Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Dp-200 15h Drophead

andy67

Love it to bits and would dearly love one...however:

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1272&bih=826&q=ashdown+dp-200+15h&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=73d1ff2d575f6558"]http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=...3d1ff2d575f6558[/url]

No chance now.

andy

"The LB-30 Little Bastard Drophead 15H Combo will be around [i]£1350 [/i][b][/b]putting it in the right kind of range for most working bassists."

I don't bloody think so!! :) Is that a standard Ashdown speaker in there?

Edited by Conan

I'm seriously shell shocked at that price! Ok an orange 200w valve head is fairly expensive plus the addition of a 1x15 cab would maybe put it up there but as someone said earlier an SVT Classic and an 810 for the same price....

I certainly could not afford that and mores the pity there...

Edited by andy67

Well would appear I'm wrong:

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/orange-ad-200-bass-head/4893"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/orange-ad-200-bass-head/4893[/url]

Add a decent 1x15 and you'd be up at the £1500 mark! So what exactly would we be paying for? quality? components? novelty factor? vintage sentimentality or maybe just mental!

Still want one though!

Edited by andy67

[quote name='Rich' post='1101686' date='Jan 25 2011, 06:19 AM']Up until I saw this thread, it was the only Ashdown I really really wanted. But not for the price of a 2nd hand car thanks :)[/quote]

And a decent one at that!!! I was thinking that this should be around £1300-1500 tops, I like the idea, but practically speaking i think the head is a better option as like the ole B15's lugging that lot about is not funny, since all the weight is at the top of the cab. You would probably split it anyway. But there are so many good 200 watt valve heads around and this sucker looks like a pint magnet.

I think they've done right with this one.

Ashdown have totally dominated the market for a good few years; rehearsal rooms, pub-rock bands, local support acts, most of my teenage students - all of them play Ashdown amps. So why not capitalize on the brand saturation by introducing a premium line that appeals to the same market. I think there's a separation between your Mark-King-enthusiast Ashdown player and your common-or-garden Ashdown player, and this product aims to exploit the latter.

Yes, its at a price most of us would wince at, but for the band musician who has a steady job that pays well but wants to walk into a retailer and purchase an item, this is perfect. After all, I know in Manchester, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan etc you are a lot more likely to find a shop that stocks Ashdown than any other brand.

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1101809' date='Jan 25 2011, 10:15 AM']I think they've done right with this one.

Ashdown have totally dominated the market for a good few years; rehearsal rooms, pub-rock bands, local support acts, most of my teenage students - all of them play Ashdown amps. So why not capitalize on the brand saturation by introducing a premium line that appeals to the same market. I think there's a separation between your Mark-King-enthusiast Ashdown player and your common-or-garden Ashdown player, and this product aims to exploit the latter.

Yes, its at a price most of us would wince at, but for the band musician who has a steady job that pays well but wants to walk into a retailer and purchase an item, this is perfect. After all, I know in Manchester, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan etc you are a lot more likely to find a shop that stocks Ashdown than any other brand.

Dan[/quote]

Yes they do sound rather good, its a great preamp. But practically speaking I cannot see many 'staffer's' using due to the fact of a lot of live work is direct these days, to use one just for monitoring purposes due to weight , valve reliability, ability to really 'Q' etc would be a pain. Having said all that I am toying with buying one! (amongst other offerings) as the sound and thump of a valve power amp really can't be beaten but will defo go for a seperate head. Its good for tax migitation :) Valve amps are the new fad, it was lightweight gear, now it is this, I didnt think much to the lightweight stuff, but this is different, most if not all of it is UK made (from Orange, Ashdown, Matamp, Laney) which is great, second it is very easily repairable, so if you are a bit of a greeny like me then its a renewable bass resource!, 'cause its not throw away, can't be repaired solid state gubbins ( I am an Trace Elliot, ABM user!), and third if you dig the sound really you have got an amp for life. Modern valve production is nearly there i think the modern 6550's (winged C) 6v6's (jj, TAD) El84' can now give NOS a run for their money in terms of reliability and sound, the picture is changing fast, all the major valve producers are developing, or improving their offerings, its exciting. So now I think about it in this way all of this stuff is pretty good value!

I don't think that weight factors in very often if someone's prepared to pay £2500 for an Ashdown amp.

What I mean is, weight is something we all think about if we have to deal with stairs or long stretches of carrying or if we use 2 basses or a pedalboard. For my students who are in their 50s and just drive between the ground-floor rehearsal room and the cricket club, all they care about is how cool it looks and if the salesperson can sell the 'vintage tone' thing. My older students are more GAS-ravenous than my younger ones; they've the money to do it but not the culture of 'next-biggest-thing' but rahter they walk into a shop and spend a lot of money.

Dan

Think its pretty irrelevant really. I ( who have owned many many valve amps ) would always go for a head and cab. The weight would put me off- ever been near the end of a gig looking at your gear and knowing that you have to pack it in the car/van. Not a nice thought. Not too bad now though I have gone lightweight.

Lightweight rig + good pre-amp is all you need

Bob

• 4 years later...

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive got the Dp200 head that I run with a sealed 4x10 (Ashdown RM 414). I absolutely love it![/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Always been an Ampeg SVT user but was playing venues where I couldn’t crank it to get the sweet valve sound without killing people. I got this in a decent deal from an ex touring artist but when it arrived the power valves where shot. I whacked a set of Harma 6550’s in and experimented with the pre amp valves. Initially I switched the 12AU7 for a 12AX7 for more volume which did sound great. However, I then stuck a NOS RCA blackplate 12AU7 in the V1 and now it sounds even better.[/color][/size][/font]

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]As with all Ashdown gear ive used its never seems quite as loud as the ratings suggest (the comparison I always use with the ‘quiet ashdown’ issue is my Hartke HA2500 will eat my ABM 500 alive for volume) but the tone is sweet and lovely. [/font][/color][/size]

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I do need to get mine serviced at some point as I just stuck the new power valves in without having them biased but so little is known about the amp and Ashdown seem hard to get hold of for advice on Approved Repairers.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1435134543' post='2805707']
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]As with all Ashdown gear ive used its never seems quite as loud as the ratings suggest (the comparison I always use with the ‘quiet ashdown’ issue is my Hartke HA2500 will eat my ABM 500 alive for volume) but the tone is sweet and lovely. [/font][/color][/size]

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I do need to get mine serviced at some point as I just stuck the new power valves in without having them biased but so little is known about the amp and Ashdown seem hard to get hold of for advice on Approved Repairers.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Ashdown told me they stopped making the DP200 because it turned out to be no louder than the CTM100...

As for getting it serviced, why not get Ashdown to actually do it...?

Edited by Merton

They arent too close to me (im in Bolton).

The quiet thing seems to be an inherent Ashdown thing (maybe its the vintage style voicing) but ive never felt they put out the volume of like-for-like competitors with the same rating. As i say my supposed 250w Hartke will blow the supposed 500w Ashdown away!

I do love the DP200, only thing i could see me getting rid for would be something like an Ampeg V4B or V4BH. I like the b15 type stlying, the relatively light weight and the easy EQ, You say it has the same output as a CTM100?