Why become a member? ×

Is it fair to ask for full repair costs?

waynepunkdude

I bought an Ibanez EDA905 on eBay the description was "IBANEZ 5 String Bass Guitar (EDA 905)

Ibanez bass guitar in good working condition and with Synthetic Cover. Strings in good condition and very few marks on the guitar."

After examining it last night I found some nasty cracks on the upper horn, lower horn and control cavity (see below pics)

I have sent the seller this message

"Bad news: The tech says that it has taken a significant impact which has caused 3 cracks on the upper horn, lower horn and at the control cavity which will need pinning and refinishing, as you rightly point out the upper horn is the part that sticks out at the top where the strap attaches to as you can imagine that area takes a lot of stress so a crack is likely to spread and snap off.

I attach pictures of the cracks as well as the quote from DW Guitars, if you need verification David's number is on the quote."

The quote is £100, should I ask the seller to foot the whole bill?

Wayne old buddy, this is a sign that you were never meant to play such a horrid instrument (probably worth mentioning that a white crow flew backwards past my house at the exact moment you posted that you'd bought it).

Send it back, go to the pub, and drink to the near miss.

C

I picked it up from his work, he was with a customer so I didn't get the chance to look it over when collecting it.

He has just sent me this.

"Hi Wayne,

I can see the cracks from the close up pics and I totally missed it.

The quote looks very reasonable and so no need to chase it up.

Obviously I want to get this resolved for you. How do you want to move forward with it, since you've got the quote and guitar.

Hopefully we can sort it quite quickly (time to have a go at my mums partner for not mentioning these "little" details. This isnt good for my eBay rep).

With Regards,"

Fair play to him.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1132530' date='Feb 18 2011, 06:10 PM']You need to get your money back pronto, don't even think about a £ 100 repair! You ain't going to get a proper job done for a century I'm sure.

Total Refund - Goods not as described.[/quote]

Just on this point I have had a look at Dave's (DW Guitars) work and even though he seems cheap his work is incredible, he is in the middle of making a beautiful Jazz atm I'll get pics when I'm down there next.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1132511' date='Feb 18 2011, 05:56 PM']You should probably just send it back. If only for your piece of mind.

That's a feck of a good price for all that work... especially in metallic paint. :)

What work are they carrying out for a hundred squids?[/quote]

That sounds crazy cheap to me Wayne too? Just matching the metallic paint would take a few practice mixes alone surely but if thats the quote then fair play and I bet he might get some Sue Ryder P bass refins coming his way! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1132631' date='Feb 18 2011, 07:27 PM']That sounds crazy cheap to me Wayne too? Just matching the metallic paint would take a few practice mixes alone surely but if thats the quote then fair play and I bet he might get some Sue Ryder P bass refins coming his way! :)[/quote]

He is going to drill in through the neck pocket and pin the horn and inject resin leave it a few weeks to make sure the repair has held then blend in the cracks, he isn't going to do a full re-fin.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1132587' date='Feb 18 2011, 06:51 PM']Wayne old buddy, this is a sign that you were never meant to play such a horrid instrument (probably worth mentioning that a white crow flew backwards past my house at the exact moment you posted that you'd bought it).

Send it back, go to the pub, and drink to the near miss.

C[/quote]

.....What he said....

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1132636' date='Feb 18 2011, 07:30 PM']He is going to drill in through the neck pocket and pin the horn and inject resin leave it a few weeks to make sure the repair has held then blend in the cracks, he isn't going to do a full re-fin.[/quote]

Thats what I mean though, He will have to blend in the cracks with some top craftsman ship to make them invisible. As someone who messes with car bodywork filling and sanding the cracks then blowing them in lengthways would be a difficult task to say the least.

Not sure on suggestions for another £250 s/h 5 active? I will have a think......

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1132670' date='Feb 18 2011, 07:56 PM']Thats what I mean though, He will have to blend in the cracks with some top craftsman ship to make them invisible. As someone who messes with car bodywork filling and sanding the cracks then blowing them in lengthways would be a difficult task to say the least.

Not sure on suggestions for another £250 s/h 5 active? I will have a think......[/quote]

I'm trying to find an ATK305 but again hard to come by :)

Hi Wayne - I'd go for a refund if I were you. How much would the petrol be? I did a transaction on here a while ago that didn't go too well & the bass wasn't as described. Thankfully everything turned out OK, but I decided to take the hit on the postage to make sure there was no excuse not to give me my £500 back.

By the way, have you seen [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-EDA-905-Piezo-ELECTRIC-5-String-Bass-/120684196047"]this one on eBay[/url]? No bids yet...

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1132842' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:57 PM']Yeah, get a full refund and look into MM Ray 5 clones?[/quote]

Like a SUB

This is the what the guy has said again fair play.

"Hi Wayne,

Totally see where you're coming from mate!

I am more than happy to pay the £100 for the repair as the repairer is known to you, and you rate him highly. That way you get a used and professionally repaired guitar to add to your collection and all done and sorted.

Only other real option is for me to refund the £200 and we meet somewhere in the middle like clacket lane services. If you want to do that then I can do it next Saturday as I am away on a long weekend and not back till middle of next week. I would bring cash for you to save you on the paypal incoming fees. They charge you when money gets paid into your account!

Let me know what you want to do, that you feel is best for you and we can sort it for that. Sorry for things not going as smoothly as it should be."