Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1175447' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:10 AM']Peter donated that neck to me to "experiment" on - the bumps are now gone. I might bung it on a body soon and see if they come back.[/quote]

what happened to it? what did you do to it to fix it?

(I'm jealous, I want to be able to do what Rich does)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1175456' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:21 AM']I have but it was only one time and on someone else's bass. From memory, I found them just to sound pretty much like rounds (they were new) but played like flats only they sort of dragged on your finger tips. Kind of pointless in a way. I'd personally rather go for one or the other.

Yeah they really flop about a bit. :)
I have Hotwires on my Shuker and TI's currently on my G&L L-1000.
The TI's I find are focused on the lower mids which is fine for whumpy old skool P bass tones but where the Hotwires excel over them is that they have a more open range and I find that compliments my hot single coil Lollar to a tee. At some point I'll probably get some Hotwires for my L-1000 to open up the top end a bit more again.[/quote]

Thanks for all that info, good to keep in mind. Next "string extravaganza" period, I'll get a set of TIs to try on one of the P-basses.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1175460' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:23 AM']what happened to it? what did you do to it to fix it?

(I'm jealous, I want to be able to do what Rich does)[/quote]
I stuck it in a box with some other necks and it learned by itself what the right thing to do was. :)

I have a plan (when I get time) for removing the skunk stripe and inserting a small metal half pipe support at the point where it came through before if the innards are damaged.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1175482' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:47 AM']I stuck it in a box with some other necks and it learned by itself what the right thing to do was. :)

I have a plan (when I get time) for removing the skunk stripe and inserting a small metal half pipe support at the point where it came through before if the innards are damaged.[/quote]

resourceful, and it will make it an excellent neck for metal :)

Played out with flats on mine last night, and compared to my J-Type (with Geddy lee PUs) it was a bit too dull*. Where's the best place to buy hotwires - I'd like to try something a little brighter (though less so than rounds) but keep the smooth feel of the flats and with a lower tension. I found I was struggling to fret chords with my little finger, even with a low-ish action.

*edit - sounded nice with palm muting on the E and A, but lacked bite/cut, even with lots of EQ fiddling.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1175766' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:53 AM']Played out with flats on mine last night, and compared to my J-Type (with Geddy lee PUs) it was a bit too dull*. Where's the best place to buy hotwires - I'd like to try something a little brighter (though less so than rounds) but keep the smooth feel of the flats and with a lower tension. I found I was struggling to fret chords with my little finger, even with a low-ish action.

*edit - sounded nice with palm muting on the E and A, but lacked bite/cut, even with lots of EQ fiddling.[/quote]

Online at www.status-graphite.com

Well! Here she is! The (soon to be) Infamous Dark Ryder!

[attachment=75783:photo__2_.JPG][attachment=75784:photo__1_.JPG]

List of "improvements" made so far:

1x GHS Stainless Steel Precision Flatwound Electric Bass Strings 45-105
1x Fender 80s Jazz Special Precision pickup ([url="http://www.dave120.net23.net/modules/gallery/albums/Fender_Jazz_Bass_Special/img/091025022203_jazz.bass.special.ii.jpg_007.jpg"]the Duff McKagan model[/url])
1x Precision Bass Mexican Standard Scratchplate - Black / White / Black
15x FENDER PICKGUARD SCREW CHROME
1x FENDER VINTAGE P-BASS BRIDGE COVER
1x [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=115505"]KiOgon P-Bass wiring kit[/url] (with CTS Pots and Switchcraft jack (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!))
1x DSL Leather strap (actually bought this months ago for my T40, but it looks fantastic with maple necks and much better than the Ryder supplied strap)

Still to come:

2x Flat-top Precision Knobs (the CTS pots have pretty large shafts on them, and the knobs I need are out of stock at WD)

OK OK... I know I have spent far too much on this thing (total is roughly £100 spent on improvements)! But it's always easier when the spending is spread out over a few weeks rather than one big lump isn't it! This is about as close as I will get to a bass custom built to my own spec (that's how I am justifying it anyway!). I know I won't make this money back if I sell it, but that's not really the point! I think I'll be telling people that Ryder is a lesser known over-seas boutique brand.

That is an absolute beaut!! Looks realy good with the black and dark blue :) The neck and headstock have a nice pattern on it too.

But I am cringing at you leaning it against that rough brick wall - Ouch!!

Haha - Overseas boutique - Thats what Im thinking about mine too lol :)

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='apa' post='1177238' date='Mar 26 2011, 02:07 PM']That is an absolute beaut!! Looks realy good with the black and dark blue :) The neck and headstock have a nice pattern on it too.

But I am cringing at you leaning it against that rough brick wall - Ouch!!

Haha - Overseas boutique - Thats what Im thinking about mine too lol :)

A[/quote]

Thanks very much for your kind words! I promise I leant it against the wall very gently. :lol:

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1177474' date='Mar 26 2011, 06:19 PM']Thanks very much for your kind words! I promise I leant it against the wall very gently. :)[/quote]

Very nice !

Here are my efforts
The white one has :
Seymour Duncan quarter pounders,
D'adarrio black nylon tapewounds,
Chrome bridge and pickup covers
Custom tort pickguard
Pearl topped knobs
This one sounds absolutely awesome

The navy just has a custom pearl pickguard, fancy knobs and a set of Ernie's.

[attachment=75894:sue_ryders.jpg]

[quote name='edstraker123' post='1178463' date='Mar 27 2011, 04:59 PM']Very nice !

Here are my efforts
The white one has :
Custom tort pickguard
Pearl topped knobs

[attachment=75894:sue_ryders.jpg][/quote]
Great looking guitars,but still the awful ugly headstock....almost as bad as on the Johnstone bass guitars.....anyone done any mods with the fretsaw/sandpaper yet?

[quote name='edstraker123' post='1178463' date='Mar 27 2011, 03:59 PM']Very nice !

Here are my efforts
The white one has :
Custom tort pickguard
Pearl topped knobs

[attachment=75894:sue_ryders.jpg][/quote]

Another nice pair :) Those dark blue ones ready are fab. Ans the old skool look is realy cool :lol:

As for the headstocks.............. well they wouldnt be Ryders if they were any different :)

A

[quote name='theplumber' post='1178589' date='Mar 27 2011, 06:57 PM']Great looking guitars,but still the awful ugly headstock....almost as bad as on the Johnstone bass guitars.....anyone done any mods with the fretsaw/sandpaper yet?[/quote]

I rather like that headstock - it's significantly neater than many other fenderesque jobs, especially some of the 'batwing' types.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1177113' date='Mar 26 2011, 12:16 PM']Well! Here she is! The (soon to be) Infamous Dark Ryder!

[attachment=75783:photo__2_.JPG][attachment=75784:photo__1_.JPG][/quote]

Well, that's helped me make my mind up for the colour scheme for my Ryder - out goes the white/pearl/whatever scratchplate, and in comes...black!

Thanks for that. :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1179654' date='Mar 28 2011, 03:53 PM']Well, that's helped me make my mind up for the colour scheme for my Ryder - out goes the white/pearl/whatever scratchplate, and in comes...black!

Thanks for that. :)[/quote]

I do like the black/black look, but I also have a white/tort J type, and I want to make a 'pair' like edstraker's

[quote name='Muzz' post='1179654' date='Mar 28 2011, 03:53 PM']Well, that's helped me make my mind up for the colour scheme for my Ryder - out goes the white/pearl/whatever scratchplate, and in comes...black!

Thanks for that. :)[/quote]

OK, as long as we're all aware that I was one of the early adopters and I liked the combination before it was cool/mainstream! :)

/hipster

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1180091' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:30 PM']OK, as long as we're all aware that I was one of the early adopters and I liked the combination before it was cool/mainstream! :lol:

/hipster[/quote]

I suppose some one has to set the benchmark :) for all us sheep to follow!! :)

A

[quote name='macshadow' post='1179906' date='Mar 28 2011, 07:29 PM']Anybody seen a red, rosewood 'board bass in an SR shop recently?

George[/quote]

Hi George

Back in the heady days when these were available I dont think they did a red one. Although Im not 100% sure. Your best bet is to do like us and pop down Halfords and buy a can of your favourite red and have some fun making it your Ryder. There are a few still available in shops scattered around the country and one or two on here in the Basses for Sale section.

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='tom1946' post='1180396' date='Mar 29 2011, 07:28 AM']I have one if you're interested.[/quote]
I was hoping to locate one though SR shops are relatively few and far between in my part of the world. So, indeed, I may be interested...

Have a white Tele and blue Strat so might like to make the hat-trick!

George