Why become a member? ×

Markbass Vs Tc Electronic

lollington

Hello folks

I'm thinking about getting hold of some lighter cabs. Been toying about with some set up ideas. Play indie rock music, nothing too demanding really, but do use a five string.

Eying up Markbass and TC Electronic gear. Would be interested in your opinions about the two. Markbass seems more expensive, but they do a 15" cab. Quite like the look of their traveller range, 15" plus 2x10.

TC gear is cheaper, seems to have a good reputation, but more limited in terms of set up. Would a 410 give enough low end?

I know the best way to compare is to use your ears (or wallet in my case) but its probably going to be tough hunting down this gear in a shop nearby, so any suggestions are appreciated!

Ta

Another brand of cabs that may be worth looking at are the Eden Nemesis range. Vey reasonably priced, and lightweight, plus good db sensitivity.

Or, perhaps one single Barefaced cab. Would cost about the same as two cabs from either of the other brands mentioned, but Barefaced get a lot of respect on here, plus how many companies offer a months trial on their product?

Re TC Electronics - am more than happy with my Classic 450 amp head - if the cabs are as good you`d be onto a winner.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='lollington' post='1095450' date='Jan 19 2011, 06:23 PM']....Eying up Markbass and TC Electronic gear. Would be interested in your opinions about the two. Markbass seems more expensive, but they do a 15" cab. Quite like the look of their traveller range, 15" plus 2x10.

TC gear is cheaper, seems to have a good reputation, but more limited in terms of set up. Would a 410 give enough low end?....[/quote]
In my view Markbass Traveller cabs are too small. The larger MB cabs get a better sound.
I wouldn't bother with 15's. I think the modern Neo 12's beat 15's these days. A good 410 (or 2 210's) would give you more low end than you'd need. Bass Direct has a used Epifani 410 which will knock your socks off.

[quote name='lollington' post='1095578' date='Jan 19 2011, 08:07 PM'][url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-amps/pid19561/cid561/tc-electronic-bc212-2x12-bass-cabinet.asp"]How about two of these?[/url]

I'm guessing they're 8ohm?[/quote]

Bass Merchant usually have a full selection to try, which is what I did. The two RS212s will be MORE volume than most of us need.

Fairly light, easy to move, punchy tone, and a nice smooth tweeter.

You definitely get your moneys worth with Markbass, they use B&C drivers which frankly are far far far better (and twice the price) than any custom made Eminence driver all the high end brands seem to be using at the mo like Epifani, Aguilar, TC etc... I put Markbass up there with Ampeg, the daddy of bass amplification. Still, its all down to personal taste, i mean i love warwick cabs for that lovely warwick hifi tone but i was in love with Markbass the very second a Markbass 104hf cab punched its way through the entire crowd of people at a open air concert, it wasnt even mic'd up or hooked up to the PA!

I play a 6 string bass tuned down to A, in a very loud metal band with 2 guitarists. My MarkBass 104HF destroys everything in it's path on fairly low volume with no PA support. And that's running just 1 8ohm cab with a 500w head. If anything you'll be turning the bass knob DOWN! I'm almost scared to buy a 2nd cab! \m/

+1 for MarkBass. Expensive, but by god you get some bang for your buck! My CMD103H combo is viciously, stupidly loud, earth-shattering low end (5-string, standard tuning), with beautiful balanced clarity all the way up into the harmonics. And it's surprisingly light!