Why become a member? ×

Yorkshire Bass Bash 2011,Sunday March 27th 2011 to infinity and beyond

yorks5stringer

I thought it was the best Yor'Bash to date.

Thank you Keith for organizing a great event and for uniquely combining origami with the raffle!

I took a few snaps too, and [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49670968@N08/sets/72157626242582339/show/"]here they are[/url]

Phil

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1179030' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:53 AM']I thought it was the best Yor'Bash to date.

Thank you Keith for organizing a great event and for uniquely combining origami with the raffle!

I took a few snaps too, and [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49670968@N08/sets/72157626242582339/show/"]here they are[/url]

Phil[/quote]
Some cracking photos there Phil. I now feel I need to add that I've only had my camera for three weeks. :) :)

Many thanks Keith.

I didn't really know what to expect and haven't been to anything like this before. With a young family, I don't have much money for new kit and, as a rule, I would rather play music than talk about it. However, I had a great time, met great people, played basses that opened my mind about what a bass could be like.

I am sure Scott Devine has a 2nd career as a motivational speaker around the corner. Talk about about somebody seizing their opportunities!?! What a great seminar that was.

I started the day with a deep suspicion of Mark Bass but finished the day being blown away by the fabulous sound of Scott playing 5-string Zon (model?) through the Mark Bass 12" combo (121P?). I love that VLE control. Scott was a bit upset because the Markbass combo was threatening to outshine his own kit :)

Bass of the day for me: Keith's Ampeg baby bass.

Thank you everybody, in fact, for letting play with your basses and amps and for making it such a great event.

I'd like to second the above thanks to Keith for organising - Keith, if you need a hand next year, I'd be more than happy to help. I think you did a great job.

Was good to meet so many forum members, and you all have some very nice kit. I was a little hesitant, being a first-timer, but can see this growing on me; and I'm still surprised at how local some of us are! Suggest some York beers?

Many thanks to Scott and Geoff for their great session. Thoroughly enjoyed Scott's banter, and he had some great advice for a bassist of my level. Hit the spot.

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='1179223' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:33 AM']Cheers guys for organising this event. Had a great laugh, and got a nice Jazz book..although tis not the usual Jazz mag I am found with..[/quote]

BOOM BOOM :)

Nice work, Dave :)

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='1179223' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:33 AM']Cheers guys for organising this event. Had a great laugh, and got a nice Jazz book..although tis not the usual Jazz mag I am found with..[/quote]

Looks a great do and gutted I couldn't make it.

When you have digested the Jazz book Dave, I wouldn't mind a look.

Thanks to Keith - I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I feel I need to get myself a grown-up bass now - my Musicmaster felt very small after trying all the great basses there. Happy to help out next year. Highlight for me was Michael's Promethean.

Regards,

Martin

[quote name='Kirky' post='1179277' date='Mar 28 2011, 11:24 AM']Thanks to Keith - I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I feel I need to get myself a grown-up bass now - my Musicmaster felt very small after trying all the great basses there. Happy to help out next year. Highlight for me was Michael's Promethean.

Regards,

Martin[/quote]
I really enjoyed having a tinker on your Musicmaster - thanks for that Martin. :)

Aww now i look at the pics i'm really gutted i could'nt make it. although i would have felt like a bit of a cheat as i'm not really at the same level of playing as some of you guys, but looks like a very sleek well organised event.

But to make up i bought a new Bass this weekend as i hope this makes it all ok ?!?

[quote name='2wheeler' post='1179138' date='Mar 28 2011, 08:11 AM']I started the day with a deep suspicion of Mark Bass but finished the day being blown away by the fabulous sound of Scott playing 5-string Zon (model?) through the Mark Bass 12" combo (121P?). I love that VLE control. Scott was a bit upset because the Markbass combo was threatening to outshine his own kit :)[/quote]

I was in the sceptic's camp too, then Michael Manring came and played in Harrogate through two MB combos & no PA. A few weeks later, I became a Markbass dealer!

Here are Scott & Geoff at Yor'Bash yesterday (captured via my Nokia N8 phone, hence the not so hi-fi audio quality)

Their links are: [url="http://www.scottdevinemusic.com/"]http://www.scottdevinemusic.com/[/url] and [url="http://www.myspace.com/geoffchalmers"]http://www.myspace.com/geoffchalmers[/url]

PS The Zon was [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/bass-guitars/zon-basses/zon-sonus-standard-5-burl-maple-top/"]this [/url]...the actual same one reviewed in the latest issue of BGM

[quote name='fumps' post='1179374' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:33 PM']Aww now i look at the pics i'm really gutted i could'nt make it. although i would have felt like a bit of a cheat as i'm not really at the same level of playing as some of you guys, but looks like a very sleek well organised event.

But to make up i bought a new Bass this weekend as i hope this makes it all ok ?!?[/quote]
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo what is it? :) We will be needing pictures. :)

Don't worry about your playing level. I don't worry about mine. In fact I don't worry about mine far too much. Everyone is really helpful at these bashes I've found, and asking questions about gear, playing tips, how to learn this that or the other is all part of it. Next time I might be a bit more adventurous and try a few more basses out and ask some more questions. Being a bash virgin I was a little reticent.
Things I should have done:
Asked Keith for a go on his delicious upright bass.
Asked retroman for a go on the black Rick. Tasty.
Try out a few of the high end basses - just to see.
Kidnapped Scott and Geoff and demanded lessons in exchange for release.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1179413' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:08 PM']...
PS The Zon was [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/bass-guitars/zon-basses/zon-sonus-standard-5-burl-maple-top/"]this [/url]...the actual same one reviewed in the latest issue of BGM[/quote]

Yes, that's the one. It's a thing of beauty to see and hear. I actually got a shock when I found out how much it was. Okay, I can't actually afford it so this is academic but I would have put it nearer £2000 before I knew the price.

T-Shirts

Bit of a confession, with all the excitement I forgot to ask people what size they were ( t-shirt wise!) when they paid at the door. Consequently I have 9 people "sized" and then a list of names from the signing in sheet. So I need your help please in telling me what size you need.
You can do this by PM if you wish, here are the names of those whose sizes I have so as to avoid any further confusion:

[b]Sized names[/b]
Scoop
david l perry
Kirky
Gusto ( does A want one too?) please PM
Geoffbassist
2wheeler
Shergoldsnickers
Simon 1964 ( what about Luke?) please PM

[b]Below are names of those who I did not get their sizes and I need a PM please![/b]

Ben55
Mikey R
Jonnylad
Wateroftyne
Molan
Funkypenguin
petegales
Peteb
Alhbass
Mr Bassman
Eddyglee
SteveRough

If you were there and I've missed off your name, apologies, just PM me too!

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1179197' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:14 AM']Was good to meet so many forum members, and you all have some very nice kit. I was a little hesitant, being a first-timer, but can see this growing on me; and I'm still surprised at how local some of us are! Suggest some York beers?[/quote]

Yep, agreed! Four hours was not nearly enough time to hang out and talk some bass with you guys.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1179440' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:22 PM']Next time I might be a bit more adventurous and try a few more basses out and ask some more questions. Being a bash virgin I was a little reticent.
Asked retroman for a go on the black Rick. Tasty.
[b]Try out a few of the high end basses - just to see.[/b][/quote]

I brought all five of my ACGs up. They were there for anyone to have a noodle on. You should have had a go... :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1179440' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:22 PM']Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo what is it? :) We will be needing pictures. :)

Don't worry about your playing level. I don't worry about mine. In fact I don't worry about mine far too much. Everyone is really helpful at these bashes I've found, and asking questions about gear, playing tips, how to learn this that or the other is all part of it. Next time I might be a bit more adventurous and try a few more basses out and ask some more questions. Being a bash virgin I was a little reticent.
[b]Asked retroman for a go on the black Rick. Tasty.[/b]
Try out a few of the high end basses - just to see.
Kidnapped Scott and Geoff and demanded lessons in exchange for release.[/quote]

The Rick was mine. You should have had a go - you'd either love or hate it!

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1179440' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:22 PM']Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo what is it? :) We will be needing pictures. :)[/quote]

I got a Ibanez SR300
I'm in love, may sound a bit weird but i've never bought a brand new Bass before......loving it

Edited by fumps

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1179440' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:22 PM']Kidnapped Scott and Geoff and demanded lessons in exchange for release.[/quote]

Geoff is a very good teacher and motivator. When I started having lessons with him, I just wanted a therapeutic activity to keep me from getting bored while I recovered from an operation. I aimed to have a few lessons and stop when I went back to work. He got me hooked. And four years on, I am as keen as ever.

Here's the other vid I took of Scott & Geoff. Apologies for the sound quality ...my camera, not the excellent Markbass/Bag End backline!

If anyone doubted that a pair of bass guitars on their own could be enjoyable to listen to, then watch this...

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1179703' date='Mar 28 2011, 04:27 PM']Here's the other vid I took of Scott & Geoff. Apologies for the sound quality ...my camera, not the excellent Markbass/Bag End backline!

If anyone doubted that a pair of bass guitars on their own could be enjoyable to listen to, then watch this...[/quote]

What a knockout version of Blue Bossa