Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

active and passive

shinkicker

Hi, I am fairly new to bass playing and am currently looking to buy an electric bass, can someone please tell me what active and passive are when talking about bass electronics and give me some idea which type i should be looking at with regards playing rock/blues. I know its a basic question but gotta ask if you dont know :)

Can of worms springs to mind mate! This thread was only recently done and the outcome was about 50/50 as to which they prefer no matter what style your playing. Obviously 50% were wrong as the correct answer is active :)

Seriously though try out everything you can and go for what feels best (can you play or are you a total beginner?) go for comfort first of all, whatever just feels right for you then worry about all the other stuff later.

If you want to save yourself posting another popular thread then the new Squiers are very well liked by many of us on this forum and one of those certainly wont get you off to a bad start and can be made active later if you like without too much fuss.

Enjoy, Pete.

Passive basses are how things were originally. Just a pickup, a volume, a tone pot and a capacitor. This gives a weaker signal that but one that can be subtle and warm.

At some point in the seventies people noticed a battery powered pedal helped boost the signal in long leads. Why not build a tiny 9v powered preamp into the bass? This is an active bass, with it you get proper tone controls for bass/mid/treble and the instrument signal is boosted. So much so that many amps have a special active input. The active sound is more forward, more in your face.

Pros of passive, no battery to go flat on you, moody old school sound. Pros of active, instant oomph.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1110239' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:49 PM']never needed active electronics, never will. it's just a loudness contest. used for boosting bright pickups which have less output. just get playing first, worry about the details when you think somethings wrong.[/quote]

See what I meen about worms? Needless to say after 20+ years of playing I disagree 100% with everything except the get playing first bit.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1110239' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:49 PM']never needed active electronics, never will. it's just a loudness contest. used for boosting bright pickups which have less output. just get playing first, worry about the details when you think somethings wrong.[/quote]
See I simply can't agree with that at all. Having those controls onboard instead of on a pedal or on an amp means I can adjust the tone and output dynamics, while the song is progressing, much more easily. It good to be able to get those changes onstage quickly, certainly is for me. That said, i just sold all but one active bass and buying a Fender Jazz :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1110255' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:56 PM']See I simply can't agree with that at all. Having those controls onboard instead of on a pedal or on an amp means I can adjust the tone and output dynamics, while the song is progressing, much more easily. It good to be able to get those changes onstage quickly, certainly is for me. That said, i just sold all but one active bass and buying a Fender Jazz :)[/quote]

Exactly, I play one song with a slapped chorus where I like to adjust the treble EQ with my right pinky as I go into it, Looks more pro than turning around fiddling with your amp IMO, Plus a million other reasons. I have nothing against passive though and would happily own and use one. Its not as simple as one or the other is it?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='silddx' post='1110255' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:56 PM']See I simply can't agree with that at all. Having those controls onboard instead of on a pedal or on an amp means I can adjust the tone and output dynamics, while the song is progressing, much more easily. It good to be able to get those changes onstage quickly, certainly is for me. That said, i just sold all but one active bass and buying a Fender Jazz :)[/quote]
never used pedals either :) in fact just lately i don't even drive my lead stuff. i just dig a pure sound. we don't play at huge volume so it works for me. i'm finally clean!

The other thing when this comes up (about once a fortnight) is the guys who say "Im totally passive man, P bass and lead thats me", Err.. look in their sig at the £00000's of active EQ amp and pedal board it goes into. :) Its just at the other end of the lead thats all. Thats not everyone we do have some purely P and valve amp folk round here, Burrito?

Shinkicker

One man`s meat is another man`s posion. Get a bass that sounds good and feels good. Some people like passive basses, some like active basses. I own a G&L which is an active bass but you can run it in passive mode by flicking a switch and this is how I use it.

Most rock/blues music was/is made on passive basses, usually Fenders. A lot of the modern bands, especially in the metal fraternity go for active basses, Ibanez, ESP etc. They are all good, it`s just down to what you prefer.

Bear in mind that if you buy a P or a Jazz bass and really like it, you can update the passive circut to an active circut by adding a pre amp or you could use an external pedal such as a Sansamp or a Tonehammer to give yourself more tonal options.

But as usual, the advice is go to the shop and try as many as you can.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

I can honestly say that in 30 yrs of playing in bands, the last thought on my mind when selecting a bass is, 'active/passive'! Is it playable, is it comfortable, does it sound good/bad (regardless of whether it has a battery), does it look good (honest :)) ad infinitum; they all come WAY before I consider if it is 'active/passive'.

However, of the 7 basses I own, every one is active with the option of switching to passive; I play them all active... with the tone controls cranked! :)

Thanks for advice guys i hadnt realised this issue had alrerady been covered previously i have only just joined the forum, that said i should have done a search i guess ooops!!. I have only been playing since Nov last year i brought a cheap brunswick electro acoustic which has given me the enthusiasm to keep the playing going. The brunswick neck is warped so i am looking to upgrade it, my question really really came from looking around a few magazines and seeing talk of passive and active and me not really understanding what was meant by these terms. I did wonder though because obviously i am going to go bass hunting soon and although i realise the choice will be down to me, obviously taking into account how a bass plays and the feel of it. I would have hated to have brought a bass either passive or active then realised i had chosen wrongly, which is where your help is invaluable to a new player like myself.

So thanks again and im sure i will have loads of other questions soon enough.

[quote name='shinkicker' post='1110336' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:45 PM']Thanks for advice guys i hadnt realised this issue had alrerady been covered previously i have only just joined the forum, that said i should have done a search i guess ooops!!. I have only been playing since Nov last year i brought a cheap brunswick electro acoustic which has given me the enthusiasm to keep the playing going. The brunswick neck is warped so i am looking to upgrade it, my question really really came from looking around a few magazines and seeing talk of passive and active and me not really understanding what was meant by these terms. I did wonder though because obviously i am going to go bass hunting soon and although i realise the choice will be down to me, obviously taking into account how a bass plays and the feel of it. I would have hated to have brought a bass either passive or active then realised i had chosen wrongly, which is where your help is invaluable to a new player like myself.

So thanks again and im sure i will have loads of other questions soon enough.[/quote]

warped neck does not sound fun to play!
best place to find your new bass second hand here on basschat :)

Most rock and blues not played or recorded using a Stingray bass! Which is a lot since 1976 so again I disagree, There really is no genre for any type of bass and I worry about any kind of suggestion that it does, usually from Guitards in music shops. A mate of mine has made a couple of guitars and took them into work to show them what the fuss was about. One of the blokes asked him if it was a rhythm guitar or a lead guitar :) Sounds like the perfect music shop assistant to me :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1110344' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:47 PM']Most rock and blues not played or recorded using a Stingray bass! Which is a lot since 1976 so again I disagree, There really is no genre for any type of bass and I worry about any kind of suggestion that it does, usually from Guitards in music shops. A mate of mine has made a couple of guitars and took them into work to show them what the fuss was about. One of the blokes asked him if it was a rhythm guitar or a lead guitar :) Sounds like the perfect music shop assistant to me :)[/quote]

one of my favourites, as a young kid buying my first bass:
"look it's got several dents in it"
- "well whats the problem, you want to be rock and roll don't you? you will want to put plenty more on it"

or...
"i wonder if you have any rackmount bass amps in?"
assistant A - "what? they don't exist, no one makes them"
"yes they do"
assistant B - "yeah he's right, I think ampeg make some, but they are the only makers"

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1110343' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:47 PM']warped neck does not sound fun to play!
best place to find your new bass second hand here on basschat :)[/quote]

Shame about the neck really got gradually worse, buzzing all the time everywhere on the E string, took it to a guy who told me it was warped he managed to get me some neck relief ( sounds wrong somehow lol ) now it only buzzes around the 10th fret, which isnt good but at least i can play it for the moment. It at least gives me some time to play a few basses rather than have to rush to get one.

EBS freak was in vintage and rare when I was hunting for a pre EB ray and the lady that works in there was quite adamant that ernie ball took over in the late 70's maybe 1980 but certainly no later even when told it was 100% 1984 and I had already seen an 82' at Nicks guitars (now mine) she said it wasn't. Head,bang,wall. And there the experts remember, sometimes it's better for everyone to just say I don't know and ask for advice.

A bit late to the discussion but.. an important difference between active and passive circuits is that the tone controls on a passive circuit can generally only cut tone (ie add nothing, leaving it pure) while the tone controls on an active circuit usually boost certain pre ordained frequencies (occasionally selectable) thus adding their own flavour - a good one will be transparent up to a point before injecting it's own tone.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='shinkicker' post='1110336' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:45 PM']Thanks for advice guys i hadnt realised this issue had alrerady been covered previously i have only just joined the forum, that said i should have done a search i guess ooops!!. I have only been playing since Nov last year i brought a cheap brunswick electro acoustic which has given me the enthusiasm to keep the playing going. The brunswick neck is warped so i am looking to upgrade it, my question really really came from looking around a few magazines and seeing talk of passive and active and me not really understanding what was meant by these terms. I did wonder though because obviously i am going to go bass hunting soon and although i realise the choice will be down to me, obviously taking into account how a bass plays and the feel of it. I would have hated to have brought a bass either passive or active then realised i had chosen wrongly, which is where your help is invaluable to a new player like myself.

So thanks again and im sure i will have loads of other questions soon enough.[/quote]
is your neck 'warped', or just bowed? bows can be easily fixed and an honest guitar tech could fix it for you in half an hour. thats a tenner in my book. a warp=twisted shape or undulations which is not good. most budget guitars are very poorly setup off the rack but can easily be made very playable.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1110260' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:00 PM']Whether it is active or passive won't be a barrier to your learning or you joining a band[/quote]

So true, almost like choosing what football boots to wear, whilst they have some minor impact on the end result it wont change what you can do with the ball and how you think the game

Its strange these days with forums and choice, when I started, any bass or guitar with whatever faults was good enough, due to being better than nothing

I guess its another step in progress from the I learned on a tea chest :)

Oh, and Passive is better

Edited by lojo

In this case, I`d take a look at the artists whose sounds I liked, and if the majority were active, go with active, if majority was passive, go with passive.

Its not ideal, as amps/speakers/effects can come into it, but if all yr fave players play/sound like Mark King, I don`t think a passive Precision will satisfy you as a player.