Why become a member? ×

The Great Bass Census

Bankai

First Bass owned - Rosetti Bass 9, horrifying chunk of blockboard covered in sticky-backed plastic, with added treetrunk; EDIT: research indicates that these were made by Egmond, badged as Rosetti for B&H, someone is trying to sell the guitar version for $600 on Ebay!

Go to Bass - 61 Precision, fiesta red, yay!

Your Bass - Currently, that 61 Precision

Edited by LessIsMore

First Bass Owned: Peavey Foundation. The butt of many jokes which you'd only really get if you went to school in Scotland and did you Standard Grades!
'Go To' Bass: Recently re-aquired Fender P
'Your' Bass: Same again, to the extent that I'm seriously considering getting rid of my other two basses, I could do with the cash more than two basses taking up space and gathering dust

First bass: Yamaha RBX5 - Awful 5 string in pearlescent finish, strings too close together, thin sound
Go to bass: Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision - 1 pickup, 2 knobs, quality neck, no mess no fuss...
'Your' Bass: Gibson V Bass - the infamous Flying V that everyone seems to hate but I love it

Must have missed this one! OK...

First Bass : Aria Pro II ZZB Deluxe, defretted when i got it. Nice way to learn... lol
Go To Bass : Rickenbacker 4001. 21st birthday present and still going string
"Your Bass" : Rickenbacker 4003. The 4001, but refined (IMO! before I get flamed by 4001 lovers, I still love mine y'kno!).

First bass - Marathon Replay Series (PJ) particle board, good for anything but not for learning bass
Go To Bass - ?
My Bass - Yamaha RBX800A, Whoooo what a difference to my first one

By the way, has anyone got a manual for RBX800A, please send a pn?

Found a Volume-Poti and how to achieve a more classic sound or a more modern sound useing the
other pots, but I would really like to know the meaning of the other knobs. I`m quite sure that they are for
tone-control or fading the pu`s (sorry I`m quite new on e-bass).

I don't know if it's worth posting this as they've all been the same but..

First bass: Ibanez SR505
Go to bass: Ibanez SR505
Your Bass: Ibanez SR505

Have been extremely pleased with the sound and have used it exclusively for 7 years now. I don't see the need to get anything else. Almost bankrupt me when I bought it though (I even kept it in a sleeping bag for a few months until I could afford a case and amp!).

• 5 months later...

[b]First Bass Owned: [/b][b]Westone [/b]thingy with a P-style pickup. Did the trick....

[b]'Go To' Bass: [/b][b]Fender MIA Jazz[/b] bass, rosewood fingerboard. Half-wound D'Addario's. The Swiss Army Knife of bass guitars. It's the Series/Parallel switch that makes this so versatile.

[b]'Your' Bass: [/b][b]Fender Jazz MIJ Aerodyne[/b], tuxedo black P/J - I think I'm a Precision player with Jazz pretensions.... Truly, the Aerodyne is the best LOOKING bass guitar on the planet.

First Bass Owned: An Eastcoast of some variety with a P/J pickup combo

'Go To' Bass: Fender MIA Jazz Bass - it just sounds good with everything :)

'Your' Bass: Fender MIJ Aerodyne (non-export version) - not only does it give my the perfect sound, but it is the worlds prettiest bass :)

1st owned: Ibanez Blazer Bass
- bought for about £50.00 in 1988. Good bass, amazing VFM, nice neck, light but with plenty of bottom end.

Go to: Iceni Custom
- awesome J type neck (my preference), active or passive, can cover most musical ground.

My bass: Shuker custom
- my design and spec. 'Nuff said!