Why become a member? ×

active and passive

shinkicker

[quote name='fatback' post='1111452' date='Feb 1 2011, 06:57 PM']An important point is that cheap basses can be very good to play but let down by their cheap electronics. If you don't have much cash, go passive. You can add a preamp, onboard or outboard, later. :)[/quote]

I'm not dissing any other posts but for the OP (that's you shinkicker!) the above is the best answer so far -

So Shinkicker, this always comes down to how much money you have to spend!. Sorry but that's the way it is. You're hooked so that's not a problem what to get next is -

Work out how much you have to spend and then trawl through the basses for sale section on here. Most of the basses sold on here (apart from posters using BC as an alternative to ebay - Grrrrrrrr!) have usually been used by someone who's been playing a while and probably set it up fairly well......
If you have a shop nearby go and have a play if they'll let you, and see what floats your boat. The active passive thing really shouldn't be a sticking point for you (although its good you ask). Feel, style and cost should.

Don't get too hung up on the old sour pusses above who advocate one type over the other, they have honed their preferences over a period of time and probably spent a great deal of dosh as well coming to the conclusions they have. I'm not even adding my opinion as its irrelevant.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1110239' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:49 PM']never needed active electronics, never will. it's just a loudness contest. used for boosting bright pickups which have less output.[/quote]

how much more misled can you get? :)

if you truly think it's about loudness I recommend you get out and try some active basses. They may not be for you, fine, but you'll then realise it's *not* a loudness issue.
:)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1110331' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:41 PM']I can honestly say that in 30 yrs of playing in bands, the last thought on my mind when selecting a bass is, 'active/passive'! Is it playable, is it comfortable, does it sound good/bad (regardless of whether it has a battery), does it look good (honest :)) ad infinitum; they all come WAY before I consider if it is 'active/passive'.[/quote]

+1000

IMO..you have to start somewhere, to know where you want to go... just to confuse you, there are multiple choices in front of you.. just try as many instruments as you can... i must have been either great or not so great, with the limited choices in the 60's and 70'...you got what was on offer, and it wasnt that vast.. experience counts for alot in bass choices.. the key is not to waste too much money on that journey...

yes ive wasted thousands.. :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1110416' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:34 PM']is your neck 'warped', or just bowed? bows can be easily fixed and an honest guitar tech could fix it for you in half an hour. thats a tenner in my book. a warp=twisted shape or undulations which is not good. most budget guitars are very poorly setup off the rack but can easily be made very playable.[/quote]

Hi, No its warped, it could be fret dressed to help but to be honest i may as well buy a new bass for the price i brought it for. The guy i have used to check it out is a decent guy and would have sorted it if it was possible.