Why become a member? ×

mmmm never tried a 5 string

gub

[quote name='WalMan' post='1090180' date='Jan 15 2011, 10:03 AM']Fine for me. Used 4's for the first 25+ years bass playing and the switch to a 5'er was very easy with just one exception, that being I use a Hipshot D-Tuner on the 4 and was used to the shifted positions. Got the 5, took it to a gig without a r/h and had a bit of a 'mare as the positions & muscle memory on songs where I used the D-Tuner were all out. Otherwise, great and I've not looked back, to the extent that I added the Fretless L2500 to the Fretted one I have.

As well as a 'Ray you should also try a G&L (if you can find one) IMO. Great basses.[/quote]

+1 on the hipshot d-tuner.
I use them a lot... and when trying to play songs that I normally detune in with the 5-string, I get lost easily as I'm used to different positions.
I even considered installing a d-tuner on a 5 string, for the E string, but I find there isn't enough room.
Ah well, it's just a matter of getting used to it, like everything.

[quote name='7string' post='1089938' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:28 PM']This is turning into a MM5 love-in :)

See if you can try a 5 string out for a while and see how you get on. Don't worry too much about the extra string, just dive in!![/quote]

Some of us don't play MM! :)

I started playing bass in 1976, first "proper" bass (after the obligatory Westone Thunder 1a!) was a JV '57 Precision which I still have. When turned pro on the mid '80s I bought 2 x Wal Mach 1's, the fretless I still have. I bought my first 5 sting, an Ibanez Ergodyne EDA 905 (yes, an odd first choice, but it was cheap!), about 5 years ago, and took to 5 strings like a duck to water!

I didn't have any problems with string spacing or neck width, love the really low tones and being able to play lower scales further up the neck. so much so that I find playing a 4 string a bit odd now, as if something important is missing! My poor old Wal and Precision spend far too much time in their cases!

I currently have three 5'ers. As my main gigging basses I've been using a Spector rebop and a Euro LX5, both in cherry. I listed the rebop in the marketplace, but would consider parting with either now, as my third one is a cheapie passive Squeir Jazz, which I have now been using mostly. Odd but it just feels "right", and feeling now I should be playing Jazz basses, so currently on the lookout for anything interesting, like Fender, G&L, Lakland, Sadowsky, etc..

I'm near exeter, if you want to have a play on a few things give me a shout if you're not too far into Cornwall (I think your profile says?)...

I very recently made the partial transition to a 5 string after playing for decades and also a middle period where I was a lead guitarist. It is an undoubted challenge as sometimes I am wont to daydream on the more mundane tunes that we do...

I use my 4 string Aerodyne for gigging, but I am now going to make a gradual transition on some songs we do with my Gibson LP 5. It is going to be a bit of a gamble as I often find my mind wandering and using B instead of E, so full concentration is going to be required, but i think it will be worth it as opposed to using sub octavers etc, which are too processed - even the Ashdown.. And it is a too beautiful a guitar not to use..

However, the big plus for me was that when switching back to 4 strings mid gig, i have an amazing feeling of liberation and can really let fly, as i don't have to think about it over much and that also frees me up to do more vocals?! - then again maybe that's a bad thing......

:)

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1092496' date='Jan 17 2011, 01:56 PM']I'm also thinking about making the same transition - considering a G&L 2500 Tribute, wonderful bass!

Also, HappyJack, I've just had a nosey through your gear pictures frm your signature, you've owned a lot of Basses in your time! Some very beautiful instruments indeed, ever regret selling some of them on?[/quote]

Thanks.

Regrets? I've had a few. But then again ... no, let's not go there. :)

Broadly, nope - I never had any of them for long enough to become deeply attached to them, and all of them were sold (and of course bought in the first place) for good reasons at the time.

There are several that I miss (the SB320 and the Wal Pro IIe spring to mind) but the reality is that I know that I wouldn't be playing either of them much if I still had them.

That eclectic collection of basses you see is actually a convoluted journey to discover that I am totally a P-bass man, despite trying (for whatever silly reasons) to avoid that conclusion. I'll never need to buy another Ricky or another Jazz, another semi-acoustic or another high-end custom bass. I've found the sound in my head ... but I took the scenic route to get there.

Not needing to won't stop me completely, of course ... :)

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1092496' date='Jan 17 2011, 01:56 PM']I'm also thinking about making the same transition - considering a G&L 2500 Tribute, wonderful bass![/quote]

I just bought one... al I can say is...

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO TI DO IT!!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

got rid of the Stingray 5 - Fender Jazz every time!!

more versatile - and same spacing as the four string!

NB dont get me wrong, the Ray sounded fantastic - but for me its a one sound horse.
flipping the switch around just gives you worse variations of the regular Ray sound IMO

hate the jack plug in the bottom sdge - cant sit down with it.
hate that you cant go passive too
hate the the shape of the scratchplate on the 5

otherwise its a brilliant bass... :)

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' post='1108702' date='Jan 30 2011, 09:23 PM']got rid of the Stingray 5 - Fender Jazz every time!!

more versatile - and same spacing as the four string!

NB dont get me wrong, the Ray sounded fantastic - but for me its a one sound horse.
flipping the switch around just gives you worse variations of the regular Ray sound IMO

hate the jack plug in the bottom sdge - cant sit down with it.
hate that you cant go passive too
hate the the shape of the scratchplate on the 5

otherwise its a brilliant bass... :)[/quote]
Angled jack plug is the way forward :D
Passive? :lol:
Scratch plate I'm warming too but it not a proper Ray I agree.
Here's Dingwall striving for the tightest B on the planet and you go for the old flappy tow rope option :)

My first 5er was a Hohner B Bass V, which was pretty good (basic active EQ), and was right for the sort of things I was doing years ago. I found that I had a lt of hand problems though - turns out that the strings were too close together and my hand was 'cramping' all the time. Now I'm playing a Blade B15 with a wider string spacing I absolutely love it.

A 5 string opens more positions for playing ( two octave scale with only one position change in the LH), also the chordal possibilities expand, as you can cover a wider range of notes in one position. For me it's a no-brainer.

PS McNach, that's a beauty of a bass! G&L stuff plays as nice as it looks.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='mcnach' post='1090228' date='Jan 15 2011, 10:47 AM']I'm surprised so many people go with "nah, slap on a 4-string" comment. Well, actually it's been two people, but if you read them one after the other it gives you the impresion of a generalised statement :)

I want to be able to slap fine on a 5er... many people manage just fine. It'll just take a bit of effort to get there, and it seems like a step back at first which I think puts people off (it puts ME off for sure).

As for your pre-EB... ah, you just haven't heard my OLP :lol:[/quote]

I have raised the action up even more Jose and it's a lot better for slapping now (about 2.5 mm at the twelfth fret) I just need to adjust my style a bit and actually learn how to slap properly now :)

Now this isn't fair!! I didn't have GAS for a fiver till I read this thread!!

I had a Warwick Corvette 5 string for a while - just couldn't get used to the strings being so close together especially as I was also playing my 4 stringers at the same time (you know what I mean...). Maybe if I'd stuck to the fiver exclusively for a while I might have persevered but I kept finding myself picking up a 4 string every time I practiced. I think my neighbours may have complained a bit more if I'd kept the fiver...

All 5's for me, as well.

It does take sometime to cross over, IME, but once you put your time in, slapping a 5 is easy.

If/when you change, you might want to transpose the string spacings over... and put 18 months of solid work in.
That got me back to where I felt REALLY comfortable.

But...I do think you need to hear the lines to force the change..or what is the point..??

5 for 5's sake...?? no.

I have mixed feelings about the I've had both. I moved to 5 after only 5months of playing, but moved back 10 years later. There's something about the tones of the string between the 4 string that feels just right, you don't get that with the 5's.. All the other pluses on the 5's, I agree, I find I have to pay ALOT more to get the same tonal feel from the 4 to 5, usually if I find a lovely 4 tsring the same model in 5 is not the same at all, but there are alot of factors like it being bigger, pups and more.

That said I'm g*gging for Stingray 5, I tried one and it was loooovely

Just to echo a couple of other comments made here.....I do think its a good idea when you move to a 5 to just stick with it...leave the 4 at home,that way you have no coice but to play it and get used to it....and you will !
That said I'm gonna practice what I preach !!! At the moment I take the stingray 4 to gigs for the litlle bit of slapping that I do (very average slapping I have to say !) But last night we just went straight into a song which has a bit of "slappa da bass" in and I had the 5 on....and to my surprise .. not too bad just have to concentrate on not catching the 'B' when thumping open 'E' So there ...... It can be done , like everything tis just practice :)
On the subject of my Stingray 5 ...... I'm currently here now cleaning it ....as in last nights gig some 'drunken ****' leaned in to ask me something and promptly tipped his voddy red bull over my hand and the bass !!!! :) :lol: :D

I'm not the best player in the world and it's only took about 6 weeks of almost 5 string only playing ( bit of noodling on the acoustic 4 in the bedroom!) to feel comfortable and I have been able to gig both in one set last weekend without any major problems. Another 6 months hopefully be just as good/bad on either fingers crossed.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1092854' date='Jan 17 2011, 06:04 PM']I think trying a bit of both will be hard, I was advised to just play the 5 only for a while then reintroduce the 4 after you have the five nailed. It's worked for me and I think maybe it's the reason many other just move them on?[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea actually. I would have done this had my 5 not break about 7 weeks after i got it, then took fender 10 weeks to get me a replacement. Biggest PITA ever. Putting my 4 in B Standard did help though, made it really easy to just pick up my 5 once i got the replacement and just play away quite easily. Infact, thinking about it, i actually had no problem with the transition from 4 to 5, and also no problems playing a 6 string either.

Liam