Why become a member? ×

Is it fair to ask for full repair costs?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1135029' date='Feb 21 2011, 04:44 AM']backtracking slightly, but those cracks. looks like it's been kept in a bad environment which has caused the wood to move. if the bass had been dropped there would be evidence of the impact, ie, a shatter somewhere. the fact that it stems from the neck pocket says it all. the damage is superficial if thats the case.[/quote]
It's not made from wood though. It's Luthite.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1135029' date='Feb 21 2011, 04:44 AM']backtracking slightly, but those cracks. looks like it's been kept in a bad environment which has caused the wood to move. if the bass had been dropped there would be evidence of the impact, ie, a shatter somewhere. the fact that it stems from the neck pocket says it all. the damage is superficial if thats the case.[/quote]
Except that as previously stated, the body is made out of luthite - a composite material which is supposed to mimic the tonal qualities of wood. There's not a lot of information available on-line on the structure of luthite (at least little that's understandable by a lay person) but my understanding is that is doesn't have the same directional strength as wood (I haven't seen any instruments made with luthite necks only bodies), so those cracks are completely in keeping with impact fractures. As I said before even if it was possible to pin the breaks there's no guarantee that another knock would cause fractures in the material in a completely different direction.

Edit:Ou7shined beat me to it...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1135634' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:35 PM']no. and don't think i ever WOOD. :)[/quote]
That's kind of closed-minded especially from someone who makes instruments.

I could understand the negativity if you'd played one and didn't like it - fair enough, not every design and construction of bass will suit everyone. Also I'm as opinionated as the next the person, but my opinions regarding instruments are backed up by my personal experiences of them.

While I've not played a luthite-bodied Ibanez Ergodyne, I have played the Cort Curbow which has the same materials, and given the limitations of trying something out in the shop I was pretty impressed and would have bought one if there was a fretless 5-string version available.

In fact the only thing putting me off have a punt on one of these is the potential of the luthite body for the kind of damage that this example has shown. Interestingly I've not seen similar issues with the Cort Curbow so it might be down to the actual shape of the body. The Curbow is much chunkier in its design.

TBH on this particular bass it's the ergonomics of the shape that appeal to me most. I would prefer a wooden bodied one, but that means the much more expensive and rarer Ibanez Affirma or getting one custom built by [url="http://www.rolfspuler.com/gb/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=126"]Rolf Spuler[/url].

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1135662' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:52 PM']That's kind of closed-minded especially from someone who makes instruments.

I could understand the negativity if you'd played one and didn't like it - fair enough, not every design and construction of bass will suit everyone. Also I'm as opinionated as the next the person, but my opinions regarding instruments are backed up by my personal experiences of them.

While I've not played a luthite-bodied Ibanez Ergodyne, I have played the Cort Curbow which has the same materials, and given the limitations of trying something out in the shop I was pretty impressed and would have bought one if there was a fretless 5-string version available.

In fact the only thing putting me off have a punt on one of these is the potential of the luthite body for the kind of damage that this example has shown. Interestingly I've not seen similar issues with the Cort Curbow so it might be down to the actual shape of the body. The Curbow is much chunkier in its design.

TBH on this particular bass it's the ergonomics of the shape that appeal to me most. I would prefer a wooden bodied one, but that means the much more expensive and rarer Ibanez Affirma or getting one custom built by [url="http://www.rolfspuler.com/gb/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=126"]Rolf Spuler[/url].[/quote]
it is a bit. i'm just a snob. i have no issues with it really apart from, as you say, the damage here is a bit worrying. i don't get out much so i've never come across one myself. personally, anything with paint on that came out of a factory doesn't appeal to me at the best of times, so lex lutherite never stood a chance to be honest.

I just had a message from the seller

"Hi Wayne,

Just picked up your message. It's a shame but I understand where you're coming from. if we can meet up Saturday at Clacket Lane Services, then I can give you the refund back. If you could bring the quote with you it would also be great as it will need repairing at some point before it's get sold again.

With Regards,"

Must say a lot of people are good when everything is OK but very few can be good when everything goes wrong.