the guy. I really don't rate him as a bassist either....[/quote]

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1135383' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:56 PM']Seems like a very nice guy to me.. that seems harsh?... hes a better bassist than most... deserves a little respect maybe...

possibly his sense of humour that irritates you?[/quote]

He has come across less than well previously which is perhaps what Crez meant. I thought he was cool in that clip though. Perhaps he's mellowing with age, happens to even the most cocklike of us :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1135389' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:59 PM']He has come across less than well previously which is perhaps what Crez meant.[/quote]

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135387' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:58 PM']no it's his stupid face....

Maybe a bit harsh indeed.... but you know when you see one of those people that just get on your tits..... well thats him[/quote]

Or not :)

[quote name='KevB' post='1135406' date='Feb 21 2011, 01:14 PM']I tried listening to him when he was doing a stint on Planet Rock.[/quote]

Yeah that was a disappointing show, listen to it once, never again. A talented writer, I really liked his book. As for his playing check out the outo of Madonna's Like A Prayer (album version) very nice indeed.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1135445' date='Feb 21 2011, 01:38 PM']Yeah that was a disappointing show, listen to it once, never again. A talented writer, I really liked his book. As for his playing check out the outo of Madonna's Like A Prayer (album version) very nice indeed.[/quote]

He's not alone though, there are plenty of guest presenters they've had on there that just don't work out. I was a bit more surprised with Pratt because his book and his stand up 'evenings with' seemed to get good reviews on the whole so expected a bit more from him. Some of the ones they have used are actually front men who should be used to articulating themselves in front of an audience but stick them on the radio and they just sound awkward. I think one of the better ones was Fish but I don't think he's done anything on there for some time.

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135350' date='Feb 21 2011, 01:38 PM']What a cock! I really can't stand the guy. I really don't rate him as a bassist either....[/quote]

you're either in bad mood or far out to be rated as a bassist aswell

Edited by dr1

I was incredibly disappointed by his book; to me all it basically consisted of was a roll call of his famous mates and lots of boring & clichéd tales of how many times he's got really pissed with them. I found nothing in there to suggest it had been written by a wonderful wit & raconteur, which is how he seems to be regarded.

His stint on Planet Rock was pretty much the same too; he only seemed to play stuff by his muso chums or things that he had played on himself. It came across as one big ego trip to me.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1135549' date='Feb 21 2011, 02:41 PM']I was incredibly disappointed by his book; to me all it basically consisted of was a roll call of his famous mates and lots of boring & clichéd tales of how many times he's got really pissed with them. I found nothing in there to suggest it had been written by a wonderful wit & raconteur, which is how he seems to be regarded.[/quote]

On reading it and a few other articles/interviews, I couldn't escape the feeling that he got very lucky at a time when there didn't seem to be a lot of integrity or soul in the music scene. But hey, you can't give a guy a hard time for his good luck. There's worse bassists who are far more famous, and no doubt plenty of much better ones we'll never hear of, and I guess that's life :)

C

[quote name='crez5150' post='1135548' date='Feb 21 2011, 02:38 PM']No he really is a cock! :)[/quote]

MB1. :)
Good Evening! I'm from Essex in case you could'nt tell!
My given name is Dickie! i come from Billericay!
....and im doing Very Well! :lol:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='MB1' post='1135632' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:33 PM']MB1. :)
Good Evening! I'm from Essex in case you could'nt tell!
My given name is Dickie! i come from Billericay!
....and im doing Really Well! :)[/quote]
yeah he didn't mention The Hanningfields as I guess he couldn't find anything that rhymed with it..... oh well perhaps Mr. Pratt will come up with a witty anecdote about it....