Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratts Disco Basslines

Hobbayne

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1137209' date='Feb 22 2011, 03:39 PM']I do have his book but so far its unread (2 years now, sitting on a shelf).[/quote]
Do yourself a favour and have a read, there are some funny anecdotes in there (the flight with Jimmy Page and the aftermath made me smile) and you can finish it really quickly as it's a pretty light read. It's Guy's own inside view of the biz rather than a bassist's guide (or whatever) although there are some good anorak pages at the end regarding gear. I read it twice and enjoyed it both times. GP is from an arty background and he's obviously been lucky with a number of breaks, so can sometimes seem a bit removed from us ordinary BC types, but he is still a bass player (so is one of us) and pretty good at what he does IMO. He is certainly self deprecating enough to quote Dave Gilmour when he said, "Bass players are ten a penny but a good wit is hard to find". Or something like that.

[quote name='dumelow' post='1136642' date='Feb 22 2011, 02:04 AM']i think he probably has acted like a dick most of his life though, most musicians do. just a good job that most of the time when i listen to music i dont have to be in the same room as them[/quote]

the music scene is so pressured that the players that do succeed have been through a lot of rejection and hard work to get there. Does this give them the right to be arrogant? not all the time, but its accepted in music that its how it goes.

Having said all this i met Paul Turner today and the man is not at all arrogant but instead is very helpful and down to earth. Also what an amazing player! His timing is incredible, also Rob Harris and Derek Mackenzie are equally fantastic

Bizarre thread

I think that GP says in the introduction of the book that it is by and large a collection of anecdotes of his experiences with famous people that he has come across over the years and he seems happy enough to admit that he has acted like a tw*t on occasions when he has been stoned (who hasn't)!

You don't get a CV like that without being very very good and I think that a lot of the good luck that he has undoubtedly enjoyed has come about because of his incredibly positive outlook to life!

Great player, very funny bloke and very unpretentious…..