Why become a member? ×

If you are buying from the States... which courier?

warwickhunt

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1134053' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:12 AM']It cost me $120 to send a boat anchor Precision Elite in a boat anchor hard case from the US to home via USPS (not UPS) in 2004.

Have prices really gone up that much??[/quote]

Seems USPS won't insure for the full value!

[quote name='leschirons' post='1134059' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:17 AM']I bought a bass from Bass Central and it cost me $250 to France via UPS, fully insured, for the full value. Took about 5 days. Obviously there was duty and TVA on top when it got here.[/quote]

Quote from the seller;

"Cheapest of the three is $437.53, that's UPS."

Maybe the problem is that you're buying privately and there's some sort of retail pricing involved. Obviously I'd bought from a shop so I'd guess that they have some sort of turnover deal going on with the couriers.

We have a friend here with a large turnover in sending out parcels and they can get up to 30kgs delivered anywhere in Europe for €16. When I've tried to do that off my own back with the same courier, it's 3 times the price.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1134073' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:36 AM']The guitars & basses I've had shipped from the states I've had sent by USPS & I've had no trouble at all.
Very reasonable prices & very quick too - my Hamer 12 string bass was in my hands 48 hours after buying it![/quote]
I'm double checking on the USPS option. Did you get full insurance cover?

[quote name='leschirons' post='1134080' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:43 AM']Maybe the problem is that you're buying privately and there's some sort of retail pricing involved. Obviously I'd bought from a shop so I'd guess that they have some sort of turnover deal going on with the couriers.[/quote]
You may be right!

[quote name='Johnston' post='1134092' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:52 AM']before you decide on ups

[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/259221-ups-destroyed-grand-prize-hahn-guitar-claim-denied.html"]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-disc...aim-denied.html[/url][/quote]

UPS and USPS are very different but I'm reading that now! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1134064' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:22 AM']Seems USPS won't insure for the full value!

Quote from the seller;

"Cheapest of the three is $437.53, that's UPS."[/quote]

All the basses I've had from the States - 3 vintage Rics - have been sent via USPS, cost around $120-$150 insured, and they were all over £2k basses. Make sure it's tracked though; the first bass I ever bought off ebay wasn't tracked (didn't occur to either of us, both newbies) and disappeared off the face of the earth. Took me a year to get the insurance too.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1134025' date='Feb 20 2011, 08:23 AM']I have my eye on a bass over on TB but the guy has received 3 shipping quotes and the cheapest (to send it in the case which I prefer) is $450... anybody got experience of who to use that is reasonable, as last time I shipped it was UPS but they want $500+[/quote]

Use Fedex, certain days are cheaper than others. Best to get it collected on a Friday for delivery on a Tuesday.

I've bought two Acme cabs from the US in the last four months, one a weighty B2 and recently a B1, I paid about $150 for the B2, and $120 for the B1.

Another good thing about Fedex is they bill you later for the import duty and VAT.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1134334' date='Feb 20 2011, 02:16 PM']Just did a quick quote on Interparcel - FedEx was £254 + vat.[/quote]

That'll be about $370... not great and at those sorts of prices I'm not far off the cost of a new Sterling especially when you add the taxes etc!

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1134310' date='Feb 20 2011, 01:53 PM']Use Fedex, certain days are cheaper than others. Best to get it collected on a Friday for delivery on a Tuesday.

I've bought two Acme cabs from the US in the last four months, one a weighty B2 and recently a B1, I paid about $150 for the B2, and $120 for the B1.

Another good thing about Fedex is they bill you later for the import duty and VAT.[/quote]

Tried what you suggested and Fed-Ex were $600! :)

Have the guy take the neck off, and you'll reduce the size, that should bring the price way down.

It'll be safe as long as it's well packaged. I bought a Modulus from a guy on Talkbass a few years ago. He did this, and I saved quite a bit.

I think it must be because it's a private individual sending the item. My Acme B2 weighs more than a bass.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1134313' date='Feb 20 2011, 01:55 PM']Try to avoid USPS, it'll be Royal Mail when it gets this side of the Atlantic, they'll keep you waiting for days and days before writing to you to go and collect it. You'll then have to pay import duty, VAT and their fee before they'll release it to you.[/quote]
That's never happened to me. Everything has been delivered to the door & I've paid the import duties & tax there & then.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1134089' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:50 AM']I'm double checking on the USPS option. Did you get full insurance cover?[/quote]
The bass wasn't very expensive so I just took the risk. I didn't see the point in spending as much on the shipping as the bass cost just to get it insured. From all the stories I've heard over the years even if you have insurance cover it's an absolute nightmare trying to get a courier to pay out in the event something happened to it.

I've been really lucky though & never once had any issues with having gear shipped either from abroad or in this country. If I'd had something destroyed I'd probably feel differently.

Edited by RhysP

My $0.02

UPS and Fedex generally have similar pricing. Personally, I prefer FedEx, though others will prefer UPS. If you ship instruments long enough you will have your own horror stories about both and can make your own choice as to who breaks what less often. The price will depend on who is being billed for the shipping. If a business is sending the package, you should be able to get a better rate, compared to a private seller. I would think it would cost something around $300+ to ship a bass to the UK privately using FedEx's International Economy service, which is about a 4-day turnaround based on my experience (and assuming no customs hassles). I have a FedEx account which lets me ship for about half that price. International Priority and International First services are dearer; though the less time the package spends in their hands the better and it may be worth it to you. As mentioned previously, at least here in the US, UPS will ask for import duty plus their fee when they deliver the bass assuming you're in when they deliver, else they will bill you later. FedEx will bill later, but you pay the same (including a handling fee). The shipping price is based on volumetric weight, so you need to have the dimensions of the package as well as the weight to get an accurate cost estimate. As others have indicated, taking the neck off will give you a smaller package and cheaper, but you will forego the hard case.

USPS is the US equivalent to the Royal Mail and has nothing to do with UPS. It is possible to ship instruments with them, but there are size limitations, so the bass in case and an oversize box may be rejected as too large. USPS tends to be cheaper, especially if you take the neck off, but they are slower and you don't have the ability to track the package as well as you can with the courier services. Based on my own experiences, very little ever gets truly lost forever.

As always, insurance is everything, and you need to read the fine print to make sure that the instrument is covered. Just because they take your money for insurance does not mean that you are actually covered should you need to make a claim. Musical instruments may be excluded or capped at a certain value and you may need to satisfy certain minimum packaging requirements. Remember also that your insurance valuation will factor in to how much your are charged in tax.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1134475' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:29 PM']That's never happened to me. Everything has been delivered to the door & I've paid the import duties & tax there & then.

The bass wasn't very expensive so I just took the risk. I didn't see the point in spending as much on the shipping as the bass cost just to get it insured. From all the stories I've heard over the years even if you have insurance cover it's an absolute nightmare trying to get a courier to pay out in the event something happened to it.

I've been really lucky though & never once had any issues with having gear shipped either from abroad or in this country. If I'd had something destroyed I'd probably feel differently.[/quote]

I've had to wait every time; am currently waiting for the most recent one. They send you a form where you disclose how much the bass cost (you have to provide proof) and then when they receive it they send you another letter detailing how much duty you have to pay.

If the bass was a cheap-ish one I may think twice about insurance. With the ones I've been buying, no way; that first one that never got here taught me a big lesson.

There don't seem to be any hard and fast rules when it comes from shipping from abroad. Just a load of personal experiences, and what you hear from other people.

IME no individual carrier is better than another. For each example of excellent service form a particular carrier someone else will have a complete horror story.

These are my experiences. YMMV as they say...

AFAIK none of the instruments I've had sent from the US have had any special insurance on them although the most I've paid for an individual instrument has been $999 plus postage. The basses I've had from Japan claim to have been insured up to the value I've paid for them, but I've never needed to test this.

Most of the instruments I've imported from the US have been sent by USPS. They have been tracked all the way to my door (provided that the sender sends me a tracking number) using the [url="http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm"]USPS web site[/url] until it leaves the US and from there with [url="http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw"]Parcel Force[/url]. Parcel Force won't deliver until you pay the VAT/Duty/Clearance fee, which they send you a bill for once the parcel arrives at your local depot. It normally takes about 12 days door-to-door, but it can take up to 3 weeks. The last instrument I got from the US (a guitar in a rectangular hardcase) cost $115 for the postage.

I've had one bass sent to me by FedEx. This cost a massive (compared with USPS which is normally around the $100 mark) $300. However the bass only took 3 days to get to me. Because I had it delivered to my work where we were already registered with FedEx for receiving imports I never saw a bill for VAT or Duty. Whether this is because the bill went directly to the company and they paid it without questioning I don't know. All I do know is that I've never had to pay and VAT or Duty on any FedEx parcel from either the US or Japan that I've had delivered to my work place.

HTH.