Why become a member? ×

Own up, did you think your bass/guitar was plastic?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1108196' date='Jan 30 2011, 02:58 PM']I've got two placcy basses - an Ibanez EDA900:

[attachment=70417:EDA900.jpg]

And a see-through P wot I made:

[attachment=70418:pink800.jpg]

Makes a change from plywood... :)

Jon.[/quote]
did you make the perspex body yourself? if so how? is it just like working with wood (generally speaking)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1108293' date='Jan 30 2011, 04:43 PM']did you make the perspex body yourself? if so how? is it just like working with wood (generally speaking)[/quote]
Nah - I just bolted the bits together, plus a bit of painting & headstock-reshaping!

Having said that, I have worked with Perspex, not on that scale, just scratchplates, truss rod covers, ramps & such. If you're conscious of the fact it's a fairly brittle material, it's actually very easy to cut, shape and achieve a good finish. With the right tools I think making a body would be quite straightforward.

J.

Your not on your own Wayne. When i was a kid i used to think all electric guitars were plastic. Right up until i was maybe 14 or 15. I cant recall seeing any varnished/oiled ones back then? I never even handled one till i picked up my mates Woolies special with cheesegrater action when i was 14 or so. But I took no notice of any guitars at all as I came from a non musical family and never had any in the house when i were a whipper snapper. I do remember seeing plenty of those awfull Beatle type placcy acoustic things in Woolworths and Kays Catalogues etc.

NB: Plastic has been around longer than most people realize, with an early plastic making its debut at the Victorian Great International Exhibition at London in 1860 something.

Edited by daz

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1109249' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:47 AM']I thought they were plastic until I bought one, then I realised it was too heavy.[/quote]
My perspex P is about 14lbs. I can't play it for more than 10 minutes standing up!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1109601' date='Jan 31 2011, 03:45 PM']My perspex P is about 14lbs. I can't play it for more than 10 minutes standing up!

J.[/quote]

ah, but Perspex is not plastic, in fact its more akin to glass. One of its trade marked names is [i]PlexiGlass[/i] Unfortunatley though it is easily scratched and likely to become brittle and shatter under stress (It is also sometimes called simply [i]acrylic[/i])

Edited by daz

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1107433' date='Jan 29 2011, 06:04 PM']No. Because I was 4 years old, it was one of these and it [i]was [/i]made out of plastic. Probably from recycled Maccaferris:

[size=1]NB: Tuner placement requires semi-reverse post-winding technique[/size][/quote]

I had one of these too.... boy, do I regret moving that one on!

[quote name='daz' post='1109862' date='Jan 31 2011, 07:01 PM']ah, but Perspex is not plastic, in fact its more akin to glass. One of its trade marked names is [i]PlexiGlass[/i][/quote]
True dat. Perspex is a mixture of aluminium powder, tiny glass tetrahedrons and ketchup.

OTOH, Lucite (as used in Dan Armstrong instruments) was a form of laminated cellophane invented by Ernesto Arnaz (father of Desi Arnaz) and named after his son's bride - the 50's comedienne Lucille Ball - hence Lucite.

Edited by skankdelvar